• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Toddy Cold Brew System

phaelon56

I just stumbled across this when browsing another site

French Market Coffee Toddy package deal

I have no affiliation with French Market but the Toddy Sytem sells direct from Toddy on their web site for $36. This deal includes a can of French Market brand coffee (you can always give it away as a gift :laugh: ) and a ceramic logo mug. At about $24.50 it's the lowest price I've ever seen for the Toddy sytem and we still have plenty of hot weather left before fall. Not sure how much shipping is but it appears that Amazon doesn't sell it - this may be the best deal going right now.

• 2 weeks later...

During the summer I prefer iced coffee, and the several toddy threads on eGullet suggested that toddy might be improvement over my usual grind-brew-and-refrigerate routine. So I bought a toddy outfit a few months ago at World Market. (Clearly I paid too much.)

My first attempt involved home-ground beans and turned out tasty but weak. Spouse suggested that maybe the premium beans I use for hot coffee were overkill for toddy, so I bought a pound of traditional ground coffee (brand name suppressed to avoid lawsuit) and was rewarded with undrinkable swill. I'd forgotten just how bad robusta is. For the third try, I bought a 12-oz can of ground arabica (Whole Foods house brand). Adjusting water quantities appropriately, I used hot tap water for the first stage (there's a word for the initial wetting of the grounds, but I have forgotten it) followed by cold water for the second stage. This method produced a stout yet tasty concentrate, and it's the method I continue to use. I sweeten the toddy slightly before refrigerating it. For consumption, I mix 25% toddy with 75% skim milk in a pint glass of ice. It's good enough to tempt my green-tea quaffing husband.

For what it's worth, I live at ~5300 feet. My tap water is pretty darn chilly, and the hot isn't nearly as hot as it would be at sea level.

"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain

(there's a word for the initial wetting of the grounds, but I have forgotten it)

Oh, I see. So, the Toddy Coffee cold-brew procedure includes a step for pre-wetting - a step for removing carbon dioxide from the coffee grounds. It's good to know that. Thanks!

incidentally, if anyone happens to use the Toddy on a semi-regular basis and wants to discuss why they like it, drop me a private msg. or reply here, as ye like ...

I am drinking ice cold coffee from my Toddy as I sit here typing.

I can not get enough of this stuff and I think my coffee drinking has doubled because it so easy to make and tastes great. I picked mine up at World Market as well and it is definitely worth the price I paid. Less than a week later both my brother and sister had gotten one too. I drink my coffee iced (all year round :blink: ) and it is so convenient.

When I first bought it I made it with the cheapest canister of ground coffee Costco sold, I figured if it could make cheap coffee taste good....

and it did! I have tried 3 different types of coffee now, all pre-ground, and have yet to be dissapointed. I follow the directions exactly as they are written, 1lb of ground coffee into the big plastic thing followed with 4 cups of cold water, wait 5 minutes then 5 cups of water, do not stir. I let it sit overnight on the counter for 10 to 12 hours, then let it drain out and pop it into the refrigerator. I left it in the refrigerator while I took a week long trip and I came back and it tasted the same as day the I made it!

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

following up on the Toddy query, my assessment went live today, including a cameo by eGullet's very own torakris ...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5728227/

My coffee is cold

The notion of cold-brewed coffee sounded to us, frankly, weird.

After all, heat seems intrinsic to the coffee process. Why would you possibly want to leave grounds soaking for half a day in an ugly plastic pitcher, like so much Kool-Aid? There's only one possible reason we were willing to try the Toddy coffee system, one of a handful of cold-brew options available: It works.

Really, really well. ... (read more)