• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Croque en bouche

brioboy

Hail, fellow Gulleteers! (I think I can say that by now without catching flack). Who would you say makes the best croque en bouche in town? You know, the profitaroles filled with custard and piled in a tower held together with spun sugar? The event is in Alexandria but I'm assuming any local baker would be able to deliver.

Steve?

"Food is an essential part of a balanced diet."

Fran Lebowitz

Well, according to Washingtonian's wedding guide, Patisserie Poupon in Georgetown does croquembouche. I don't remember running across anyone else during the planning process, but I wasn't specifically looking for one either.

"Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cookbook! Little Red Cookbook!" --Eddie Izzard

Hmm, I vaguely, vaguely remember seeing one in the DC area (maybe at Les Halles?), though I can't remember where or when. I'd contact the following people in this order (assuming Steve Klc will read this and so he's not on this list):

Michel Richard, asking for guidance (good luck getting hold of him)

Romain Renard, pastry chef from Le Paradou (I guarantee HE makes a good one, but will he? And if he won't, I suspect he's still pretty green in terms of knowing this area well enough to find one.)

Ann Amernick, because I'd bet she could pull off a decent imitation of one.

Patisserie Poupon (trucks in their wares from their bakery in Baltimore)

Good luck,

Rocks.

P.S. if you get desperate...

We got a croquembouche from Patisserie Poupon for our wedding in September of 2000. It was brilliant! I don't remember what the price was then, but that was 4 yrs ago, so it's probably different now.

Jake Parrott

Ledroit Brands, LLC

Bringing new and rare spirits to Washington DC.

We ordered our wedding cake (Opera) from Patisserie Pupon, and ordered the croquembouche as the groom's cake back in 2002. It was spectacular and a big hit. We had to reserve the date well in advance (~5 months) for an October wedding. They were very accomodating and delivered everything on time. Call to set up a tasting meeting, specify that you are interested in the croque, and you will have a wonderful treat of a sampling of gorgeous desserts.

Don't forget this requirement if you do track one down: (from Rocks' link)

"Traditionally, the croquembouche is served by hitting it hard with a sword, with the bridesmaids catching the pieces in a tablecloth."

Now that would be a display of brio, boy! I wonder if you do it before or after you whack the neck off the first bottle of Krug and carve a flourishing "Z" into the mother of the bride's corset?

Edited by iamthestretch (log)

"Mine goes off like a rocket." -- Tom Sietsema, Washington Post, Feb. 16.