• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Looking for post-Cirque matinee dinner ideas

sagestrat

We're taking our 12-year-old son to see Cirque du Soleil for the Friday 4 p.m. matinee. We'd like to take him to dinner in Philly afterwards, maybe something Italian or Chinese. Any suggest on a good place that might fit the bill for a picky kid who has only recently graduated from plain pasta to pasta Alfredo, a protein-seeking Atkins dad (fish or other forms of flesh will do), and a mom looking for something on the interesting side?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Yeah, Ralph's or Villa di Roma was the first thing that came to my mind too. But that precludes the "interesting" part that sagestrat asked about.

So now I'm thinking Cucina Forte or Vesuvio might fit the bill (both on S. 8th St, near Fitzwater or Catharine). Cucina Forte is a little more family-esque than Vesuvio in my mind. They definitely have things like a giant veal chop or something for the atkins dieter, and pasta for the kid. Maria's dream soup is interesting and freakin delicious. The only problem is that it's BYOB, and I don't know how you feel about leaving your wine in the car on a hot friday afternoon (since I don't think cirque's gonna let you take it in with you). Of course, you could stop at a liquor store and pick something up on your way there.

Mezzaluna is across the street from Forte (where Maria cooked before she opened Forte), and they have a liquor license. Quite good risotti; good white-bean app; fairly priced wines, though nothing spectacular. Dunno about Vesuvio eats -- it's always pretty empty (other than the bar), even on weekends.

BTW: Two weeks ago, I happened into Cucina Forte on a Thursday and got talked into the five-course $25 meal. What a bargain! Had the terrific Dream Soup referred to by jas (s-d tomatoes, mushrooms, bread cubes, chicken stock, and other stuff I forget), simple salad, gnocchi (asked for, and received, gorgonzola sauce instead of the single offering of marinara), choice of 5 or 6 entrees (I had the saltimbocca -- two, very generous slices of excellent veal, plus standard potato and veggie sides, sauced in mushroom cream (?)), and a dessert duo. I was completely stuffed. Available T-Th.

The only problem is that it's BYOB, and I don't know how you feel about leaving your wine in the car on a hot friday afternoon (since I don't think cirque's gonna let you take it in with you). Of course, you could stop at a liquor store and pick something up on your way there.

Or bring a cooler...

If you drive down washington to delaware ave and make a left, you can find great casual dining on the deck of the Moshulu,it's a big boat, you can't miss it, plus it's fun for the kid. (this is not a plug, I don't work there anymore guys).

The food on the deck is contemporary but casual with everything from ribs and burgers to chicken with lemon poblano glaze and goat cheese/bacon potato salad. Plus if it's a nice night out, there is no better view in the city or outside seating.

They will accomadate a diner on the deck who would like to order from the menu served in the dining room which is more adventurous fine dining. It is at Delaware and Lombard with parking on site, right next to the charthouse restaurant.

Edited by tim olivett (log)

Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.