• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Au Bon Pain lures star chef Thomas John of Mantra

Gifted Gourmet

article from the Boston Herald

Hiring John as executive chef, however, has to be the most dramatic indication of the chain's new direction. Don't expect to see such Mantra items as roasted lamb rack with fig and mache salad or spice-crusted red snapper on Au Bon Pain's menu anytime soon - but he will be influencing the offerings in ways that will be new and different.

I found this an interesting article .. is this a trend? :wink:

Why would a chef of John's stature move into a mass-market eatery, even one with Au Bon Pain's good reputation? It's a bit reminiscent of chef Jasper White's defection, a few years back, from his own upscale Jasper's restaurant to Legal Sea Foods.

Folks from Boston, what implications might this have? :rolleyes:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Thanks for posting this story. As someone who made a life change myself a few years back to be with my family more, I wonder if there is anything more to this than John wanting to have a "regualr" life and not one that ties him to a kitchen from noon to God knows when.

Of course the other possiblity is for bigger changes at Au Bon Pain than were indicated in the story. Perhaps they could go in the directions of Eatzi's a chef-centric specialty store that features a wide variety of upscale take home meals, artisan breads and desserts, all prepared on premises - and often on the spot - by trained chefs.

Maybe that's a stretch, but even if they get halfway there the change would be significant.

"Democracy is that system of government under which the people…pick out a Coolidge to be head of the State. It is as if a hungry man, set before a banquet prepared by master cooks and covering a table an acre in area, should turn his back upon the feast and stay his stomach by catching and eating flies." H. L. Mencken

Thanks for posting this story.

One of the primary reasons I had for posting this story was because it contains a variety of ramifications when a chef chooses something different for a career move ... and there are other threads here on similar choices.

Of course the other possiblity is for bigger changes at Au Bon Pain than were indicated in the story. Perhaps they could go in the directions of Eatzi's a chef-centric specialty store that features a wide variety of upscale take home meals, artisan breads and desserts, all prepared on premises - and often on the spot - by trained chefs.

Which is not unlike a conclusion which I drew as well ...Au Bon Pain has seen the possibilities inherent in choosing a chef of his calibre to "upgrade" their line of products. It augurs well for both the chef and for the company he opts to join.

Two thoughts;

One, is that Jasper White wasn't ultimately satisfied in leaving Jasper's for the corporate life, and wasn't even satisfied in reveling in the downscale clamshack feel of the Summer Shacks...He had to pop his signature pan-roasted lobster into the downscale menu...

Two, is that Mantra is planning not one, but two new branches...Perhaps that precipitated the chef's leavetaking? And Mantra has had a spotted reputation, despite that glowing Herald report...It's mostly tourists and businesspeople, normal Bostonians don't consider it a good take, on the basis of value of the experience for your dollar.

Edited for horrendous spelling.

Edited by galleygirl (log)

Ah yes, galleygirl, now the truth emerges ... unvarnished and realistic .. thank you for filling in the "holes" in the Boston Herald story ... that is precisely why I posted it here .. from eG, one gets a more "complete" picture .. :biggrin: