• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Emeril on the cover of WINE SPECTATOR

cupcake250

It's all about selling magazines.

Emeril on the cover will sell more mags. Wine Spectator stopped caring what the food and wine lovers thought long ago. They are much more interested in what the masses think. It's a business.

brad, i suppose this means any egullet members who hold different opinions about emeril (or don't register shock at seeing him on the cover of wine spectator) aren't real "food and wine lovers"?

brad, i suppose this means any egullet members who hold different opinions about emeril (or don't register shock at seeing him on the cover of wine spectator) aren't real "food and wine lovers"?

i don't think brad means that. i think he means that emeril sells magazines. i think of myself as a person who is very serious about food. a "real food and wine lvoer". probably more serious than 99.999 percent of the US. i eat out more, i cook more, i certainly drink more, and i care more. and i happen to like emeril and have been to several of his restaurants and will continue to go. but i'm the exception. he sells magazines to other people as well, and that's the point behind magazines: to sell magazines.

regardless, my work here is done. almost. :laugh:

I am solidly an Emeril lover, and unapologetic about it. Emeril-bashing is such look-down-the-nose sanctimonious bullshit. And yes, I've eaten at one of his restaurants. He knows more about food and more about wine than 99.9% of the people on this board, I bet.

Note: it was the New England Conservatory of Music where he was offered the full scholarship, not Julliard.

I am solidly an Emeril lover, and unapologetic about it. Emeril-bashing is such look-down-the-nose sanctimonious bullshit. And yes, I've eaten at one of his restaurants. He knows more about food and more about wine than 99.9% of the people on this board, I bet.

I'm with you.

Isn't it easy to hate those that are successful? I on the other hand, admire and respect it.

I don't dislike Emeril - just the way he panders to the people who are in the audience on Emeril Live. I think that is where my opinion of him was formed. But, like I said before, the article opened my eyes to another side of Emeril and I gained a lot of respect for him.

Practice Random Acts of Toasting