• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dark and Stormy

Jim Cotter

I have recently been sampling the drink of Bermuda, The Dark and Stormy.

I had read about this drink and was after some searching able to locate some

Barritts ginger beer to mix with Goslings rum.

Several drinks later I hit the web in search of Rum lore and luckily found the treasure trove called the Ministry of Rum. I look forward to learning more at this site ansd maybe finding other drinks that share the magic alchemy found in the Dark and Stormy

You came to the right place. And you have showed tenacity by finding Barritt's, that's not easy.

But don't just read these posts, check out the Fine Spirits and cocktails discussion boards as well. There is a wealth of information and good recipes, free for the reading.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

The key to making a great D & S is getting ratio between the spice of the ginger beer and the richness of the rum just right. Depending on brands of ginger beer and rum, you may want to play around a little. Most prefer 2 oz Goslings Black Seal mixed with 3 oz ginger beer and the squeeze of ½ lime. I doubt a true Bermudian would inflict lime juice upon a D & S. I prefer it with the lime—but I’m not Bermudian. If you can’t find Barritt’s from Bermuda, anything will work as long as it’s ginger beer and not ginger ale. If you can’t find Gosling’s Black Seal, any dark rum will work, but some toying with the ratio may be necessary.

Edited by David Steeby (log)

I would also like to add to the Dark and Stormy mixing possibilities , Blenheim Gingerale. This gingerale comes in 3 types reg, no-cal and hot. Used sparingly as an addition to the origonal recipe it can really "wake" it up.

Blenheim gingerale comes from a place in South Carolina known to many travellers of I-95 as South of the Border. :cool:

My favorite way to make a Dark'n'Stormy is to first muddle a slice of fresh ginger root in the bottom of a glass with a dash of habanero sauce. Then I add lots of Goslings and top off with any good spicy ginger beer (Barritt's is authentic but not integral; Stewart's works well and Goya is fantastic). The hot sauce and added ginger keep your lips tingling. I use lime, also.

They go quickly at parties.

Incidentally the official drink of Bermuda is, I think, the Rum Swizzle.

A friend made me a rum drink the other night he called "Crippled on the Rocks," consisting of dark rum (he had Myers), orange juice and habanero hot sauce. Sounds and looks pretty vulgar but tasted delicious.

The Rum Swizzle? You can't be serious

I've never even had a Rum Swizzle... but a lot of books, pamphlets, magazine articles and such will claim it to be the "National Drink." Some will claim the Dark'n'Stormy is as well.

• 10 years later...

Resurrecting this to report my recent batch of Dark & Stormy popsicles.  Very refreshing with a spicy little aftertaste.

DnS_pop.jpg

One 12 oz bottle of ginger beer (Trader Joe's)

3 oz Gosling's Black Seal

~ 1oz homemade lime cordial

Yield = 7 small popsicles

I filtered the mixture to remove sediment in the ginger beer that I thought might settle in the molds and give an unpleasant texture.  I might dial back the lime cordial and use straight lime juice instead but they were good as is. 

• Like 3

Resurrecting this to report my recent batch of Dark & Stormy popsicles.  Very refreshing with a spicy little aftertaste.

attachicon.gifDnS_pop.jpg

One 12 oz bottle of ginger beer (Trader Joe's)

3 oz Gosling's Black Seal

~ 1oz homemade lime cordial

Yield = 7 small popsicles

I filtered the mixture to remove sediment in the ginger beer that I thought might settle in the molds and give an unpleasant texture.  I might dial back the lime cordial and use straight lime juice instead but they were good as is.

That looks great! The D&S is my favorite cocktail, and I think I may have to try this version.