• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Has anyone come across a new chain called Zizzi?

Italian pizza pasta joint, one has recently (last three weeks) opened up in Oxford. Called in last night for a quick pizza. Pretty good, all things considered. Open kitchen revealed wood oven. Good olives, OK bruschetta, horrible Valpolicella (much too warm), good pizza (nice prosciutto, good quality anchovies), excellent espresso (best for some time).

I was pleasantly surprised. Nice room too. Waiter says they're owned by the same company as Ask, at which I've only eaten once and by which I wasn't impressed.

Adam

Adam, its not really that new. They are quite a few Zizzi's around the country. Ours (in Chester) is right across the road from Est Est Est and although Zizzi provide a very simple 'traditional' menu, the quality of the food is much better and the staff are nicer too.

I love their calzones, they are hoooge and very tasty.

They are indeed owned by ask, the website is http://www.askcentral.co.uk/zizzi_rest.htm

And while we're on the subject of attempts to translate menu items that don't translate well into English (or other languages) ask a French person what 'zizzi' means, and they'll giggle - it's what little boys call...what makes them a little boy. Maybe the owners did this deliberately

I walked past Zizzi's in Croydon last night and it was packed. My friend said that it's always like that, but weekends were not the best nights to eat there.

(Oops - this is Sam not Scott! - He's been messing with my PC!)

Or maybe their ability to read maps, or throw properly?

It's all true... I admit to being the MD of Holden Media, organisers of the Northern Restaurant and Bar exhibition, the Northern Hospitality Awards and other Northern based events too numerous to mention.

I don't post here as frequently as I once did, but to hear me regularly rambling on about bollocks - much of it food and restaurant-related - in a bite-size fashion then add me on twitter as "thomhetheringto".

• 1 year later...

My girlfriend and I found ourselves slightly drunk and hungry in Covent Garden last night and against our better judgement gave the Bow St branch of Zizzi a go.

Bad choice.

The thinking behind it seems to be that if they offer the same pizzas as Pizza Express but make them 50% bigger then people will switch their allegiance. Judging by how packed it was last night, the policy seems to be working but my Capricciosa was horrible. The base was crisp enough and the proscuitto ok but the tomato sauce was bitter, the mozarella tasteless and the capers and anchovies were placed in a single heap so I got them all in one salty mouthful. Tagliatelle with chicken and mushrooms was almost devoid of flavour and rock-hard in places where the strands had stuck together.

Service was plain rude.

Maybe the other branches are better but I'd avoid this one.

The one in Canary Wharf is on the docks just below the Four Seasons Hotel, and looks fairly pleasant, didn't eat there though, as their famous Zizzi pasta scared me!

Edited by fresh_a (log)

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

but my Capricciosa was horrible. The base was crisp enough and the proscuitto ok but the tomato sauce was bitter, the mozarella tasteless and the capers and anchovies were placed in a single heap so I got them all in one salty mouthful.

We have one in Guildford directly opposite Pizza Express and, I really hate to say this, I found the Pizza Express topping much better (although the actual dough at Zizzi was better as it was cooked in a wood-burning oven - I've got it, get the dough cooked at Zizzi and then run over to Pizza Express for the topping!).

Maybe the other branches are better but I'd avoid this one.

Hummm...yes, I quite agree. We tried the Bow Street Zizzi as well and had a similar experience. I suspect that its quality varies from branch to branch, however I've never been inclined to find out what the others are like.

For the record, Strada can have its off days as well. My 'local' branch off Kingsway always seems less than immaculate (litter strewn loos giving this an extra edge). I prefer the branch off Regent's Street.

I tried the Newcastle branch and it was passable although they offered me the wine but then wouldn't let me send it back when I said I didn't like it! (this particular bottle would give paintstripper a bad name!)

Formulaic, identical theme diners are all very well but ultimately they are stripped of all their profits right from the word go to open new restaurants or prop up failing ones.

Stick to the independents!

:sad: