• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

cake decorating

ladyyoung98

I'm very new to this site and have looked at the list of classes that are being offered and have been offered in the past.while I am interested in all the classes

I do have a particular interest in seeing a class for cake decorating....I had been taking the Wilton's classes but missed a few due to illness...

Is there any way a class on cake decorating can be offered here?

a recipe is merely a suggestion

First, welcome Ladyyou98!

I don't make decisions on what classes egullet provides but sometimes I'm asked what my opinion is. I'd probably not vote for a beginning cake decorating class here. I think a hands on personal class would be far better then an online class to learn the basics of decorating. Although I do see possiblities for classes on advanced decorating work...........when your more advanced- learning becomes more about knowledge then being shown something hands on........and I think that can be more easily conveyed thru internet classes then beginning work. BUT I'm always open to other peoples thoughts and if there was alot of interest in a beginning class I think that egullet might consider it.

I'll give you my personal take on learning cake decorating in the meantime.

I'm self-taught and I think it's very possible to teach yourself. BUT you need to buy good books and practice. Really, learning cake decorating is all about practice and not so much about classes. I think many people will reccomend taking classes in person from a skilled decorator will be the fastest route to learning. Teaching yourself thru books and or the internet will be a slower route then having someone sitting right by you that can instantly correct you as you learn. Hand and arm position are important issues when you begin and watching someone work is the best way to help and correct someone.

We have several really really talented decorators that particapate here at egullet! Feel free to ask them any questions or about any advice.

And as for practice, one piece of advice I was given in a cake decorating class I took (taught by Julia Child's personal assistant!) was to practice on your counter with mayonnaise. Buy a jar and label it "not to be eaten," and just pipe things out on your counter, or "ice" your cake pan, or whatever. She said it's about the same consistency as buttercream, a helluva lot cheaper, and you certainly aren't tempted to taste it!

So from time to time, I make a big mess on my counter, scoop it up, and put it back in the jar.

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

Yes, I second and third that information on practice,it is definitely the key.

I also took the Wilton classes all the way through up to the Wedding Cake portion. Then my life got busy and I ended up going to a cake supply store to purchase some stuff and found they offered classes. I only wanted the Wedding Cake classes but they made you take 8 weeks of classes before I could reachethe Wedding Cake portion. Guess what I am glad I did take the previous 8 weeks because I learned more stuff that wasn't taught at my Wilton classes.

Talking to folks on egullet has given me great ideas and more confidence too.

Today I debuted online with www.theknot.com in the Cleveland area to hopefully get myself more business. Who knew?

Sinclair - I got rave review from client on the chocolate mousse by the way too!!! Used your recipe as I mentioned in my other thread. :wink:

Believe, Laugh, Love

Lydia (aka celenes)

I too would like to see more about cake decorating, be it instruction or discussion. I wouldn't call myself a beginner but I'm waaaay far away from the beautiful cake pictures posted on the other threads. At 1st I was terribly intimidated (when I saw everyones photos), but it soon turned to inspiration (maybe even a challenge). I hope to someday produce cakes as stunning.

Welcome Sweet Caroline, have your been here for a while?

Right this second off the top of my head I'm drawing a blank on how we can do this. Let me talk to Neil and Steve and see if they have any ideas on this topic.

Typically we talk informally about any topic your interested in. In the mean time, do you have any questions, issues or topics that your specificly interested in learning about or improving with your decorating?

I can tell your that I've spent hours probably weeks (and still do) seeking out cake decorators sites online. I love viewing others work and find it very inspirational and educational. I learn alot by copying and suggest you try that too.

Have you spent any time doing similar and becoming familar with who's who of the cake decorating world? Most of the top individuals have web sites, some teach classes, some sell specialty equipment that would be helpful.

I also just got a subscription to a new decorating magazine Kerry Vincent is editing. Theres also Mailbox News, Wilton year books and American Cake Decorating magazines. They all include instruction as well as photos.

I've heard of using things other then frosting to practice with but I honestly think it's best to use frosting. You can use the same frosting over and over, piping it on hard surfaces instead of actually baking cakes. As mentioned previously, just scrape it back up and reuse.

WOW... I was suprised to find all the replies to what I thought was a simple question...but I am delighted with the responses....I should have let ya'll know that prior to taking the classes I took..I had already been decorating cakes so mostly self taught as well...I simply thought a more formalized training was called for from a professional stand point..perhpas i was wrong..but would still love to see them offered.

As for the websites referred to by another reply.... I dont sure the web enough to know where these sites are..but would love to know..I dont think there is any such thing as too much learning so long as one is also practicing...thanks to all of you for the wonderful and helpful replies... :smile:

a recipe is merely a suggestion

Sinclair, I've been lurking for months wanting to jump in, but been on the shy side I guess - been fraid to run w/ the big dogs! While I've baked all my life, I've only recently taken (9mos) a part-time job that is totally baking/pastry w/ a little soup/sandwich thrown in.

I make & decorate cookies similar to those in the cookie bouquets which is what resurrected my interest in decorating. I had taken classes back in high school (30 yrs :shock: ) w/ my Mother. She went on to make it a nice home business. Since it was HER thing, I avoided it - but...now...Mirror, Mirror on the Wall - I've become my Mother after ALL :shock: ! So, I'm back into it. Recently I've taken a couple of classes and practice on my own a few times a week w/ practice buttercream. I've even thought seriously about taking Wilton's Master Course in Illinois.

One of the things I think I'm missing (w/ self practice) is proper bag prep/holding/stance - it just doesn't feel comfortable - especially for hours of work.

I have Googled looking for cake decorating websites, forums & magazines. Most that I've found have slow moving forums w/out much input. I've enjoyed the threads here the most.

As another one of the home bakers, let me chime in with some ideas of how to structure and on-line class:

I'd start with some basic recipes -- ganaches, butter creams, etc. The differences in different types of recipes. Italian vs. french vs. uncooked butter cream. Yolks vs. whites. Which are easier/harder to make, store and which hold up better. What they do and don't work well for. That's a class right there.

Then move on to basic frosting -- crumb coating, glazing, getting a smooth or textured finish, etc.

After that, some basic piping and other decorating skills.

If we want to get really ambitious, we could move on to more advanced piping, decorating with marzipan, fondant, etc. but the above would be a great, great start. To make things easier, people wouldn't need a pile of cakes to practice with. I took a hands-on fondant class this past winter and the teacher had a bunch of styrofoam disks she covered to work on.

Anyway, what's great about eGCI is that it's always there. Life is hectic and, even if I can't play along at the time a class is in session, I can check back when my schedule allows, read through the Q&As, and go at it on my own.

Yes, I've got RLB's book but even for someone who bakes as much as I do, these fine points of difference between her vast arrays of frostings can sometimes be daunting. Let's face it, I've just come to trust you guys.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

Heres a few sites that are interesting.

http://www.wilton.com

Http://www.americancakedecorating.com

http://www.earlenescakes.com

Http://www.ladycakes.com

http://www.nicholaslodge.com

http://www.mailbox-news.com

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=45889

When it comes to cake deorators sites you can look through these forever, theres so many. You can follow these peoples links to other similar decorators too.

I have to run right now, but I'll post some decorators sites tommarrow for you.

I would also like to recommend www.thatcakeboard.com. It is an excellent site that is dedicated solely to cake decorators helping one another. There is a membership fee ($10), but it is TOTALLY worth it. They send you a CD with all the photos of members cakes collected throughout the year, and there are several how-to's and many different forums for different types of cakes, etc. You can even do a free trial if you just want to see what it's all about. That is where I typically go for decorating ideas and for help with specific decorating questions. In fact, you'll probably see several of my cakes over there :wink: Just don't make fun of me, because I'm fairly new at this. :laugh: I would consider myself a passionate amateur, but there are many different levels of decorators that post there, from complete beginners to recognized professionals. I hope I'm not out of line by recommending this site. Someone please let me know if I am. I have just found that for specific decorating questions, I find more help there, since that is what they are set up to do.

However, when I am working out the kinks in my recipes or looking for new flavor ideas, I definitely come to egullet. Well, and I come here simply because I enjoy it as well. :biggrin:

Hope this helps! Like Wendy said, there are a lot of sites that I go to for inspiration. I'll try to remember what some of them are, though Wendy has already posted several of them.

Katie

"First rule in roadside beet sales, put the most attractive beets on top. The ones that make you pull the car over and go 'wow, I need this beet right now'. Those are the money beets." Dwight Schrute, The Office, Season 3, Product Recall

Buy a jar and label it "not to be eaten," and just pipe things out on your counter, or "ice" your cake pan, or whatever.

What a great idea! I suspect that I will do that this evening.

Thanks for the tip.

-drew

www.drewvogel.com

"Now I'll tell you what, there's never been a baby born, at least never one come into the Firehouse, who won't stop fussing if you stick a cherry in its face." -- Jack McDavid, Jack's Firehouse restaurant