• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ALSO in search of....Flying Saucers

For a coworker: he was telling me about a candy he used to have as a child, called a flying saucer. It was a penny candy, with candy beads in it - I'd love to find some and surprise him. Are they still available? Online yes. But in NYC?

(Janet, the food adventurer...!)

Mochi, Foi Thong and Rojak - what more can a girl want from life?

http://www.frombruneiandbeyond.com

Well, I'm from England, so maybe you're thinking of something else, but when I was a kid I used to eat a lot Flying Saucers...they were little flying saucer-shaped pieces of rice paper filled with sherbert.

If these are the same thing you're thinking about, I would suggest going to the Tea and Sympathy store. I seem to recall them having a good selection of English penny sweets.

I think of Flying Saucers as being an ice cream sandwich-type treat.

There's a store in the West Village that specializes in penny candies -- it's on either W. 6th or 7th Street, I believe. It might even be called The General Store or something like that. They possibly might have it, or would know where to find it.

Maybe some helpful person out there can help hone in on the store and exact location?

Where is Economy Candy and Tea and Sympathy, address wise? Thanks!!!

Economy Candy has an incredible web site. It doesn't list the address, or at least I couldn't find it. The home page lists this phone number 1-800-352-4544. It's on Rivington Street about a black and a half west of Essex. I think Ludlow is the closest cross street. I don't know the Tea and Sympathy shop.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Yes, it's between Essex and Ludlow at 108 Rivington. Take the F to Delancey or the J/M/Z to Essex and go one block north on Essex, then west on Rivington and it's on the right.

To my nephews' delight, I have to walk past on the way to my garage. I can't resist stopping in to find them something they've never seen before or an old favorite that isn't widely available - providing me with HUGE brownie points :smile:

Sometimes When You Are Right, You Can Still Be Wrong. ~De La Vega