• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurants Near The Kennedy Center

puhorst

hey all - My husband is "surprising" me with tickets to Streetcar Named Desire tickets for our 1st anniversary... and we wanted to have a nice dinner ahead of time.

We're used to eating really well, but appreciate it more when we're not bowled over by ridiculous prices. Our engagement dinner was at Inn at Little Washington, but we regularly eat at Kuna.

Along with this, any suggestions for something special that will be nice about getting us in and out semi-early (show's at 8)?

We eat foods of all ethnicities, and basically will consume anything as long as it is on a clean plate and presented with a smile.

Nectar, if they have a pre-theater seating.

BTW, they construction situation around the KC is abominable right now. You should park at the KC early, then walk to Nectar and back in plenty of time for the show, or take Metro in which case Nectar is on the way.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Definitely Nectar, and let them know you have theater tickets so you get in and out in time. If you want something slightly lower key, try the bar at Nectar.

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

Nectar. Food & drink. Mmmmm.

Nectar. Wallet and credit card bill. Argghhh.

Not to say it isn't worth the splurge but I wouldn't put this - or the divine Marcel's (the evanescent boudin blanc implies some sort of contractual arrangment with Lucifer in the kitchen) - in the realm of "moderate" akin to Kuna.

Maybe a longer trek to Kaz Sushi? Downstairs at Kinkaids? Or dare I suggest one of the shared dishes at the Kennedy Center Rooftop Cafe?

"Food is an essential part of a balanced diet."

Fran Lebowitz

Do the right thing. :cool: Treat yourself to some Nectar.

Liam

Eat it, eat it

If it's gettin' cold, reheat it

Have a big dinner, have a light snack

If you don't like it, you can't send it back

Just eat it -- Weird Al Yankovic

Blanche DuBois would have totally gone to Nectar and so would I ...

(I'm delirious and vain too)

Honestly, it's a perfect place for a first anniversary.

Stella and Stanley would have gone to Dish (I'm afraid); Stanley in his beater tank top...

NECTAR. :smile:

• 3 months later...

I'm looking for a good place to grab an after theater dinner on Thursday night, where we can get to quickly and eat relatively light and good. I would appreciate any help that anyone can give. Price is not a major consideration.

Nectar closes at 10 on Thursday's so I don't thin that we'll be able to make it. Sequoia & McFaddens sound interesting.

Try Marhsall's at 26th and L for casual dining after the show. Somehow, I don't don't think you'll like Sequoia or McFadden's for food. David Greggory sometimes serves the bar menu late (21st and M). A quick cab to Dupont gives you Sette (Connecticut and R) and Bistrot du Coin (Connecticut and S). Bistro Français in Georgetown is open till 2.

Mark

I'm not crazy about McFaddens and Sequoia is one of those crappy waterfront restaurants. Well they aren't necessarily bad, as much as they are overpriced and uninspired.

How about Firefly?

I wanna say something. I'm gonna put it out there; if you like it, you can take it, if you don't, send it right back. I want to be on you.

Do NOT go to McFadden's on a Thursday night unless you want to be surrounded by cigarette smoke, loud music, and drunk interns packed around you like sardines. Oh yeah, and the food is pretty awful.

Sequoia & McFaddens sound interesting.

They're not.

The Kennedy Center is in kind of a dead zone at that time of night. You're going to end up going into Georgetown, and even then, good luck at 10 pm on a Thursday. What's Firefly up to on weekday nights? That's one heck of a hike, though, but illustrative of the complete dead zone you're going to find yourself in (Alright, Thai Place, Mehran, and Lindy's will be open, but that's not exactly post-theater dining, as much as I like Lindy's!)

Edited by Chef Shogun (log)

Matt Robinson

Prep for dinner service, prep for life! A Blog

I've always thought it a shame that Sequoia wasn't more ambitious. It's a beautiful and dramatic space that could be spectacular if the cooking lived up to the view. I suppose it's a moneymaker because of the bar scene.

Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside.

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)

Add to the Sequoia negatives -- Eurotrash magnet. At least at the waterfront bar on Fridays & Saturdays during the summertime

Oh, J[esus]. You may be omnipotent, but you are SO naive!

- From the South Park Mexican Starring Frog from South Sri Lanka episode

maybe bistro francais (open very late) or cafe la ruche in gtown

I wanna say something. I'm gonna put it out there; if you like it, you can take it, if you don't, send it right back. I want to be on you.