• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vegetarian Cookbooks Celebrating the Flavor

helenas

are any of these largely free of cheese- and cream-based recipies?  i don't like cheese, nor cream.  :)

cheers in advance :)

hc

From this standpoint, The Passionate Vegetarian would be a particularly good choice, as many of the dishes are either dairy-free, or have dairy-free options.

MelissaH

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

• 1 year later...
Anna Thomas - The New Vegetarian Epicure. It's menu-based and focuses on seasonal ingredients.

Every recipe I've tried works, and I really like her style of cooking.

I have always enjoyed the Vegetarian Epicure series, and find it interesting to watch Anna's progression (like the rest of us!) to healthier eating, while certainly not 'doing without' !

I've starting to look through my three Veg. Epi. books seeking inspiration, thinking of doing a vegetarian lifestyle for a while. (Don't ask me why; I am a huge carnivore.........just think it is time for a change and reassessment of life.) :hmmm:

I'd love any suggestions from people who have made that transition.

I've starting to look through my three Veg. Epi. books seeking inspiration, thinking of doing a vegetarian lifestyle for a while. (Don't ask me why; I am a huge carnivore.........just think it is time for a change and reassessment of life.)  :hmmm:

check out this thread, where Carlovski is doing exactly that.

I've starting to look through my three Veg. Epi. books seeking inspiration, thinking of doing a vegetarian lifestyle for a while. (Don't ask me why; I am a huge carnivore.........just think it is time for a change and reassessment of life.)  :hmmm:

check out this thread, where Carlovski is doing exactly that.

Thanks, Chufi, that is a good thread.

• 1 year later...

I've read both this and Carlovski's two topics on vegetarianism, but I'm having trouble narrowing down the cookbook field.

If you could only choose one of the following vegetarian cookbooks, which would it be?

*The New Vegetarian Epicure: Menus for Family and Friends (Anna Thomas, 1996 version)

*The Vegetarian Epicure (Anna Thomas, 1972)

*A Year in a Vegetarian Kitchen (Jack Bishop, 2004)

*Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone (Deborah Madison, 2007)

Some issues:

Living in Japan, I'd like to use ingredients that are easy to find and relatively inexpensive, so a cookbook heavy into squash blossoms, endives, beans (which I dislike, anyway), grains and the like would not be as useful to me

I'm looking mostly for easy recipes that hold up over a few days, and transport well. I usually only make a couple of large dishes once or twice a week, and then alternate them for my lunches.

I don't want to replace meat in my diet, I'm just looking for ways to add more vegetables into it.