• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gordon Ramsay Royal Hospital Road

I wonder if recent reviews and in particular, Egon Ronay and Gault Millau have given Godon a little kick. I regularly visited Ramsay's restaurants from the days of Aubergine to RHR when he first received 3 stars but over the last 4 or 5 years I haven't been because I too felt that the food had stood still and become rather formulaic. I recently heard a rumour that he had been shocked into action by the bad reviews and that he had stepped up a gear including "dabbling" a liitle. Your report would seem to confirm this, one more good report and I'm going back.

However much people are willing to knock him, Ramsay is a great chef and some of my favourite meals were from the days when he was aspiring to 3 stars, I hope that he can regain a little of that excitement.

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"

• 2 weeks later...

All,

I'm looking into booking RHR hopefully in the next few weeks but I'm having difficulty in finding how vegetarian friendly it is (the wife is not strictly a vegetarian but is an extremely fussy eater, only certain fish no red meat, no wild mushrooms etc, etc. :wacko: ) From looking at the web site there is no example of a vegetarian menu Prestige. Do you know if they cater for vegetarian dinners?

Desperately want to have a meal there and it would be nice if the better half could attend also. :wink:

Thanks,

Scotsaute

Best thing to do would be to contact the restaurant directly. However, in his recent "Kitchen Heaven" book Ramsay says "I was misquoted a few years ago, so I want to set the record straight: I absolutely love vegetarians, adore them, and enjoy eating vegetarian food myself!" so it will be interesting to see if his restaurants back up that assertion.

All,

I'm looking into booking RHR hopefully in the next few weeks but I'm having difficulty in finding how vegetarian friendly it is (the wife is not strictly a vegetarian but is an extremely fussy eater, only certain fish no red meat, no wild mushrooms etc, etc. :wacko: ) From looking at the web site there is no example of a vegetarian menu Prestige.  Do you know if they cater for vegetarian dinners?

Desperately want to have a meal there and it would be nice if the better half could attend also. :wink:

Thanks,

Scotsaute

Scotsaute, your best bet is to go straight to the source. Call them between lunch and dinner service, make your reservation and ask them to fax or email you a menu. Also you can look on http://www.gordonramsay.com/site/index.html

The menu here is probably just a general indication. If you're really concerned, you might also want to check in with them on the Big Day lest they just don't have anything your wife will eat.

All,

I'm looking into booking RHR hopefully in the next few weeks but I'm having difficulty in finding how vegetarian friendly it is (the wife is not strictly a vegetarian but is an extremely fussy eater, only certain fish no red meat, no wild mushrooms etc, etc. :wacko: ) From looking at the web site there is no example of a vegetarian menu Prestige.  Do you know if they cater for vegetarian dinners?

I'm a vegetarian (a strict one!!) and ate there in December. Apparently vegetarian choices are always available, but I mentioned that I was veggie when booking and they were brilliant - not only did I have a choice of 3 starters and 3 main courses (pretty unprecedented in non-veggie restaurants...) but they gave me a vegetarian version of the amuse bouche, etc. The meal was superb. So I'd definitely highly recommend it.

They don't do a vegetarian menu prestige, but one of my guests who does eat meat had the menu prestige, and they were happy to simultaneously serve me and the other our standard a la carte meals - and managed to do it without making us feel left out of things!

Edited by CarolineLD (log)

Can I ask a question?

I'm thinking of taking the girlfriend to RHR for her birthday. Would we be treated differently because we are both young? (both 21 y/o) I would love to sample my first michelin-starred meal (and a 3 at that) and the money wouldn't be a problem, but I wouldn't want to be treated like an idiot for wanting to dine here, would I?

perhaps a stupid question, but forwarned is better than being laughed at.

Can I ask a question?

I'm thinking of taking the girlfriend to RHR for her birthday. Would we be treated differently because we are both young? (both 21 y/o) I would love to sample my first michelin-starred meal (and a 3 at that) and the money wouldn't be a problem, but I wouldn't want to be treated like an idiot for wanting to dine here, would I?

I would be appalled if you were treated differently because of your age. Go ahead and book, but remember that they only open for bookings a month in advance. They are not open Saturdays either which would be a lot of people's preferred day to celebrate a Birthday..

That out of the way- welcome Kutsu.

BTW- If money isn't a problem - would you like to take me a long too? :laugh:

I would be appalled if you were treated differently because of your age. Go ahead and book, but remember that they only open for bookings a month in advance. They are not open Saturdays either which would be a lot of people's  preferred day to celebrate a Birthday..

That out of the way- welcome Kutsu.

BTW-  If money isn't a problem - would you like to take me a long too? :laugh:

Hah thanks for the welcome Bapi, much appreciated!

Good to hear we wouldn't be laughed at, it hasn't happened yet at all (although I do get the odd strange look when I ask a butcher for pig's cheeks or course-minced veal) but I've never dined Michelin-level. Hopefully it would be a thursday/friday and its a good 3 months or so down the line, but any day would be good, then I would have an excuse (*cough*) to get time off work ;)

thanks for the info!

(oh and sure, come along, you can pick up the drinks bill ;))

Edited by kutsu (log)

Without being condescending can I make a suggestion? If you haven't eaten at a Michelin starred restaurant before don't start at a 3 star. RHR is very professional and should not treat you any differently because of your age but in my opinion it is better to start at aspiring Michelin starred restaurants or one star places and work your way up.

There is little doubt that you would go to a 3 star restaurant and be wowed but you would probably be wowed at a number of one stars as well given your eating experience. Work your way up gradually to a 3 star (I don't me an have one 1 start, one 2 star and then dive in at 3 star), try and understand how dishes should taste, what is poor cooking and what is simply not to your taste. Once you get that sort of confidence/knowlege you will enjoy a 3 star meal far more than you could at the moment.

Without being condescending can I make a suggestion? If you haven't eaten at a Michelin starred restaurant before don't start at a 3 star. RHR is very professional and should not treat you any differently because of your age but in my opinion it is better to start at aspiring Michelin starred restaurants or one star places and work your way up.

There is little doubt that you would go to a 3 star restaurant and be wowed but you would probably be wowed at a number of one stars as well given your eating experience. Work your way up gradually to a 3 star (I don't me an have one 1 start, one 2 star and then dive in at 3 star), try and understand how dishes should taste, what is poor cooking and what is simply not to your taste. Once you get that sort of confidence/knowlege you will enjoy a 3 star meal far more than you could at the moment.

Something I hadn't considered, to be honest. The reason I haven't eaten ANY michelin-starred level is simply because there is nothing within a 100 mile radius that has a star, the closest being manchester which the last I heard, only has aspiring "star". Still, it's a good idea, certainly one I might have a look into. Perhaps several 1 star/nearly 1 star meals would be more "worthwhile" than jumping the gun?

Interesting, and thanks.

my geography might be askew but isn't staffordshire not too far from ludlow?

even with the closure of the merchant house there's several good places in the area, the top being 2* hibiscus but there's mr underhill's with a star (but a no choice menu) or dinham hall/ overton grange.

the 1 star pub the stag at titley not too far away.

try www.viamichelin.co.uk it might bring up a few places you weren't aware of.

or alternatively get to paris, and learn at the feet of the masters!

cheers

gary

you don't win friends with salad

Mmm- Matthew may have a point. On the one hand starting off with a 3* star experience would be superb- but after that you may suffer disappointments at other places you dined at afterwards.

You live in Staffordshire I see. So you are not that far from Ludlow and the great favourite of mine -Hibiscus. You can't got far wrong dining there- we go about 6 times a year and it just gets better and better. Incidentally - I live in London and so am travelling in the opposite direction to you! Or you have Jessica's outside Birmingham( is that starred?? :huh: . Or if you are near the Derbyshire side- you have the excellent Fischer's in Baslow. All worth considering as a first port of call, especially Hibiscus

even with the closure of the merchant house there's several good places in the area, the top being 2* hibiscus but there's mr underhill's with a star (but a no choice menu) or dinham hall/ overton grange.

cheers

gary

Good suggestions, will have to have a look at Ludlow.

Funny you should mention Paris, we were supposed to be staying at that hotel that just had 20 people burn to death in it, next week. More than slightly glad that I decided to go and save up for a house instead.

Thanks again folks, I love this place.

cheers

gary

Oh now I am depressed- I am having the same thought pprocesses as Gary ! :raz:

Simple minds and all that :biggrin:

Can I ask a question?

When i was 23 i was really nervous about going to a michelin starred restaurants, i thought as i wasn't posh and was young either they wouldn't let me have a table (I used to get a girl in the office to book for me) or that they'd realise I was actually scum and treat me badly/ask me to leave.

I'm not exactly sure why I had this idea, that was my impression of these types of restaurants before hand but i was so wrong, at that level the service was superb, I had never been to restaurants where they couldn't do enough for you and to a certain extent if you're spending that kind of money they bloody should treat you nicely.

I totally agree with with what Matthew said about not going to a 3* first though. After a few 1* we ate at RHR and it took me another year to fully understand why it was a 3* compared to other 2 & 1stars. Also it means that experiences get better and better rather than a huge high which other 1 stars will struggle to match.

Besides being the youngest people in a restaurant is cool it feels like you are special and different from the other people.

Besides being the youngest people in a restaurant is cool it feels like you are special and different from the other people.

Agreed! I miss that feeling :sad:

As for Hibiscus it is a fantastic restaurant but again, not one I would go to early in my eating career, some of the food there is what I would consider a little challenging for someone new to this level of eating.

Think Jessica's, Simpsons and Paris (in the mailbox) are all 1-star and in Birmingham so that's a start?

Haven't eaten at any of them yet - so I could be talking wombat's doo!

Was supposed to have lunch at Paris (the restaurant in Birmingham) today - but plans went awry ...

Cheers

Yin

Can I ask a question?

Hey Kutsu,

I (then aged 21) went with two friends to RHR last August for the set lunch menu, buying one cheap bottle of wine - i.e. the least you can spend there. If there's any recipe for being treated as inferior then that would be it, but nothing of the sort happened - we were treated like royalty by all the staff, especially the maitre d' Jean-what's his face... I seriously doubt you'll find any problems with the service. Just be yourself there and don't be afraid to ask questions... I remember we did about what on earth this piece of cutlery was - turned out to be a 'sauce spoon'... never used it!

Re suggestions not to go straight to a 3-star restaurant, I personally don't think you need to take yourself so seriously as to 'work your way up' to that level of food. The menu at RHR is classical and therefore not overly wacky (unlike eg. the Fat Duck), so you'll definitely find the food approachable, and of course delicious. I say go for it. You say money isn't a problem, but I still reckon it's worth going with a specific food and wine budget in mind, a) so you can get the best possible combination of wine to match your food and b) so you don't get any nasty shocks when the bill comes!

Tom.

I don't mean challenging to be disparinging term, far from it. I mean in a way that it does have some modern touches and that some things might make people with little eating experience a little hesitant without even tasting them. From recent posts:

"Pan Fried Scottish langoustines Tails, Iced Vin Jaune, Spring Leek& Liquorice Puree, Veloute of Potato and Hazelnut"

"Duo of Cornish Razor Clams stuffed with Chicken Kidney & Gingerbread Butter, Creamy Veloute of White Onion & Menton Lemon"

" Roast Corn Fed Pigeon, Royale of Jerusalem Artichoke & Lemon, Roast Baby Artichoke, Fudge Sauce, Gaufrette Potatoes"

"Freshwater Eel Poached in Truffle Jus, Crispy Pork Belly, Confit Pineapple, Fondant Potato Froth of Coconut milk"

"Fine tart of Granny Smith Apple, Salted Butter Caramel, Puy Lentil Ice Cream"

Not your usual sort of high street restaurant offerings I'm sure you'd agree?

Hmmmmm.... mouth watering and it's only 10:00 :sad:

mmm.    :smile:

Yes I would agree, but at RHR you're safe with the knowledge that it will taste great, no matter how outlandish some of the components sound.

Some people may disagree with you based on recent visits :raz: I won't dispute that you won't enjoy it on a firt visit, what I do dispute is that you won't get the best out of it wihtout a little more knowledge.