• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gordon Ramsay Royal Hospital Road

Had an average dinner there last year although Gordon was in the kitchen that night. We expected a bit more for ₤110 per head.

We went back there for lunch last week, and this time, we enjoyed every course.

Pressed Foie Gras with Sauternes reduction

gallery_57364_5484_13563.jpg

We also had a long conversation with the Executive Chef Mark afterward.

Lunch is definitely good value for money!

More here:

www.finediningexplorer.com/ramsay

Fine Dining Explorer

www.finediningexplorer.com

How early did you have to book lunch? Was it a case of "a month in advance", or the day before?

I booked the same day for lunch. I called Monday morning and they were fully booked for lunch. I tried again on Tuesday morning (9am), and she said there're two tables available. I think there was still one empty table by the time I left at 2:30pm.

For dinner, always book 2 mths in advance.

Fine Dining Explorer

www.finediningexplorer.com

Had an average dinner there last year although Gordon was in the kitchen that night. We expected a bit more for ₤110 per head.

We went back there for lunch last week, and this time, we enjoyed every course. 

Pressed Foie Gras with Sauternes reduction

gallery_57364_5484_13563.jpg

We also had a long conversation with the Executive Chef Mark afterward.

Lunch is definitely good value for money!

More here:

www.finediningexplorer.com/ramsay

Anyone interested in the "Roasted potato" Consomme recipe????

I have it straight from the horses mouth, so to speak... :rolleyes:

Did I not see yesterday, reading someone's paper over their shoulder on the tube, that GR is putting a 29 yr old lady in charge at RHR and that said lady had a pop at Hartnett saying 'she's 1 star, I'm 3 star'?

If she did, you can see why GR likes her. He likes women with balls.

Perhaps he should visit Thailand?

S

She's obviously learnt the fine art of hyperboyle from her boss:

"She had to grit her teeth especially hard when she sliced off a chunk of her hand when using a machine to cut thin slivers of beetroot. “There was blood everywhere,” she says, “but I didn't complain because I knew I'd get told by the doctor to take two weeks off and I didn't want to do that.” She worked on and her hand bled for a week. In contrast, she says, the men took two weeks off for a little nick with a knife."

Two weeks? Yeah, that sounds really likely.

its in his 3 star chef book if ur interested , its a bloody good book!!!

No its not!!!!!

It's not in the book, or the book isn't "bloody" good? Which?

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

its def in the book foie gras with tea jelly, i think its a great book up there with the french laundry and im not a big fan of mr ramsay!!!

wasnt talking about the foie gras with tea jelly.......

I have it straight from the horses mouth, so to speak...

its def in the book foie gras with tea jelly, i think its a great book up there with the french laundry and im not a big fan of mr ramsay!!!

Would love it mate - I'm sure there would be quite a few interested parties in seeing that!

If a man makes a statement and a woman is not around to witness it, is he still wrong?

My mate is the sous chef at RHR.

He gave me this recipe a couple of weeks ago.

It is currently on my menu, one of the best soups i have tasted in a long time.

I have changed the recipe alittle, (I think, to the better)

FIRST OF ALL

Its not a roast potato consomme, as you may think it is.

Baked potato consomme.

I make a double stock, first of all with a basic chicken frame stock.

2hrs 20min.

Then pan-roast 4-5k chicken wings,slowly. you want a golden brown colour.I mix 10g curry powder to the wings before roasting.

After you are happy with the colour, drain in a colander.

Same pan, add more oil, carmelize your mirepoix, again take your time.

Drain in same colander as wings.

Once drained, add to a clean pan, cover with your chicken frame stock, bring to the boil, skim and simmer for 1hr 10mins.

Pass.

Inbetween doing this, put 10 baking potatoes in the oven, 180-200 and over cook the potatoes till dark and crinkly, watch you dont get them to dark, you dont want a burnt taste.

Once roasted, everything still hot, add your potatoes to the stock, and cover with cling film, for 25mins.

Take out potatoes and cling film till cold.

Put in freezer over night.

This stage is called ice filtration method.

next day, take your frozen block of stock, line a steamer tray with muslin,let it drip into another deep tray.Start off in the fridge, then you can take out, and let it drip over night in a cool kitchen.

DONE!!

RHR, burns onions, (i hate this) and uses soya sauce, for the colour.

I think this affects the end flavor.

And they use the convention-method for clarification of there consommes, egg whites.

Again, I think this dulls the end result.

Maybe not a good book for professionals but good for us amateurs - especially if you get it cheap from Amazon.

This stage is called ice filtration method.

next day, take your frozen block of stock, line a steamer tray with muslin,let it drip into another deep tray.Start off in the fridge, then you can take out, and let it drip over night in a cool kitchen.

Is that with gelatin added? I presumed that the gelatin was vital for the filtration to work properly.

refrigerate your stock first this allows the gelatin to bond and then freeze.

there'll be enough gelatin in chicken stock already, just use a double cheese clothe or superbag.

Edited by adey73 (log)

Does anyone know where the idea for this first originated - I've had it elsewhere within the last couple of years and am struggling to remember. It may possibly have been Le Champignon Sauvage although if you google "baked potato consomme" its obviously an idea that has made its way around the world.

Does anyone know where the idea for this first originated - I've had it elsewhere within the last couple of years and am struggling to remember. It may possibly have been Le Champignon Sauvage although if you google "baked potato consomme" its obviously an idea that has made its way around the world.

The first time I heard of this was in an El Bulli review by if I remember rightly, Giles Coren or possibly Jay Rayner (?).

Wasn't RHR doing baked potato foam as an amuse a year or two back?

Presumably consomme has some connection with that? (no idea where the foam came from, but presumably theres an el bulli connection somewhere?)

More Cookbooks than Sense - my new Cookbook blog!

Here's the review from may 2005 -

'And then I found ñoquis sféricos de patata con consome de piel de patata asada: a game-coloured meatless consommé that tasted of baked potato skins, in which floated white spheres that burst to yield the very essence of baked potato flesh, and glass-coloured ravioli full of butter. It was the taste and smell and childhood excitement of November 5 turned into a lot of balls – and perhaps the most astonishing single dish I have ever known. '

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/c...ticle388585.ece