• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Filling in the Blank

GrubGuy

Hi everyone. I want to thank all those who have helped my fiancee and I with suggetsions about where to eat on our honeymoon in September. It's been wonderful. I had one more favor to ask of everyone. We have five full nights in the Wine Country (we are staying in St. Helena), and so far are dining at the French Laundry, the Martini House, Tra Vigne and the Carneros Restaurant in Sonoma. We are considering eating at Brix for the fifthfull night, but wanted to know if anyone thought this was a good choice or whether there is a better suggestion in light of our other dining adventures. Also, if anyone has any recommendations for what to do the night we arrive (don't want to make reservations because we're unsure of when we will arrive in St. Helena) which would be good around 8:30-9:00, and is casual, that would also be appreciated. Thanks to everyone, and I promise a full review of each dining experience after we return from Wine Country and San Francisco.

I would go to Mustards rather than brix. Have never had a bad meal at Mustards and I think will be lighter less serious (although equally delicious) fare than the other restaurants you're eating at. I would get on a plane right now for one of their pulled pork sandwiches.

I would personally skip Mustards, Brix, AND Tra Vigne as all being too touristy and just mediocre considering how many better places there are in the valley.

I know that many people who visit us at the winery end up almost complaining that eating at high-end places like FL, Auberge du Soleil, La Toque, and Martini House day after day after day DOES take its toll.

In St. Helena itself, consider a few "hide-away" spots like Cindy's Backstreet, Market, or Terra. Down in Napa proper there are other hidden treasures like Zuzu's or Pilar.

Look through previous threads -- some are extremely recent.

Brix always strikes me as an "also-ran" in the valley. Pinot Blanc, too. They just don't seem to make an impact.

Wine Garden is about open in Yountville. I spoke with the chef and he seems to really have a clear idea what he's doing and I was excited hearing about it. Also you'll hear many raves for Pilar. I haven't eaten there but in planning a menu for an event she's cooking (I'm supplying some of the food) I can tell you I would let her boss me around in the kitchen any day.

Last time I ate at Mustards it seemed kind of dated, if that makes any sense. I think it was innovative in the 1980s. It was fine but I doubt I'd go again. I've had great meals at both Celedon and Cole's Chop House, neither of which have that "it" factor but remain the choices of lots of locals.

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray

I would personally skip Mustards, Brix, AND Tra Vigne as all being too touristy and just mediocre considering how many better places there are in the valley.

I also would skip Tra Vigne as not being that great.

Granted, I am a tourist, but I looove the pulled pork sandwich at Mustards, as does my husband, so we go back there every time.

Also, I don't think it's the high end that's a problem, it's the richness of the food. Too much butter and cream will eventually take its toll.

Wine Garden is about open in Yountville.

Where?

Granted, I am a tourist, but I looove the pulled pork sandwich at Mustards, as does my husband, so we go back there every time.

I guess when I want pulled pork, I head to Taylor's Refresher -- although they don't have it all the time, same as their Duck Confit Tacos, or Mahi Burger, all seasonal items that are way better than their standard menu.

I guess when I want pulled pork, I head to Taylor's Refresher -- although they don't have it all the time, same as their Duck Confit Tacos, or Mahi Burger, all seasonal items that are way better than their standard menu.

No fair. You get to eat there all the time. :angry:

Seriously, even in NYC (where the eats are good) I would kill for the availability of food -- really good food -- you folks have in Napa.

Even your bad americanized mexican is like a hundred times better than most of our options.

Even your bad americanized mexican is like a hundred times better than most of our options.

Actually, because of all the vineyard workers, our Mexican is pretty authentic and good.

It is our Asian cuisine and REAL Italian that is truly wanting...

But true, it IS a great place live AND eat AND drink! :biggrin:

Actually, because of all the vineyard workers, our Mexican is pretty authentic and good.

But true, it IS a great place live AND eat AND drink! :biggrin:

Was actually referring to Compadres, which was far better than average NY mexican but I didn't think was all that authentic. Although the margaritas were fun. But the pictures from your taco trucks make me dizzy with envy.

You have Asian food?

So you know, this whole thread means that I will now waste another half an hour of work time checking out how cheap a trip hubby and I can make to Napa and how soon. It's all your fault. :raz:

You have Asian food?

Yeah, well... only passable Asian food. There are three Sushi restaurants in Napa and I hear rumor of one in Calistoga. There is a California-style Oriental restaurant in a strip mall near where I live which has passable Yakisoba when I don't feel like cooking.

All four Chinese restaurants suck but one of them works when severe desperation or illness sets in (Won Ton Soup when ill works wonders). Some are significantly worse than others.

Lastly, in Sonoma on the square, there is a restaurant called Rin's Thai which is EXTREMELY California-ized which means I kinda like it (it is also not too spicy).

Mulcahy says:

Was actually referring to Compadres, which was far better than average NY mexican but I didn't think was all that authentic. Although the margaritas were fun. But the pictures from your taco trucks make me dizzy with envy.

There used to be a farmers market outside Compadres on Wed nights. It was pretty slow but we all went because Compadres gave us a good price break and occasionally would send out margaritas on hot nights. I am very cynical about fake cantinas but Compadres is much better than it needs to be. It's not so authentic but there's a level of integrity that always suprises me. Sometimes, you just don't want to eat on the curb and fight off the yellow jackets. I like Compadres just fine.

You have Asian food?

It's scary when the best Chinese food is in the Raleys grocery store- and it sucks (a word I rarely use)! There's a great neon sign downtown that proclaims: CHOP SUEY. I imagine it's horrible but I hope the sign stays up forever.

Wine Garden is going in where the old Diner used to be. The building is unrecognizable

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the thoughts on Tra Vigne, and we were initially leery of going there, but two independent sources told us that recently the menu (and they think the chef) had changed, and that it was a worthwhile trip. I really trust both of these people, who know my tastes (both culinary and atmosphere) very well. As it stands, we are confirmed to eat at French Laundry, the Martini House, Tra Vigne and are going to book the Carneros Restaurant in Sonoma. Also, I should have mentioned that we were making plans to eat lunch at Mustards (I'm definitely in for the pulled pork BBQ sandwich now :biggrin: ) and Wappo. We're mostly looking for a place to eat that fifth full night, and the observation that we're trying not to repeat the same (even if it is delicious) cusine is very well-observed. I like some of the ideas for relaxed meals thus far, especially for our Sunday dinner. I appreciate everyone's time and suggestions. We're still very much up in the air, so any further help would be very much appreciated.

Oh, and if there's any way we could find out more about the restaurant at Wine Garden, that would be great, too.

Thanks.

Wife and I have been to Sonoma and Napa 5 years running and the one spot we agree is the best is BISTRO JEANTY.

Perfect blend of great food and nice casual ambiance.

Enjoy!!

Tom

Tom D

I like some of the ideas for relaxed meals thus far, especially for our Sunday dinner.

Check ahead of time that your Sunday choice is open -- this is one of those crazy parts of the world where much is closed on Sundays (like Pilar's)!

I really like Market in St. Helena and second the rec. for Bistro Jeanty. If you're looking for something when you arrive, Bouchon has very late service for the night you arrive. It's about 8 miles south of St. Helena in Yountville. Enjoy your trip, and congratulations to you & your soon-to-be-wife!

"A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti."

- Dr. Hannibal Lecter

Carolyn:

Have you tried Green Valley Cafe in St. Helena? For simple walk-in-in-jeans-and-boots Italian, we really like it!

"A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti."

- Dr. Hannibal Lecter

Carolyn:

Have you tried Green Valley Cafe in St. Helena? For simple walk-in-in-jeans-and-boots Italian, we really like it!

YES! I always forget their name but adore their pasta -- so amazingly thinly rolled! They have one of the finest lasagnes and while I have only sat there once, I often buy "to go" out of shear laziness of not wanting to cook at night.

But is it "authentic"??? While I enjoy it, I'm afraid I got spoiled on Boston's North End for Italian and all else has seemed wanting for me...

Edited by Carolyn Tillie (log)