• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rules Restaurant

My sister will be studying in London for her spring semester, and I will probably come over in February to visit her.  I would like to take her out for a "blowout" lunch OR dinner, and I was intrigued by the menu of Rules.  I'm a sucker for game, and also thought it would be interesting to go to a place with all that history behind it.  Is it worth the 贶 or so that I'm going to drop?  If not, any suggestions for a good, fancy, traditional British meal?

Rules is one of those places that divides people. Having been there for 203 years it is bound to trade on its history and a bit of that does go on. It has also brought in a couple of unfortunate innovations. A laminated menu is one; electronic waiters' notepads are another. But, all that aside, I believe the fundementals are still more than there. THe chef, David Chambers, knows what he is doing and I doubt there is anywhere better for game in London. THe main course dishes for two are particularly good.

Mind you, I would have to say all this, as two weeks ago a piece of mine was published in a newspaper here extolling its virtues. THe link is posted in here:

http://www.observer.co.uk/foodmonthly/story/0,9950,568739,00.html

Now let's see what others think

Jay

I would almost totally agree with Jay ( what am I saying?)

The whole baggage of Rules can be tiresome.  The "wines from the former colonies" list, the slightly theme park feel, the waiters with notepads that look like gameboys etc.

Once you get past that then it can be excellent.  It has its own supplies of game and they are the best ( or among the best in town ) they also do some very basic old stylee things very well ( Steak and kidney pudding, potted shrimp, spotted dick )

I would say on balance, go.  You will not have a bad meal and may end up having a very good one and 贶 in London for food of this quality, is unfortunately the norm and you could eat a lot worse for the same price

Enjoy

I appreciate the advice.  One more question: how is it there at lunchtime?  Will I be missing out on anything if I go then?  I may decide dinner is more than I can afford & that a late lunch will make my wallet happier.  (Unless the menu is the same all day, in which case I might as well do dinner.)

I concur with the posts recommending Rules.  I have often told fellow Londoners that the food there is excellent, but they take one look at the place and won't believe me.  It does have a certain theme park feel to it.  My only problem is that I have had a lot of trouble getting a reservation over the last year or two - I get into the Ivy easier.  Must be a huge tourist trade - but make sure you book well in advance.  On second thoughts, February should be as easy any time.

Wow, such unanimity on a restaurant !!! And I'll add my voice to the shared opinion. I've been there several times, often with American friends and customers, but I have to say it has never cost me as much as 贶 a head, even with wine. But I've never seen anyone manage 3 courses yet :-))))

One other point I'd make is that there are some very bad, very cramped tables at Rules. When I book I always insist on being guaranteed a table against the wall !!!

• 1 month later...

I was just going to ask about Rules and found this post.  My husband and I are privileged to spend every other summer in London, and Rules is our latest food discovery.  Our good friend, one of the dorm wardens at UCL, introduced us to Rules.  The second time we ate there I couldn't help but notice the surprised expression on the faces of the South Carolina women across the aisle as the waiter brought out their Yorkshire pudding.  They also asked us to snap some photos of them.  So tourists like to eat here.  Doesn't bother me.  I'm a tourist.

That said, we ate there a few times summer 2000 and loved every dish brought to the table--I split the Dover sole for two and I still dream about it, served with steamed watercress.  We always ordered a couple bottles of wine.  We considered this a special treat and easily dropped L50 a  head, but not L150.  Ray made the reservations--we never had a problem.

My husband and I also really like a place near Highgate called Sabor de Brasil--Mike always arranges to take the students there for a program meal.  We have never found any place even similar in Atlanta.  What do Londoners think?  Could you recommend someplace even better?

• 4 weeks later...

stellabella, i'm not sure what Sabor de brasil is, but if its a brazillian churrascheia, there is an EXCELLENT one in Atlanta called Fogo de Chao. Its a brazillian BBQ place where they walk around with 12-15 cuts of meat fresh off teh open pits...check it out.

jason