• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

WTN: 2000 Domaine Barmès-Buecher Riesling Hengst

Brad Ballinger

2000 Domaine Barmès-Buecher Riesling Hengst, Alsace Grand Cru. Zowie, is this wine a rockhead and acid lover’s dream! For those who think some wines can contain too much mineral character, this is not the wine for you. This is all about chalk and flint with a token nod to some lemon and lime citrus essence. At the present time, it is a wine in need of aeration before drinking. It would be best to let this sit in a decanter for 2-3 hours before enjoying it. I didn’t have that luxury or foresight, so I had to let it aerate in the glass as much as possible before moving onto the next course at dinner. It didn’t do much opening up, but as it warmed, it just started to fill out. Although I've raved about the mineral, this is by no means a one-dimensional wine, nor one that is too sleek. There is great body and structure here. Approximately $35

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

Brad,

I have had the Hengst from another producer and hought that it was one of his lesser quality products. I will have to try to find this but I don't think it comes into our market. PS I love Alsacien Reislings & Pinot Gris.

Perhaps it doesn't belong here, but what if people were to list where they found or one could find some of these particular wines? Not that it will help all of us due to various locations around the company, but it might, for many, give people a direction in which to go. Just a thought.

Charles a food and wine addict - "Just as magic can be black or white, so can addictions be good, bad or neither. As long as a habit enslaves it makes the grade, it need not be sinful as well." - Victor Mollo

I love all Barmes-Bucher's wines... Everything from the Sept-Grains and the Herrenweg vineyard in the non-classified realm up through the Rosenburg and Hengst is meticulously crafted.

I don't think I've tried the 2000 Hengst, but will keep an eye out for it.

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

I love all Barmes-Bucher's wines...  Everything from the Sept-Grains and the Herrenweg vineyard in the non-classified realm up through the Rosenburg and Hengst is meticulously crafted. 

I don't think I've tried the 2000 Hengst, but will keep an eye out for it.

Ah Chris. Thanks for mentioning the Septs Grains. Anyone here in Philly that's been to a BYO event with me has tasted this wine at some point or another. I'm still serving it by the glass at Rouge and I won't take it off the list until the vintage runs out. Love this stuff.

And of course Chris is correct in saying that all of the Barmes-Buecher wines are meticulously crafted. They are proponents of biodynamic farming, painstaking viticulturists and strong believers in low yields and careful crafting of their wines. The fact that they own plots in some of the most desireable Grand Cru vineyards of Alsace is icing on the cake.

Finding the Barmes-Buecher wines is as easy as clicking on Wine Access Wine Finder and filling in your appropriate inrformation. It will locate the closest retailer to you that carries these wonderful products.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Perhaps it doesn't belong here, but what if people were to list where they found or one could find some of these particular wines? Not that it will help all of us due to various locations around the company, but it might, for many, give people a direction in which to go. Just a thought.

I got mine in St. Paul Minnesota. You can find it at K & L, North Berkeley, and probably plenty of other places.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero