• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

BYO near the Short Hills Hilton

sgschef

Meeting a group of friends from all over NJ including a wine maven (who brings for all of us!). Need your recommendations for a great restaurant, not too pricey near the Short Hills Hilton. Thanks for your help.

OK then, nothing at TMASH or Hilton. How far are you willing to drive? Any preference as to cuisine? Off the top of my head*:

• La Foccacia, Summit
    Capo Vaticano, Florham Park
    Trattoria Toscana, Whippany
    Cinque Figlie, Whippany (definitely not BYOB, but so good)
    Il Mondo Vecchio, Madison
    Scalini Fedeli, Chatham (they have a reasonable corkage if I recall)
    Restaurant Serenade, Chatham
    New Main Taste (Thai), Chatham

* I'm not sure which are BYOB and which aren't. Someone will correct me, I'm sure. If not, when you make a reservation, inquire as to their corkage policy.

Fwiw, Scalini Fedeli is upscale in decor and attitude; if you're looking for a 'fun' spot, this wouldn't be my first choice--though the food is terrific. Just depends on your crowd/attitude! Do let us know where you end up. :smile:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

You don't say how large your group is, but here's a couple more suggestions.

l. Tassert's for contemporary american cuisine in Florham Park. It's roomy,

soothing and BYO. 4 of us had a marvelous meal just eating appetizers.

2. Pamir for Afghan food in Morristown. Again roomy and soothing and certainly

something different.

3. Mariques in Mendham. We think the food is excellent, it's BYO and it has a

room for private parties.