• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Static Prices, Shrinking Portions...

2 examples, to wit....

Agua Verde....Still tasty, still hella busy, looks like they have even expanded, but what is the deal with not serving a side with the burritos anymore...Bah! What's up with that? (Whoops...Opera won't let me, but insert angry face here) Even for the more appetite challenged people I know, just the burrito is not enough. Gimme a side already.

(sort of) the same deal at the Dish...It seems like every time I go in there, the portions seem to get just a little tinier each time.

Seriously, just keep the portion sizes as they were and raise the prices. I don't mind. In the past, these have been good, reliable places where I can expect reasonable food for a reasonable price. Yeah, I know the economy has not been the best. However, getting what I feel is a good value for my (rather limited) funds is part of the reason why I really loved those places in the first place. Granted, I am a big eater, and yeah, maybe what is "just enough" for me might be considered excessive to other people, but still... (sigh):sad:

Just seems kind of greedy to me, and that's disappointing...

"So, do you want me to compromise your meal for you?" - Waitress at Andy's Diner, Dec 4th, 2004.

The Fat Boy Guzzle --- 1/2 oz each Jack Daniels, Wild Turkey, Southern Comfort, Absolut Citron over ice in a pint glass, squeeze 1/2 a lemon and top with 7-up...Credit to the Bar Manager at the LA Cafe in Hong Kong who created it for me on my hire. Thanks, Byron. Hope you are well!

http://bloatitup.com

You know, my husband and I went to Palace Kitchen with his folks last week and when we ordered that amazing coconut cream pie for dessert I KNOW it was a smaller slice than what I've had in the past. Not that we needed more but it's the principle right???

:shock:

You know, my husband and I went to Palace Kitchen with his folks last week and when we ordered that amazing coconut cream pie for dessert I KNOW it was a smaller slice than what I've had in the past. Not that we needed more but it's the principle right???

:shock:

Bingo, ms foodie. That was what I meant to get across originally. I can completely understand not wanting to throw away food, but, like, I've already paid for it.

If I choose to be wasteful about it, I feel that is my business. Like I said in my original post, I have no problem at all paying more if the particular economics of the restaurant calls for it.

For example, I saw that Sterling Caf'e has been certified organic. Great for them, I applaud their efforts, (seriously, I do.) However, I do expect that when I finally do make it in there, I EXPECT to pay more, and I am fine with that. I am sure that their raw food costs more, no sweat. However, in the case of the 2 palces that I mentioned earlier, I don't see that they have gone all organic, or for that matter, switched to free trade coffee. (Again, yet another reason why I don't mind paying a little extra.) In these 2 cases, I see 2 places that appear to be doing well and are maybe getting a little greedy.

I'll allow that I am much more likely to take dinner leftovers home then breakfast ones. But...like little ms. foodie said, it's the principle of the thing.

There. End of rant. Am I just way out in left field about this? :huh:

"So, do you want me to compromise your meal for you?" - Waitress at Andy's Diner, Dec 4th, 2004.

The Fat Boy Guzzle --- 1/2 oz each Jack Daniels, Wild Turkey, Southern Comfort, Absolut Citron over ice in a pint glass, squeeze 1/2 a lemon and top with 7-up...Credit to the Bar Manager at the LA Cafe in Hong Kong who created it for me on my hire. Thanks, Byron. Hope you are well!

There. End of rant. Am I just way out in left field about this? :huh:

Well, maybe I am about to take Fay Jai's thread from left field to outer space, but I sometimes appreciate a smaller portion. When a whopping, Cheesecake Factoryesque monstrosity is plopped in front of me, I feel compelled to do my best for the starving Ethiopian children, even when facing more food than I want. (The doggie bag is a great american invention, but awkward when, for example, going straight from a restaurant to a theatre.)

Now, every eGulleteer I've personally met has been as chiseled and lean as a Greek god, but maybe in these times of american excess, a little portion downsizing wouldn't hurt. Of course, an honest restaurant would state up front that they were serving less for the same price because they were converting to costlier organic or increasing their dishwashers' health coverage or doing their part to keep us from becoming obese. Well no, that would be annoying.

Well, it was just a thought. (But FJ, I know what you mean about the tragic loss of the side at Agua Verde. I mean that cranberry cole slaw -- oh baby. I haven't ordered it as a separate side with the tacos because I know that's too much food for me, but I miss getting at least a taste of it.)

I'm all with cxt on this subject.

Goodness knows I don't need all that food in one sitting, and I have slowly come to terms with the fact that (with a few exceptions) I really don't enjoy leftovers no matter how tasty they were the first time 'round.

To me, smaller portions are a blessing. Especially when it comes to Tom's coconut pie, where I would/could eat a whole pie if they put it in front of me...

I also like it when food is properly sized so that I can enjoy an appetizer/salad, main course, and a (possibly split) dessert without bursting. Most american-sized portions don't allow for this -- and so to have the full taste experience you end up looking and feeling like a glutton.

~Anita

Anita Crotty travel writer & mexican-food addictwww.marriedwithdinner.com

Food cost is a big problem right now.

Beef? UP.

Poultry? UP

Dairy? WAY UP.

Atkins is driving the beef demand, with ripples into the pork market.

Bird flu has poultry and egg prices up. (large numbers of chickens being exported to asia)

Atkins again as dairy farmers get out of milk and into beef, the purveyors tell us this should slacken in the fall as dairy farmers get back into the suddenly profitable dairy market.

This leaves us with a choice to raise prices in a sagging economy, or cut portions. It's a mix of both, but business for us if off 30+% from last year, and we surmise it's a combination of lower traffic and our highr prices to compensate for higher food costs. We're struggling to find the sweet spot right now.

But generally, our experience it that casual diners feel cheated by too small portions.

High end diners don't seem bugged at all.

Not to be confused with egullet veteran Ms. Ramsey

Webmaster, rivitman's daily axe:

My Webpage

I also like it when food is properly sized so that I can enjoy an appetizer/salad, main course, and a (possibly split) dessert without bursting.

Me too......

I much prefer smaller portions. Mr Ledlund and I had dinner at Union Square Grill before a play at ACT a couple of weeks ago. I don't know what I was thinking. I ordered a salad before the entree and both were HUGE. It was ridiculous. Dessert was out of the question. Since we were walking across the street to the play I could do nothing but waste the food. It felt so wrong.

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

I absolutely agree with raising the prices and not changing the dish/meal. The customer can easily understand paying a dollar more, but (rightfully) gets miffed when that side is missing, or the portion shrinks.

I'm for 'normal' or, smaller sized portions, too. We're served far too much food in the US. It's obscene. This is part of why I like the new tapas trend. I can get what I like, and not be stuffed. When I order in a regular restaurant, I just look at it and know I won't be able to eat it all.

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”

so last night we ordered take-out from pailin in west seattle. as i was picking up our food, i happened to notice a waitress taking an order of fish cakes out to a table. (pailin does good fish cake - not as good as jamjuree, but damn fine nonetheless.)

when i got our food home, i noticed that we'd been given 4 fish cakes instead of 5. the plate i'd seen coming out of the kitchen had the ususal 5 on it.

so - was the table in the restaurant a table of 5? (i didn't notice) were they giving short shrift to the takeaway crowd?

it didn't matter and as always - we had plenty of food...but it did make me think about portions and expectations. what if we'd ordered the fish cakes planning on getting all 5?

smaller portions are fine - just let me know so i can plan. a note on the menu -

tod num pla (4) or even (4 to take out) would have sufficed.

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

agree, agree, agree....

I hate supersize anything...Cheesecake factory is a perfect example!

I love to have apps, first and second course....and don't forget wine!

Even if the price was lowered say at Palace on the pie I probably wouln't know as I don't usually look at the price I guess. I just knew it was smaller.

I honestly do hope that more restaurants bring the portion size down. It would certainly help to downsize some waistlines!! :wink:

I hate supersize anything...Cheesecake factory is a perfect example!

Due to the heat in Seattle lately, I've found myself dining at restaurants in Pacific Place. The portions at Gordon Biersch are HUGE! It's horrifying. Their pasta could feed a family of four, easily. I use my bread plate to unload half the dish before I even start. Their buns for burgers/sandwiches are at least 8oz.

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

:biggrin: So...am I just the lone fat assed glutton here??? :biggrin:

(Sorry...I'm loopy as hell, its been a long day at the pizzeria... :biggrin: )

I'll admit it...I enjoy fairly substantial portions. But I've been feeling guilty since reading this thread! :sad:

Sacred cows make the best hamburger.

- Mark Twain, 1835 - 1910

(Sorry...I'm loopy as hell, its been a long day at the pizzeria... :biggrin: )

Nope, I think small portions suck, unless it's a very pricy ingerdient, or proper plate presentation absolutly calls for it.

Every restaurant worth it's salt has take out boxes on request for those that can't handlethe portion.

Not to be confused with egullet veteran Ms. Ramsey

Webmaster, rivitman's daily axe:

My Webpage

As in most things, it's a matter of personal taste. I'd rather have a few small plates, to get more tastes than big plate of something. But that's just me.

Every restaurant worth it's salt has take out boxes on request for those that can't handlethe portion.

In many cultures, this is just so low class. But I love having leftovers for breakfast. I've already mentioned my peasant stock.

Edited by tsquare (log)

Feeling slightly better today...(Had to clean up some Ave Rat's dog poop from in front of the store yesterday....put me into a REALLLLY good mood.)

I'm so glad that I made my original posting. I've loved, LOVED seeing everyone's opinions. Great discussion! I do see the point about not wanting to feel to heavy or full after eating.

However.... :raz: there are some places where I guess I have just gotten spoiled...