• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Inn at Erlowest

docsconz

Now I am going Sunday evening in lieu of Friday night so I will be able to take advantage of the Aphrodisiac Menu

Here is some information on the special menu they have in honor of Valentine's Day:

Aphrodisiac Valentine's Menu

This Valentine’s Day the Adirondacks will have a 6’2” tall cupid. This cupid won’t be shooting arrows; he will be creating plates of the most innovative interpretation of the local ingredients available in and around the Adirondacks. He will be sharing his great passion for cuisine in the magnificent dining room at The Inn at Erlowest. Chef Matthew Secich, who prefers to be called a Cuisiner, has studied in Paris, France, under Pierre Gagnaire, Guy Martin, and in Oxford, England, with Raymond Blanc. Chef Secich has created a Valentine’s Evening that will feature two different tasting menus! One menu will be created for the gentlemen and the other will be created for the ladies. There will be six courses for each and there will be an Aphrodisiac in each course that will pair with the gentlemen’s’ menu and the ladies’ menu. This is the second Valentine’s Day that Matthew Secich will be creating an Aphrodisiac menu. This is an experience that you and your loved one don’t want to miss. There will be two seatings and the experience is $89- per person and there will be a wine pairing for each course $65- per person. Chef Matthew Secich is creating innovative cuisine that is touching the soul of his delighted guests at The Inn at Erlowest. This menu will be served starting on Saturday the 12th and ending the Monday of the 14th.

I will be curious to read your impressions of this and othe meals from your weekend. Enjoy!

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I am hoping that fatcatbrew will post impressions from Erlowest.

The highlight of my dinner last night were the percebes or Goose barnacles from Spain. They were perfectly cooked, tender and redolant of the sea. This was the first time I have ever seen them offered at an American restaurant. Chef Secich was disappointed to discover that I did have them once before. They were served on top of a very tasty sauteed swiss chard with pine nuts and lardons with sel gris on top.

gallery_8158_790_218836.jpg.

The dinner featured separate "Aphrodisiac" Tasting menus for men and women. Each dish featured legendary aphrodisiac ingredients aimed at each particular sex. Notable by their absence, however, were oysters.

The menu, while imaginative and fun was somewhat less than the perfection that I have come to expect from this restaurant. In addition to the percebes, highlights included Chef Secich's always magnificent butter poached lobster with ginger, veal sweetbreads, turbot with vodka and celery, lamb rack with mustard and venison with cloves. There was one dish, however, that didn't work for us. This ws a pre-dessert for the ladies of dry champagne with vanilla ice cream and aspic. While it had an interesting texture, the dry champagne was in our opinion too much for the vanilla. Out of about ten visits since August, this was the first dish at this restaurant that I didn't like. Some of the other dishes, while still quite good, were not as sensational as others I've had at this restaurant. Despite these relative flaws, the meal was still a resounding success.

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

I am hoping that fatcatbrew will post impressions from Erlowest.

Sorry for the delay - just got back to a computer today.

My husband and I dined at The Inn at Erlowest on Sunday evening. We arrived early and were able to tour the inn's accommodations. The Inn itself is absolutely beautiful and has wonderful architectural details. Unfortunately the dining room windows overlook the parking area and not the view of Lake George. We did not indulge in the aphrodisiac menu as we wined and dined way too much with a group at Friends Lake Inn.

My husband and I were given different amuses - mine was black pepper ice cream with minced strawberries drizzled with 50-year old aged balsamic. It was delicious and certainly awakened my taste buds. I had seared diver scallops for an app and my husband had roasted carrot soup which was amazing. Seared turbot and lobster for our main courses. Perfectly timed and our waiter was extremely knowledgeable and helpful in pairing the perfect wine with each course. We also tried the goose barnacles. And kimchee ice cream (which was an experience that I could have skipped) However it added humor to the evening.

We were warned that the Inn was pretentious, and I must disagree. We were treated very nicely by everyone. Even the chef came out to meet with us and introduce himself at the end of the evening.

I am glad and not at all surprised that you had what sounds like a lovely evening. What did you think of the lobster? I don't think anyone does lobster better than Chef Secich. I've had the kimchee ice cream before. In what context did you have it?

The restaurant is serious about food and creativity, but I also don't find it in the least bit pretentious. That the owners and the Seciches have brought this quality of food to the Lake George/Adirondack region, I feel is a wonderful thing. I feel blessed to have it in my backyard.

Twitter - @docsconz

I thought the lobster was delicious. Sweet and buttery, with a hint of tarragon. The kimchee icecream was brought out for us to try after the waiter described a method that the kitchen used to make icecream out of anything. Apparantly they used this method to make the walnut topping for the roasted carrot soup which we thought was out of this world and I don't even care for cooked carrots. So to show us how playful the chef could be, out came the kimchee ice cream for us to try - just a small dollop for each of us. My husband and I giggled and groaned amongst ourselves as neither of us cared for it. :wink:

I agree - the inn is very serious about their food. And their wine. I can understand you feeling fortunate. Living 30 minutes from Manhatten, I take for granted that I have many amazing restaurants to dine at only a short distance away from home. When traveling to the Adirondacks, the good restaurants are certainly fewer and farther between then where I live... Due to your great recommmendations over the last year, i.e. Springwater Bistro, Chez Sophie, and The Inn at Erlowest, I have had great dining experiences while traveling to go hiking and cross country skiing. Thank you very much. The Inn at Erlowest will definately be one of the highlights of my 2005 dining experiences.

We were warned that the Inn was pretentious, and I must disagree. We were treated very nicely by everyone.

I live in central NY state - an area in some respects much like some of the areas outside of the Capital district. There's a certain blue collar tradition and in some cases a history of culinary conservatism that seems to affect the perceptions some folks have of more ambitious restaurants in this region.

It's just an intuitive sense on my part rather than anything based on extensive anecdotal evidence but it seems that the "pretentious" or "hoity" designations are often tagged onto those establishments trying to move beyond the established local "fine dining" traditions. I've dined at all the likely suspects inthe Syracuse area and foudn none of them to be pretentious despite their sometimes having some menu items that are far from traditional.

I'm thankful that, at least in our area, there are those chefs and owners confident enough to step out on their and lead the way rather than pandering to what they think people want. That said... most of our more progressive local restaurants still make some accomodations on the menu for the less adventurous diner - almost a necessity for survival.

The vision of cuisine should have no limits. We should be pushing the limits of cuisine everyday. The restaurants that are doing something different, we as gourmands should support them. A Cuisinier is a poet, dreamer, a lover, an artist one must be free to express the life and love of cuisine.

• 3 weeks later...

I am happy to say that I had another wonderful dinner last night at Erlowest. My last time there for Valentine's weekend was very good, but for the first time in my experience at Erlowest some of the food was flawed. Last night it was back to its usual fantastic self.

We were served an amuse of lightly grilled rabbit tenderloin over spinach with diced apple - a fine introduction.

My first course was a lusciously creamy carrot soup. Our waiter, Billy, described the soup as "the essence of carrot". One of our dining partners who had the same soup instead said "that it was more like what a carrot ought to be." I agree more with the latter.

We then had a supremely well balanced seared foie gras with trumpet royale mushrooms, mustard greens, peach sauce and cornichon ice cream. This dish really worked well on all levels. I love trumpet royale mushrooms, the peach sauce gave just enough of a hint of sweetness, the mustard greens a dash of bitterness and the cornichon ice cream a layer of complexity and saltiness. The ice cream was not an intuitive addition, but it captured the essence of the best qualities of the cornichon without overdoing it. This was one of the best uses of off-beat ice creams that I've experienced.

My main course was poached shot chukar with wild rice, black trumpet mushrooms and mirepoix vegetables. This was outstanding. The bird was flavorful and moist. Both breasts and legs were provided with the breast meat finely sliced. I noted no buckshot. My wife had seared rose perch with beluga lentils, braised salsify and tat-soi. She loved it. I managed a taste. It had outstanding flavor. Our friends both had beef tenderloin with pommes puree, haricots vert, carrots and roasted shallots and a deep, delicious sauce that Chef Secich explained to our friend was made over seven days. This is a great dish that I have had on more than one occassion previously. This along with his lobster are the most popular items on the regular menu.

Our wine was a 2000 Gevrey-Chambertin from Domaine Dujac. It was bright with good cherry fruit and well balanced acidity. It proved a fine match for each of the entrees and is one of the better values on the wine list. The wine list at the Inn has good quality, but it is generally on the expensive side, a criticism that I've heard from a few people. Like the Dujac, it has some good values though if one takes the time to read through it. Since I like to pick out wines myself, I have not really tested the service for their recommendations as far as value is concerned. When I've had wine pairings matched with courses, these have generally been excellent with one specific exception noted upthread. Nevertheless, the value aspect of the wine program is probably one area that the restaurant could improve upon. The balance between food and wine prices is discussed in a very timely fashion here.

One of ourfriends was celebrating his 50th birthday. He received his dessert on a plate with a happy Birthday announcement written beautifully in chocolate sauce. I didn't try his dessert and honestly don't remember what it was. He did enjoy it, though. Our wives each had the chocolate five ways with nothing left on the plate at the end. I had The bacon Experience, one of the most novel desserts I've ever had. It worked. Because of the unusual and special nature of the dessert I have started a discussion of it here.

Twitter - @docsconz

• 3 months later...

Chef Matt Secich and The Inn at Erlowest get 4 out of 4* from The Albany Times Union. The only other restaurant in the Capitol District to be so bestowed by the ATU is Sargo's in Saratoga, a restaurant, I must confess, to which I haven't yet been.

Twitter - @docsconz

• 2 months later...

I personally have had a great summer, but this was almost completely ruined when I recently found out that Chef Matthew Secich and his wife will be leaving Erlowest at the end of this month. The restaurant will continue under a different format. I am not sure where Chef Secich is headed at this time. Possibilities include Texas or Wyoming. I just hope that his new location is easily accessible for me! Wherever, I wish him and his family only the best.

Twitter - @docsconz

Chef Secich is no longer cooking at Erlowest. Further info to come.

Twitter - @docsconz

Chef Secich is no longer cooking at Erlowest. Further info to come.

I am going to Saratoga next weekend (actually for five days) and I was planning on eating there. Keep me informed, Doc.

Thanks

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

I just received word that Chef Secich will be staying in the area! He has received a loan to open his own restaurant in downtown Glens Falls. ETA should be next spring.

This is major good news for northeastern NY.

Twitter - @docsconz

I just received word that Chef Secich will be staying in the area! He has received a loan to open his own restaurant in downtown Glens Falls. ETA should be next spring.

Just a general question as I have no idea what kind of concept he has in mind.

But do you think Glens Falls can/will support Chef Secich's work?

I wish him all the luck in the world but I can't help but think thats a tough call.

Edited by robert40 (log)

Robert R

I wish him all the luck in the world but I can't help but think thats a tough call.

Robert,

Your concerns are legitimate. Glens Falls has not here-to-fore been much of a restaurant town. Then again, it wasn't too long ago that Saratoga wasn't much of one either. Actually Glens Falls is booming right now with a lot of upbeat development going on downtown. I believe Chef Secich's business plan is to provide very well prepared food at reasonable prices. Whether he uses expensive and exotic ingredients as he did at Erlowest remains to be seen.

He has built up an impressive local following and has had a lot of the local expense-account business.

I don't expect him to amass a fortune doing this, but I do expect an excellent and successful restaurant.

Twitter - @docsconz

Robert,

Your concerns are legitimate. Glens Falls has not here-to-fore been much of a restaurant town. Then again, it wasn't too long ago that Saratoga wasn't much of one either. Actually Glens Falls is booming right now with a lot of upbeat development going on downtown. I believe Chef Secich's business plan is to provide very well prepared food at reasonable prices. Whether he uses expensive and exotic ingredients as he did at Erlowest remains to be seen.

He has built up an impressive local following and has had a lot of the local expense-account business.

I don't expect him to amass a fortune doing this, but I do expect an excellent and successful restaurant.

I will for sure try his new place as I never got around to trying Erlowest and was disappointed to hear of his leaving.

Robert R

Glens Falls isn't that bad - the rooms at the Queensbury are nice. I could stay there for the night, unless my friends at the Chestnut Tree Inn in Saratoga got upset.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

This is, indeed, very good news that he will be staying in the area. Likewise, despite good intentions and because of procrastination or other diversions, I never got to dine there. I "owe" some good friends from Glens Falls a dinner and had hoped to take them there, as I believe they would have been appreciative of his talents. Question is, what do you think will happen to Erlowest? Many places obviously survive the loss or change of a chef, others not so. Most unusual example is when Melissa Kelly left the Old Chatham Sheepherding Company a number of years back and the owners just decided to close up. They didn't need the money and from what I gathered, they wanted to go out on a high note without the concern of living up to her past accomplishments.

Mark A. Bauman

I suspect Erlowest will change format. rumor has it that it will become a steak place.

Rich, while the Queensbury Hotel would certainly be glad for your business, it is only a twenty minute car ride to Saratoga (ok another twenty minutes in Saratoga). :raz:

Twitter - @docsconz

• 2 months later...

Marc Fernandez the maitre d’hotel at The Inn at Erlowest was laid off the other day. This man became the heart and soul of the dining room after Crystal & Matthew Secich left this fall. They brought him from France to work with them. Marc has worked at Daniel and Payard in NYC. Among the eight or so Relais & Chateaux’s where he has worked, he also worked at The Inn at Little Washington and that is where he met Crystal & Matthew Secich. Does any one know if the restaurant is going out of business?

If the key people that made The Inn at Erlowest special are gone what will come of it?

That is too bad about Marc, but not surprising. The question is a good one. It remains a great space.

Twitter - @docsconz

• 9 months later...

Interesting news. Thanks, Mark. Does that mean that he is just running it or that he bought it? In either case, I would expect that the culinary approach will have changed to a more Italian/Continental approach, though that is purely supposition on my part. I hope not, because that is the last thing this area needs another of.

Twitter - @docsconz