• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chinese cookies, any recipes?

adegiulio

I am looking for a recipe for those chinese cookies you find in jewish delis and italian bakeries. The cookies themselves are very short, and contain a dollop of chocolate in the middle. They aren't the almond flavored cookies that are also sometimes called chinese cookies...

Any bakers out there have a recipe they can share?? Pleeeease.. :rolleyes::laugh:

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

I don't understand, Chinese cookies from Jewish or Italian bakeries and with chocolate? This doesn't sound Chinese to me at all. I don't think chocolate is a chinese ingredient.

Yeah, I don't think they are actually chinese cookies...they are just called Chinese cookies... :smile:

They just happen to be called Chinese cookies. They are some kind of plain cookie, but have a giant dollop of chocolate on the top. I see them at bakeries next to the black and white cookies. I'd love to know the recipe as well.

I always wondered why they were called Chinese cookies. They always seem to be either almond or vanilla flavored, with the big chocolate drop in the center. I think they're a New York bakery thing, although I may be wrong about that (I admit I'm New York-centric.) They were a real treat when we were kids.

There's a recipe here.

Comments elsewhere indicate it's similar to an almond cookie with a dollop of chocolate fudge icing. How about ganache?

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

I was just going to ask if someone could post a photo of these cookies because I'm not familar with them. Thanks for posting one adegiulio. I feel cheated, in the mid-west where I live we don't even have black and white cookies yet alone an assortment of Chinese cookies in our deli's. They look like traditional chinese almond cookies I'm familar with.......it's just adding the chocolate that's different. Ganche would be good but if won't wrap in plastic with-out smearing. Chances are they're using a chocolate frosting that comes in buckets, is my guess.

I'm not so sure about the walnuts in that recipe Ruthcooks............ it seems out of place to me. I agree with the granulated sugar and the shortening as your fat....but I think it needs more yolk for color, add almond extract and loose the walnuts............

frankly, they look like medium sized sugar cookies with a hershey's kiss stuck on top. Just going by appearances....

I think, Sinclair, you are right, the addition of almond extract would be a good idea.

They are pretty big, and though they look like sugar cookies, they aren't nearly as sweet. They are very crumbly thanks to all that shortning. I love the texture, firm yet they fall apart in your mouth. The chocolate is firmer than a ganache, but not as hard as plain chocolate...

They're an enigma... :biggrin:

I had gotten away from baking cookies the last several years of my career. My current job has me making them again. I recently bought Carol Walters cookie book and can highly reccomend it. It's at work, I'll take a look today and see if she has anything similar for you.

• 3 years later...

bump

The Kosher market I visit in Maryland has stopped making these, so now I need another way to slake my Chinese marble cookie desires. (I prefer the kind that have a little chocolate marbling in the dough, in addition to the drop of chocolate in the center.) Wegmans sells them in their cookie shop, but I'd rather make my own. Anybody?

Nancy Silverton has a recipe for "Jewish-Chinese Almond Cookies" (aka the ones in Jewish delis with a big chocolate drop in the middle) in her Pastries book, but she added oats and skipped the chocolate... so they're not exactly the same cookie.

Anyway, she says that the flavor and crunchy texture come from baker's ammonia.

Yeah, I don't think they are actually chinese cookies...they are just called Chinese cookies... :smile:

I totally know what you're talking about!! We ate them growing up in S. Florida. I'd like the recipe too. My family loves them.