• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Reliable Sources for Vanilla Beans

Bond Girl

• 2 weeks later...

Just a follow-up - I ordered Madagascar beans from Beanilla Trading Co. and they're excellent. Plus, ultra fast shipping and great customer service. I ordered through Amazon, but they also have their own website.

There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

• 4 years later...

IMO, you should check out the make Your Own Vanilla Extract thread. You can choose the variety of bean to use and get more extract of higher quality for far less than what you'd pay at the store. Sellers still sell B-grade beans on eBay, although prices have risen recently. (vanilla bean prices fluctuate annually based upon crop yields)  I have a couple of bottles going right now, a Tahitian and a true Mexican.

BTW, watch out about buying any so-called Mexican vanilla that is a liquid. In 2006, someone did a series of tests and found that much of the Mexican produced vanilla was artificial flavor and a lot of the rest was actually tonka bean extract containing Coumarin, not vanilla.

My favorite source is Beanilla. Great quality and great customer service. I've ordered their vanilla beans, and they were outstanding.

http://www.beanilla.com/vanilla

I've ordered Arizona Mexican vanilla extract from Amazon, and it was good, but I don't think Amazon offers it anymore. However, you can order directly from Arizona's site:

http://www.arizonavanilla.com/Store/vanillastore.php?cat=21

I love Penzey's double Madagascar vanilla extract.

Edited by merstar (log)
There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

Not too long ago I received a half pound shipment of Mexican beans from Beanilla.  I was pleased with the price and with the service, but I have not yet cooked with the beans.  However they look good.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 2 weeks later...

Okay. I was at Penzeys yesterday to get some Aleppo pepper and spices.

I bought an 8 oz. bottle of Pure Vanilla extract, single strength ,35% alcohol.

I made some granola today and used 4 tsp of the vanilla. .

Then I tasted the Vanilla..It tasted like Nyquil. It doesn't taste like vanilla at all. Is that the way it's supposed to taste? I've always bought vanilla extract ( or what ever it is) at the grocer. 

The Granola turned out great. After the alcohol bakes off is the vanilla flavor left?

I'm getting a vanilla education.

from Fat Guys thread by Lisa : http://stores.ebay.com/Vanilla-Products-USA

I've used them before and was quite happy with the purchase. It's been a while but at the time I bought a pound of the Madagascar grade A beans for like $30. Still have some stored in a vacuumed packed bag. They are still very fragrant, soft and supple and far exceed the small dried up beans in the spice jars at the grocery store where you get 3 small dried up beans for like $10

• Like 1

To taste it accurately, you should put a drop into a small cup of milk. It's usually too difficult to make an assessment straight up. Or, try just smelling it carefully. Different vanillas from different beans will have different characteristics.

Thanks..I'll give it a try.I put 1/4 tsp in my pancakes this morning and they were fine.

To taste it accurately, you should put a drop into a small cup of milk. It's usually too difficult to make an assessment straight up. Or, try just smelling it carefully. Different vanillas from different beans will have different characteristics.

Thanks Lisa,

It smells heavenly and tastes fine with milk. Guess I need to make some vanilla ice cream.

Thanks again.

Jon

• 1 year later...

i buy my paste from saffron.com when I buy it but I am confused the site you posted looks like it …but it isn't it ? maybe there are two saffron/vanilla places online ..anyway my friend just bought some from beanilla and saffron.com and liked the saffron.com better …i like the extracts in general at saffron.com as well as the vanilla and have been purchasing from them for over a decade and they always put a little gift in and the service and quality of product both excellent …hope this helps ..I have to look at the site you posted closer I am due to buy more saffron and have to find the best I can for the price I can afford 

I need to buy vanilla paste. 

I was wondering if anybody had the change to try both the beanilla paste and the paste from the vanilla saffron import.

Big difference in price. Any other recommendation?

why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

I've used them before and was quite happy with the purchase. It's been a while but at the time I bought a pound of the Madagascar grade A beans for like $30. Still have some stored in a vacuumed packed bag. They are still very fragrant, soft and supple and far exceed the small dried up beans in the spice jars at the grocery store where you get 3 small dried up beans for like $10

a : http://stores.ebay.c...la-Products-USA

It won't help you with vanilla bean paste, but I second scubadoo's source, Vanilla Products USA, which I order via eBay.  Beans have been very fresh, and, depending upon quantity ordered, the price works out to be under a dollar per bean. For some recipes that specify 1 vanilla bean I often use 1/2 one bean since they are nice and plump and often 7 inches long.

• Like 1

Thanks, this is all helpful!

HBK, I have no idea if there are 2 saffron imports. Prices are so much more reasonable than beanvanilla. Sometimes I'm really dubious that a product being so much more expensive is actually better.

Edited by Franci (log)

I've been buying from Vanilla Products USA via ebay also, since the other vendor I liked upped the price considerably.

I bought a pound of the bean paste a bit more than a year ago and because of my worsening heart condition I did little baking last fall so I vacuum sealed the whole jar and stuck it in the freezer.  I defrosted it a couple of weeks ago and it seems to have suffered no damage from being frozen, still potent.

• Like 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I don't buy their beans but I buy my bean paste and extract from Nielsen Massey.  A quart at a time it seems less expensive.  I have the quart of bean paste at hand as I am using it for ice cream that is churning as we speak.

Still hoping sometime to make my own extract.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou