• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

In search of: Vegemite

i have seen it in grocery stores that have South African products...supposedly there is some loyal south african following?...

sorry i cant help with an exact place, but hope that gets you a little warmer in your search

(its pretty disgusting though, very yeasty tasting....but to each his own!!!)

Fairway should have it.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

They carry it at both locations.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Found it!

...and I only have one thing to say: man, am I glad I left Australia when I was four! They have to be really, really sick to like that stuff! :biggrin: (It wouldn't be *all* that bad, but for how incredibly salty it is...!)

And Fairway (which I've never been to before), was impressive, although it was crowded enough to be irritating. Thanks all, for the tips!!!!

--Janet

Mochi, Foi Thong and Rojak - what more can a girl want from life?

http://www.frombruneiandbeyond.com

Found it!

...and I only have one thing to say: man, am I glad I left Australia when I was four! They have to be really, really sick to like that stuff! :biggrin: (It wouldn't be *all* that bad, but for how incredibly salty it is...!)

And Fairway (which I've never been to before), was impressive, although it was crowded enough to be irritating. Thanks all, for the tips!!!!

--Janet

HEY!!!! We're not sick it's all in the way you use vegemite. You need a piece of toast, alot of butter and then just a scrape of vegemite and then you're set. SHEESH AMERICANS !!!! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

I want food and I want it now

Actually, I tried some of the Vegemite on Toast with Butter today - and God Forbid me for saying it, but it wasn't half bad - I might get used to the stuff!

20 million Aussies can't be wrong! :biggrin:

"We are happy little Vegemites as bright as bright can be,

We all enjoy our Vegemite for breakfast, lunch and tea..."

Laksa,

:biggrin: I'm kind of curious about your nationality. Here you are, obviously a big fan of Malaysian food (hence the Kuih, Kuih thread) and I think (?) Australian ex-pat? Myself, I lived in Australia until about the age of 4 - Melbourne. (All I have from it, however, is a bunch of Aboriginal Tales Golden Books, and Skippy the Kangaroo!) So do tell! What's your story!?

Mochi, Foi Thong and Rojak - what more can a girl want from life?

http://www.frombruneiandbeyond.com

My story:

Born in Malaysia

+ 13 years there

+ 13 years in Melbourne

+ 4 years back in M'sia

+ 4 years in Poughkeepsie, NY

---------------------------------------------

= one guy who eats just about anything

You took Skippy the Kangaroo and brought him to NY? So that's why they stopped making the TV show... :hmmm: