• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Huevos Motulenos

NickV

Does anyone out there have any good recipes for huevos motulenos? Googling them produced all sorts of strange recipe variations, only a few of which sounded anything like the dish I remember. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Edited by NickV (log)

I've never had it, but I have a couple books that have recipes for it. Apparently it's a dish from the Yucatan. However, there certainly could be Americanizations of the dish. But here's what I got nonetheless:

Ortiz, Mexican Cooking: Fry tortilla until crisp. Cover a fried tortilla with refried beans. Top it with a fried egg. Put another tostada on top of that. Add another fried egg. Top with salsa de jitomate and Tabasco. Garnish with peas and Parmesan.

Poore, 1,000 Mexican Recipes: Fried tortilla covered with beans. Lightly coat with salsa de jitomate. Place a sunnyside up egg on top of that. Garnish with ham, peas, and fried plantains.

The 1,000 Mexican Recipes one sounds exactly like what you'd get served in the Yucatan. I always thought it was kind of gross, but....it's "authentic" (I think some restaurant in Mérida claims to have invented it--the chef was from Motul or something).

Edited to add: And those are fried _sweet_ plantains, just to make the whole dish extra weird.

Edited to add: The resto in Mérida is Siqueff (scroll down), and this page (scroll down) for a description and picture of the dish.

Edited by zora (log)

Zora O’Neill aka "Zora"

Roving Gastronome

Yeah, the latter description sounds like what I had in mind. I'll keep an eye out for the 1,000 cookbook. Although I went to the Yucatan a few times as a kid, my memories of the dish come from when a family friend would come over to our house and make the dish every now and then on a sunday. He'd show up with a brown-paper grocery bag of stuff, stacked in a big cast-iron skillet, and he'd do breakfast. If any body else has any more suggestions on this dish I'd like to hear them. Thanks again.

• 5 weeks later...