• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Visiting Goa this year

Monica Bhide

I am so thrilled. I will have the opp to visit Goa this year... I have waited so many years for this .. I cannot tell you how thrilled I am

So comeone folks help out.. what are the places to in Goa to try some authentic food... any hints tips would be greatly appreciated

:wub:

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

First of all, this is a terrific forum. I discovered it by accident. I'm blown away with the intelligent and in-depth discussions and the eGCI classes. Congrats to you and Suvir and others for enlightening us.

What month of the year will you be in Goa? It affects what kind of fish is available. The live (not farm raised) warm Indian Ocean prawns are to die for. Pomfet curry, reichade( masala) stuffed in pomfret and friet, ambot tik (shark curry) are to scream about. Being Goan, I'm picky. My favourite is Menino's in Ponda. I'll assemble a list of other upscale but authentic places. Oh boy, I can't stop salivating.

Roy

Please bring Feni for everyone. I know you are allowed only two bottles but I know this person who fills up a dozen mineral water bottles with the stuff and breezes through customs. We will have a grand welcome back party!

bhasin

Believe it or not, but cashew (caju feni) is legitimately imported in the U.S. as of a few weeks ago. In fact, the launch party was at a Union Street bar in San Francisco with different cocktail concotions. The importer is Kevin Colaco and the website is www.goafeni.com

A few years ago, I had the unfortunate experience of travelling with ten bottles of feni in my overhead luggage. True goan village moonshine feni is sealed in bottles with ,gasp!, candle wax. Well, you can guess the result at high altitude. The wax dislodged and.............

Feni and goa sausages, chourice, are the two most treasured smuggled items. The latter used to be sealed in cans. Of course, the dead giveaway was the bad solder job around the can. If not, the Customs dogs usually got it.

Thankfully, both items as well as other goan specialties are now available in the States and Canada through www.goacom.com

Pardon the plug, but I'm not associated with either site. I'd just like goan food, like vindaloo, get its due respect.

If not, the Customs dogs usually got it.

and indulged in some sussegado!

Roy, whenever I come across a goan, I ask which village?

I dont know many villages but it certainly breaks a lot of ice with a goan especially if seated in a bar.

So which village? :biggrin:

I fry by the heat of my pans. ~ Suresh Hinduja

http://www.gourmetindia.com