• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast London

Am looking for somewhere to have a relaxed breakfast/brunch, preferably with champagne (so, just to be difficult, I guess that means a late breakfast!), in t'smoke on Monday...we're staying Bloomsbury, but moving towards Tate Modern for late lunchtime, if that helps at all??

It no longer exists, but it was lovely.

Absolutely, definitely, without a shadow of a doubt, the Charlotte Street Hotel. It's splendid, and not far away. Great for celeb spotting, but relaxed and charming.

Check they do champagne, but I know they do great food.

15-17 Charlotte Street London W1T 1RJ

Tel: +44 20 7806 2000 Fax: +44 20 7806 2002

Email: charlotte@firmdale.com

If you want a cheaper alternative, go to Balans restaurant (there are two, one called the cafe i think; restaurant has an open front which is good in summer). Mainly gay clientelle (it's in Old Compton street). They do great brunch. Again, check they serve champagned in the morning.

Balans 60 Old Compton Street, W1D (020) 7439 2183

Edited by Gus (log)

Of COURSE you know I was just kidding - heck, I even changed my sig for you... :biggrin:

Besides, you mentioned champagne as an option. As I'm not actually much of a breakfast eater I haven't got any good recommendations, but I embrace your proposed hedonism.

Cheers

Bainesy

Sheffield, where I changed,

And ate an awful pie