• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Delicious British Delicacies

One thing I learnt from this thread is that "shepherd's pie" is probably the hardest English dish to spell.  I am English, with some Irish family, and have never heard it suggested that shepherd's pie originated in Ireland (although I am sure it's available in the Republic as well as throughout the UK).

I do miss English or Scottish black puddings terribly; can't get a really good one in New York.  The other great delicacy - if that's the right word! - of British cuisine must be savoury pies.  Pork pies, gala pies, steak and kidney pies, chicken and mushroom pies, Cornish pasties, sausage rolls.  And don't forget Scotch eggs.

Mowbray Pie!

MInced pork. Lardy crust. Cold with some mustard. Or hot with mustard. And blackened tomatoes.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I'm shortly returning to the UK after an extended vistit to the US. ScottF my darling Hubby asked what I would like my first meal to be.

I WANT A FRY-UP!

Proper Bacon, Proper Sausages, Heinz baked beans, fried Kingsmill bread, and the biggest free range fried egg I can obtain.

Other English delacacies that run a close second to my fry-up were;

Toad in the hole

Bubble and Squeak

Proper Sausage rolls (Made from scratch)

A proper roast dinner with crispy roast potatos and lashings of gravy - In fact, I will be eating this on Sunday!

• 1 year later...

I'm in the process of re-reading Bill Bryson's "Notes from a Small Island" (having just finished his latest awesome, page-turning project, "A Short History of Nearly Everything") and am SO in need of a trip to the UK that I am practically in tears as I'm dreaming of toasted tea cakes and a strong and hot cuppa in a cozy tea room watching the rain streaming down. Then I find this thread and the more I read the more depressed I get.

My needs are very simple. Can anyone share a tea cake recipe and any prep secrets that may go along with it? Are they generally called "Yorkshire tea cakes" or does the name change regionally?

Thank you, thank you and if anyone wants to swap places with me here in Long Beach, CA, I'll do it as soon as my new passport arrives!

kit

"I'm bringing pastry back"

Weebl

Lots already covered but how about:

Asparagus

Samphire

Apples (I struggle to eat apples once the season is over, there is no comparison between a cox and 'Le Crunch Bunch')

Rhubarb (especially in a crumble)

English puds (jam roly poly, treacle tart etc)

Pies, puddings and pasties (steak and kidney, Cornish etc)

Cumberland sausages (and other traditional regional variations)

Bacon butties

Seafood (wild Scottish Salmon, Irish oysters, Dover sole)

Crisps (have you ever looked at the crisps selection in a foreign supermarket? Pitiful...)

Could go on and on and on but I'm now starving and must just go and get a little smackerel of something.

Cheers

It's all true... I admit to being the MD of Holden Media, organisers of the Northern Restaurant and Bar exhibition, the Northern Hospitality Awards and other Northern based events too numerous to mention.

I don't post here as frequently as I once did, but to hear me regularly rambling on about bollocks - much of it food and restaurant-related - in a bite-size fashion then add me on twitter as "thomhetheringto".

I'm surprised that nobody has suggested Steak & Kidney pudding, absolutely delicious when done properly. OOPS! Just noticed that the originating post did, sorry Simon!

And Curry, I like to think of the Anglo- Indian curry as the original fusion cuisine. It's 'trendy' to slag off restaurant curries for their lack of authenticity these days, I think that's a shame.

And Wimpy hamburger restaurants, a bender in a bun. Yes please!

Distinguish between

Sheperd's pie: Made with lamb, or even better mutton (hence sheperd), mashed potato topping, fork marks to look like thatch

and

Cottage pie: Beef, overlapping rounds of potatoes like tiles.

While we are on the subject:

Proper suet pastry based puddings: steak-and-oyster, sussex pond, kentish well, marmelade, ginger

bacon and leek roly poly..

Irish stew

Dumplings

And Wimpy hamburger restaurants, a bender in a bun. Yes please!

The much missed Pirate's Platter from the Golden Egg was a great fave.

At the weekend, I received a package of Weasand from a chum in Leeds. A prize to anyone who can tell me what that is.

Very good it was too

S

Oh yes. Hard cheeses. Nothing like English cheeses.

Forbes guide to English cheeses.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Weasand is wind-pipe or esophogus, Used as a sausage casing, and hence the name for a type of sausage.

Bring back Tripe!

I bought a copy of Veraswamy's Indian Cookery on a charity stall at the weekend. He gives a recipe for Tripe Curry...

Edited by jackal10 (log)

Oh, Lancashire hotpot too, with plenty of red cabbage on the side.

How could I have forgotten such a wondrous dish.

Cheers

Thom

It's all true... I admit to being the MD of Holden Media, organisers of the Northern Restaurant and Bar exhibition, the Northern Hospitality Awards and other Northern based events too numerous to mention.

I don't post here as frequently as I once did, but to hear me regularly rambling on about bollocks - much of it food and restaurant-related - in a bite-size fashion then add me on twitter as "thomhetheringto".

Jackal is correct. usually found in northern tripe shops to the right of the roast udder

I love tripe, just boiled and served with an onion sauce

As for Lancashire, the Black pudding there is the one thing it does better than Yorkshire. Burnley pudding in particular with those huge chunks of back fat. MMMM

S

Edited by Simon Majumdar (log)

Pimms and London Dry Gin.

If Pimm's no 1 cup was the mixer for gin, what were the other ( up to No 7 I believe ) mixers for?

S

They are not mixeers for, but based on the following:

Pimms No. 1 = Gin base

Pimms No. 2 = Scotch

Pimms No. 3 =brandy

Pimms No. 4 = rum

Pimms No. 5 = rye

Pimms No. 6 = vodka

Only No. 1 and 6 are now in production and No. 6 is made in tiny amounts. No.2-6 were all post WWII.