• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fish market in LA

not mid-wilshire, but santa monica seafood for certain kinds of fish--let's say the ones aimed at an anglo market. for other kinds of things: mackerels, pomfret, black cod, eel, all kinds of whole snappers, tilapia, monkfish, beltfish etc. head to the large korean markets in koreatown. you get fish here that you won't get at most of the mainstream places, and they're cheaper (you can also get them whole). compare for, instance, the price of monkfish at santa monica seafood and at any major korean grocery.

Edited by mongo_jones (log)

We have The Fish Guy at the Long Beach Farmers Markets (damn, what is his name?) -- don't know if he or anyone like him frequents the SM or LA markets. But I've also had great luck at Wild Oats in LB, so if there is one near you, I'd give them a try as well.

kit

"I'm bringing pastry back"

Weebl

What about Fishland on Olympic in Bev. Hills?

It has been a while since I was there but since the other place in Bev. Hills closed, (can't recall the name) this one has been frequented by quite a few people I know.

Were you thinking of one of the guys from Berth 55 in Long Beach? Before they opened the restaurant didn't they used to sell at the Farmer's Market?

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

cyclox, welcome to eGullet!

Unfortunately, I think Fishland is now defunct.

I'm not that familiar with that neighborhood, but I agree with Mongo about SM Seafood and Korean supermarkets. I'm stopping in the old 3rd & Fairfax Farmer's Market today, I'll see if anything looks good there.

Russ, can you chime in here?

He did a thing some months back in the LA Times on the various fish buying places around town. You might try scrolling through the Digests of the LA Times food section here.

So long and thanks for all the fish.