• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine Match Help: Pinot pairing with pomegrate pork

wnissen

Hello Folks,

Just back from a trip to Portland, I got a hankering to try a recipe tailor made to match pinot noir. That means reluctantly going to the second-most-frustrating cookbook I own, The Wine Lover's Cookbook (sorry, Robin, it was a gift...). It has a recipe for Grilled Pork Tenderloin with Pomegranate Sauce. Two tenderloins are sauced with 2 T chopped shallot, 1 T olive oil, 1/2 cup each port and pinot noir, 2 T raspberry vinegar, 1/4 tsp peppercorns, 1/4 c. pomegranate concentrate, 1/2 cup orange juice, 1.5 c. stock, 2 star anise pods, 1 tsp. honey (or to taste), and 2 T butter. The book says, "This pomegranate sauce brings out a similar flavor in many pinot noirs - a sweet-tart character that is quite intriguing. The use of star anise in the sauce plays into the exotic Asian spice character that can show itself in both the bouquet and flavor of many pinot noirs."

So, what would you pair with this somewhat sweet recipe? Here is the selection of pinot noirs in the cellar, courtesy of CellarTracker:

375ml 1998 Acacia Pinot Noir Carneros (Carneros, Napa Valley, California, USA)

750ml 1996 Régis Bouvier Côte de Nuits Villages Cuvée Vielles Vignes (Côte de Nuits Villages, Côte de Nuits, Burgundy, France)

750ml 2001 Brick House Pinot Noir Cuvee Du Tonnelier (Willamette Valley, Oregon, USA)

750ml 2000 Firesteed Cellars Pinot Noir (Oregon, USA)

750ml 2001 Navarro Vineyards Pinot Noir (Mendocino, North Coast, California, USA)

750ml 2001 Domaine Serene Pinot Noir Yamhill Cuvee (Willamette Valley, Oregon, USA)

750ml 2001 Sokol Blosser Pinot Noir (Willamette Valley, Oregon, USA)

750ml 2001 St. Innocent Pinot Noir (Willamette Valley, Oregon, USA)

750ml 1997 Tollot-Beaut & Fils Bourgogne (Bourgogne, Burgundy, France)

750ml 2001 Torii Mor Pinot Noir (Oregon, USA)

750ml 2000 Van Duzer Pinot Noir "Barrel Select" Estate (Willamette Valley, Oregon, USA)

750ml 1999 Van Duzer Pinot Noir "Flagpole Block" Estate (Willamette Valley, Oregon, USA)

750ml N.V. Georges Vesselle Coteaux Champenois Grand Cru (Coteaux Champenois, Bouzy, Champagne, France)

750ml 2001 Willakenzie Estate Pinot Noir (Oregon, USA)

Honestly, I don't know whether to go with a riper Pinot or one with more acid. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Walt

Walt Nissen -- Livermore, CA

Mmm, you've got several of my favorite Pinots on that list! I'd save the orange juice for last, make the marinade, stick my finger in, and then decide, while dribbling the oj in to taste. With the star anise, it sounds like maybe a deeper Pinot, but oj can have an incredibly brightening effect. Sounds like an interesting marinade for pork!

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

Hi DoverCanyon,

Thanks for the tip, I will wait on the OJ until it's almost all boiled down. Actually, the above recipe is the sauce, I didn't even include the marinade, which was red wine, chopped shallot, ground allspice, crushed star anise, olive oil, salt, and pepper! I like that cookbook, but the recipes with two dozen ingredients are a pain to put together.

If anyone has a specific recco, please let me know, I'm about to start cooking!

With that much sweetness and spice, I'd recommend a very fruit-forward wine. I've not had many of those wines from recent vintages, but based on what I do know I'd recommend either the Brick House or the Willzkenzie. Be sure to decant well in advance.

--- Lee

Seattle

Hee, you crazy guys! Well, I did go with the Willakenzie, which turned out to have a combination of bass, serious cherry notes with lighter underripe strawberry. A very interesting wine. The sauce was not as sweet as I had anticipated (I ended up adding all the orange juice) and was not harsh at all with the 13.8% Willakenzie. The star anise and allspice really showed off the fruit and spice of the wine, and I was completely impressed.

The only thing that didn't work out 100% was the grilling of the tenderloin, which was about 35F when I started. It took twice as long as specified, and the sugar on the outside got a little burned, which detracted a tiny bit from the flavor. Live and learn. Thanks for your comments.

Walt

That means reluctantly going to the second-most-frustrating cookbook I own, The Wine Lover's Cookbook (sorry, Robin, it was a gift...).

Why is this book frustrating?

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

That means reluctantly going to the second-most-frustrating cookbook I own, The Wine Lover's Cookbook (sorry, Robin, it was a gift...).

Why is this book frustrating?

You can read what I wrote a little while ago when I was more down on it:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...ntry462214'

It's frustrating because it does often produce excellent pairings, but sometimes it's very blah. Of course, now that the pinot succeeded it is back in my good graces and I love it and want to make more recipes from it. Very love-hate.

Walt

Edited by wnissen (log)