• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fluid Flex

mignardise

Hi, I'm new here. Great site!

I have been experimenting with Fluid Flex. I've tried a couple of formulas so far.

These using whole eggs, which of course produces a yellow cake.

Does anyone have a formula using Fluid Flex that produces a lighter color, perhaps mostly whites.

Mignardise

And it looks and feels like Vaseline!

Love to play pranks on newbies with it. (Yes, I photoshopped a big Vaseline label and stuck

it on the bucket, then told my new employee to start scaling up the stuff for a big batch of

cakes. Also changed the recipe to say Vaseline instead of "Fluid Flex".) :raz:

Pastry chefs just wanna have fun.

And it looks and feels like Vaseline!

Love to play pranks on newbies with it. (Yes, I photoshopped a big Vaseline label and stuck it on the bucket, then told my new employee to start scaling up the stuff for a big batch of cakes. Also changed the recipe to say Vaseline instead of "Fluid Flex".) :raz:

Pastry chefs just wanna have fun.

Oh man, that is EVIL! :shock:

(and really, really funny :laugh: )

Would you mind sharing your formula for Fluid Flex? I'm still looking for a good one to try.

The only time I used Fluid Flex was when I managed a bakery north of Seattle. I used to have the recipe in my head because I made it so much, but it has since vanished into the dark cobwebby recesses of my brain......however.....it was yellow sponge and chocolate sponge that I made with it.....you said you were looking for a whiter cake, so my recipe wouldn't have helped anyway.

My thoughts:

Have you tried making your yellow cake recipe with just whites? Since yolks are an emulsifier and a tenderizer in a cake formula, you might notice a quality difference in a normal type of butter cake recipe, but since Fluid Flex is a great emulsifier and tenderizer in and of itself, you

may just be able to sub whites for whole eggs and it would be just as good. I'd like to know what you other PC's who are familiar with Fluid Flex think of that.

Personally, I hadn't heard of Fluid Flex til I got to that Seattle bakery.....I thought it was the strangest stuff. But having made tons of yellow and chocolate cakes with it, I gotta say it's

magical stuff! It was so easy to use I felt like I was cheating.......but man, it makes outstanding

cakes.......and the shelf life! The only things I hate about Fluid Flex are:

*It's hard to find, and if you do find a supplier that carries it, it's usually special order, which is a hassle. I've always wondered about that.....I mean a product that good should be in higher demand, shoudn't it? I don't know anyone who's tried it who didn't like it!

*Not easy to find recipes that call for Fluid Flex, which leads me to this question:

If I have a cake formula that uses an emulsified solid shortening like Sweetex, can I substitute

it 1:1 with the Fluid Flex? Anyone know?

No I don't think you can substitute one for one. Is sweetex a hi ratio shortening? I think sweetex is made by proctor and gamble, which makes Nutex, a liquid hi ratio shortening. I have that formula at least, and somewhere I have a folder that has a bunch of formulas that proctor and gamble sent me using sweetex and nutex.

I did use fluid flex for a cake calling for an emulsified shortening. It came out okay, a bit crumbly, but it was okay.

Isn't Nutex the same thing, but different companies? McDuff, wold love to see your formulas.

I am new to this product, I have only tried two formulas, would like to do more comparisons.

Thanks Chefpeon, always was bad at math, and bakers percentages,etc...

Hate to adjust recipes on my own, there is always a disaster waiting. I have no patience for that. Just want a tried and true. Would love to unweb your cobwebs for that yellow. it doesn't matter at this point...............about the white. Just want a good yellow to start with.

My food distributor has the Nutex as well as Fluid flex. I just went for the Fluid Flex.

Although one formula calls for liquid shortening. So, my guess is,this stuff is similar.

Also, whats' the shelf life for this huge bucket of vaseline?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here's a formula for cakes using Nutex. Makes a fairly nice cake, if you like that kind of thing. I remember having the folder from Proctor and Gamble in my hand recently as I was cleaning the cellar. But I'm going to have to dig for it.

whole eggs 3 lb 5 oz

liquid shortening 1 lb 4 oz Nutex

milk 1 lb

vanilla 2 oz

sugar 2 lb 8 oz

cake flour 2 lb

baking powder 2.25 oz

salt .75 oz

Put all liquid ingredients in mixer bowl. Sift all dry ingredients. Place dry on wet, mix on low for 30 seconds to moisten. Whip 4 minutes on high, scrape down, mix 3 minutes on medium. Scale 1 lb 7 oz to a 9" pan, 350 till golden brown.

All purpose flour will work, won't be as tender, but don't try it with high gluten.