• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Better Lleida than "nevah".

I'm heading for a week to relax in La Seu d'Urgell. Other than going to Andorra to buy some stogies, I wish for some eating addresses and insight in driveable distance, if any of you have any.

My sous chef spent 3 years at a restaurant just outside Lleida and knows the area very well. I will ask him for suggestions and let you know.

J.

Robert, You will be a substantial mountain drive from the Valle d'Aran, but Casa Irene in Arties is supposed to excellent. So is Can Boix in Peramola. The Relais & Chateaux Tapies-Hotel restaurant in La Seu d'Urgell is expensive and gets mixed reviews. Andria is apparently a very good traditional restaurant in La Seu. Sorry, I can't be of more help, but that is a part of Spain that I do not know at all.

Xixo Castaño's Malena (Avda. Josep Tarradelles, 45-47, phone 973211541) is the area's up-and-coming modern restaurant. Unfortunately, you'll have to drive all the way down to Lleida, the provincial capital, to eat there.

Victor de la Serna

elmundovino

Gerry, the Tapies-Hotel is where we'be staying, so at least one meal there is inevitable. I have innate scepticism of Relais & Chateaux food. But thanks for the recommendation of the other place in town. I may try to go to the more distant places, but all I can conjure up is being stuck behind an RV on a narrow mountain road. Thanks Victor, and I look forward to hearing from you, BCN.

I don't know any restaurants to recommend in the area. I know one in Jaca, but that's halfway or more to Pamplona and over mountain ridges. Otherwise the ones I know or have heard of are in Girona and that area. It should be a beautiful area. Esilda wanted to go there when we drove from Barcelona to San Sebastian, but with the mountain ridges running north/south, it meant a special trip rather than just a detour.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

By the way, Campsa rates Tàpies as two "soles." I've never found any guide totally reliable, but two "soles" in Campsa would lead me to expect very good food. Sometimes Campsa is a little too enthusiastic, but they seem closer to the marn that Michelin which seems content to ignore up and coming restaurants until someone dies to make room in the next category.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

I spoke to Jordi and he suggested two restaurants already mentioned by other members:

- Gerry Dawe's suggestion of Can Boix

- Victor's suggestion of Malena

In his opinion, Malena is heads and shoulders above the others and merits any extra effort necessary to go there.

He was less enthusiastic about Casa Irene. He felt that since it became known that the King dines there every so often, it has become more "commercial".

I have not dined in any of these places myself, however I have 110% confidence in any restaurant Jordi recommends.

Let us know how your meals go. (and take pix!!!)

J.

More suggestions, this time from Jordi's girlfriend. She works for Turisme Catalunya in Lleida and spoke to some friends in La Seu who made the following suggestions:

- Restaurant de l'hotel Andria (La Seu d'Urgell - 973.350300)

- Restaurant del Parador Nacional (la Seu d'Urgell - 973.352000)

- Restaurant La Masia (Montferrer - 973.352445)

- Restaurant Taberna Noguers (Pont de Bar - 973.384020)

- Restaurant Cal teixidor (Tamariu - 973.360121)

In Lleida itself, she repeated the suggestion to dine at Malena.

J.