• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Shake Shack

Fat Guy

. . . it is "burger joint" (lower case) and the Parker Meridian is specified because there are at least two other unrelated "Burger Joints" in Manhattan.

I'm not sure there is any "official" name. I don't recall seeing any signage to that effect there (although I may not be remembering correctly), and Le Parker Meridien's web site doesn't give it a name either -- although they do name the other associated restaurants (Seppi's and Norma's).

Looks like Citysearch lists it as "Burger Joint." With capitals.

That said, I wouldn't say Citysearch is the ultimate authority on, well, anything. So I checked Zagat's, and they list it as "burger joint," lower-case. I think you'll only be able to view the link with a Zagat's subscription, so you'll just have to take my word for it. :wink:

Unless you have a subscription (I'm on some sort of free trial, myself), in which case you don't have to take my word for anything.

On the issue of the burgers, I have to agree with what's been said - I think the single burger provides a better ratio of condiments to bun and meat. I'm sad that I've had very few opportunities to sample the Shack's wares - I used to work at 11 Madison Avenue, but now I'm in Midtown. I really miss lunch in the old 'hood!

Edited by Megan Blocker (log)

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

Pretty sure the only signage is that neon burger.

Which would make their name kind of like when Prince changed his, right?

I want pancakes! God, do you people understand every language except English? Yo quiero pancakes! Donnez moi pancakes! Click click bloody click pancakes!

Pretty sure the only signage is that neon burger.

Which would make their name kind of like when Prince changed his, right?

The Restaurant Formerly Known as Burger Joint.

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

I had lunch at the Shake Shack today. I arrived around 12:30pm and it only took 20 minutes to get through both of the lines.

Cost for a shack burger and fries was $6.75. So nice that tax is included. I am not used to that.

I never get tomato on a burger because I'm not a raw tomato fan and the tomatoes are usually some color other than red. I decided to get the tomato anyway. And it was good. Red. And it tasted like a tomato. I am always afraid that tomatoes are going to taste mealy. This one was sweet.

The burger was juicy. And that made me happy. I am used to thin burgers tasting dry. And the inside was pink. And that made me happy too.

The burger was small. And that made me very happy. In Chicago, everything is supersized. This burger was just the right size.

As for the fries, they weren't terrible. And that made me happy. I only ate half and that was plenty for me. If they had been the way I prefer them, I would have eaten them all and wanted more.

I was perfectly full. And pleased with my meal. It was definitely worth every penny of the $6.75.

- kim

If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. - Carl Sagan

I have rehearsals Thursday and Friday evening at a space just east of the park. Guess where I'm going for dinner...both days!!!

mmm...I can taste that shack burger now. *rubbing hands together gleefully* :biggrin:

K

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

Last September, after landing at LaGuardia in the dregs of a hurricane (one of the ones that started with an f. Although they all start with an f, come to think of it ), I celebrated my return to terra firma with Shake Shack. The custard machine was broken, but I was happy to be alive, so settled for an incomplete experience.

Today, I landed again after flying over another effing hurricane, so I figured perhaps that broken custard machine was unfinished business. Like a foodie Kafka character, I'd be doomed to repeat the same experience every September. So I made my way back to the shack, had a double shack burger and a coffee shack. I mean, shake.

Hopefully, the gods are sated and the spell is broken. Now if I could just figure oout how to could stop a blizzard in December by repeated stops at Grey's Papaya. . .

The burger was a bit pinker than I expected, by the way, but the slice of roma tomato was worthy. I also usually skip tomato on sandwiches, partly because I'm so often disappointed, and partly because of several painful experiences in which a whole slice of beefsteak ended up on my chin. Girls shouldn't have red beards.

Edited by kpurvis (log)

Kathleen Purvis, food editor, The Charlotte (NC) Observer

Since I was in the neighborhood (actually like a mile away, but hey, that's walking distance :raz: ) yesterday, I figured it was time for some Shack Shack frozen custard. I'd had it twice before, and loved it both times. First time, vanilla custard with rainbow sprinkles. Second time, pumpkin concrete. This time....Code Blue. Concrete consisting of vanilla custard with blueberrie pie mixed in. Sooooooooooo good. Wow. I love this stuff :wub:

• 3 weeks later...

With all the recent press about the shack I attemted twice, the first time a line of roughly 50 plus at 1:30 sent me to BLT Fish. A return visit last friday at 3pm was much more successful. I ordered a large choclate shake ( delicious ), a hot dog with onions and sauerkraut ( no better than your typical 'dirty dog' stand fare - the joint on 6th avenue is far better!) and a shack burger ( ok, nothing special, but nothing to stand in line for- stick to the corner bistro ) all for $14.00.

DM..kick it up a notch!

Oh I had the fries too, again nothing special..

Edited by Mark PPX (log)

the salt content of the burgers has either noticably increased, or having not had a shack burger in a month or so i've lost my taste for them.. extremely salty burger the other night.. still enjoyable, but i was drinking water like a fish all night..

the hours are changing.. they cut back to an 8 pm closing next week and breakfast begins in two weeks, so they'll be opening at 8 am.. not posted on their website but indicated at the shack are some weekend hours that appear to be severely curtailed..

• 1 month later...
Is it right to assume that the Shake Shack is closed for the winter?

I was there about 4 weeks ago and they said they weren't closing till December 23. Oooh. Mmmm. That makes me think there might be nothing nicer than a snowy shack burger.

K

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Was running some errands in the Madison Square Park/Flatiron District area on Sun. 03/26/06, and stopped by the Shake Shack for a quick lunch. I arrived around noon and the line was not long at all. When I was passing by again around 2:00 pm, the line was all the way down to the corner of Madison and 23rd St.

I went to the Shake Shack on several occasions last season, and am familiar with the select items I usually order due to my dietary restrictions (primarily low-carb). I typically order the double shack burger and the Chicago dog along with my bottled water. I know the buns have a few more carbs than I should consume, but at least I don't order any fries or a concrete! And, I visit the Shake Shack only every few months or so as a treat for myself.

On this visit, both the burger and the hot dog did not seem as fresh in terms of buns and toppings as in the past, and not as hot upon service, so not as good as expected overall. These minor errors may be due in part to just how extremely early in the season it still is. Given that the Shake Shack has just resumed service after a long hiatus, and with my previously excellent experiences, I will not dwell on this particular visit and try again. I continue to highly recommend the Shake Shack.

Edited by CMA (log)

Not sure if anyone noted it here yet, but the Shack now takes credit cards as well.

But I continue to be amazed by people's conversations waiting on line - how can someone go the the Shake Shack "all the time" and still not have had a shack burger?

What the hell are they eating?

I want pancakes! God, do you people understand every language except English? Yo quiero pancakes! Donnez moi pancakes! Click click bloody click pancakes!

Eater, Kalina reports on Shake Shack

Speaking of opening irregularities, has anyone seen this piece on Eater?

Dryden, I don't have a really good answer for your question, but orders _not_ involving orders get expedited. That's not reason enough for me to avoid a double stack. Then again, I find the Chicago dog to be pretty tasty, too. Given the length of the line I haven't tried any of the specialty wursts/dogs.

Larry

• 3 weeks later...

That piece is shameful. What was Eater thinking?

Some information on Shake Shack just came in through PR channels:

New Spring/Summer hours:

o        Starting on Monday, April 17th, the new Shake Shack hours will be 11am-9pm daily.

o        Starting on Friday, May 12th, the hours will extend to 11am-11pm daily.

In order to meet increased demand for later hours, we have decided to hold off on breakfast at the Shack and focus on providing a great dining experience under the stars – we hope you’ll join us for dinner, dessert, or after-work drinks. And don’t forget to check out our website, www.shakeshacknyc.com to view the April custard calendar.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

That piece is shameful. What was Eater thinking?

Some information on Shake Shack just came in through PR channels:

New Spring/Summer hours:

o        Starting on Monday, April 17th, the new Shake Shack hours will be 11am-9pm daily.

o        Starting on Friday, May 12th, the hours will extend to 11am-11pm daily.

In order to meet increased demand for later hours, we have decided to hold off on breakfast at the Shack and focus on providing a great dining experience under the stars – we hope you’ll join us for dinner, dessert, or after-work drinks. And don’t forget to check out our website, www.shakeshacknyc.com to view the April custard calendar.

that's disappointing, i was getting excited for breakfast as soon as passover ends, the breakfast shack was world better than the shack burger, imho..

I recieved a communique this week from USHG PR that Shake Shack will now be serving Billecart Salmon Champagne.

Burgers and Fries with Champagne. Brilliant.

They've apparently had beer and wine for a while, but something about them serving Champagne now makes them a destination restaurant. I wonder how many proposing couples they'll get now.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

i went around 6:30 today.

christ

who the hell waits on that line

its a hamburger!!!!

!!!!

i dont understand people.

i wanted to try it, but i wouldn't even wait that long to get into a 3 star restaurant.