• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Shake Shack

Fat Guy

Hey LauraB - slkinsey, SarahD and I just missed you. We ate lunch there around 12:30 yesterday!

Rather, we ARRIVED around 12:30 and ate around 1pm, there was a very long (but friendly) line.

I had the Shack burger with cheese fries and a root beer float. The burger was OUTSTANDING, period (it says they're cooked medium, but mine was medium rare, just how I like it - and I had not specified). The fries were extremely tasty, indeed, but we all agreed that the cheese on 'em isn't worth the extra $ you pay for them.

The root beer float was HUGE, rich and delicious.

We'll be back for lunch, dinner and snacks frequently, I think.

K

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

We went back to the Shake Shack today and their custard machine was broken! No custards, concretes, or shakes. :( They said the machine had started smoking. This was just before noon, so maybe they have made repairs by now.

Avoiding the custard, I've now had three Double Shack Burgers (or is it four?). One was slightly overcooked, but the others were so good that they defied all attempts at analysis or deconstruction: I just wolfed them down greedily until they were no more.

"To Serve Man"

-- Favorite Twilight Zone cookbook

:sad:  We stopped by the Shake Shack on Saturday afternoon to get some custard, and the machines were STILL broken.  The sign just said no custard, shakes, or concretes "until further notice."

My guess is that they couldn't get someone to come fix it until after the holiday weekend.

K

• 3 weeks later...

I finally got a chance to try the custard on Sunday afternoon. It was such a nice day out, I decided to read in the park for a while (and of course I had to try the custard, since I just happened to be in the park :wink: ). I had the vanilla single dip cone. I was very impressed. I loved the texture. It was the first time I had tried frozen custard, but now it definitely won't be the last. I need to go back soon (and next time...vanilla with rainbow sprinkles...my all-time favorite :biggrin: ).

I just wanted to thank everyone for suggesting this place. I just got back from a few days in NYC, and other then visiting friends this was the place I was dying to go to (Hey, I'm a student on a budget..I can't quite afford per se yet). It didn't disappoint. The weather was beautiful so if nice to just sit outside and people watch while eating one tasty burger and shake. I wish I could have had the custard, but the deep-fried Mars bar I had an hour earlier meant that a double-burger, fries and a caramel shake was all I could take.

Edited by piperdown (log)

• 2 weeks later...

Andrea Strong reports on her website that the Shake Shack will close for the season on November 1, so get your burgers while you can.

"If it's me and your granny on bongos, then it's a Fall gig'' -- Mark E. Smith

I just called the Shake Shack to confirm this - it is indeed true. They expect to re-open some time in March.

And just when I was figuring that the lines would be shorter...

I want pancakes! God, do you people understand every language except English? Yo quiero pancakes! Donnez moi pancakes! Click click bloody click pancakes!

Received the following communique from USHG:

"Shacktoberfest" will be held at Shake Shack from Monday, October 18 through Friday, October 22. The event will feature special guest, Terry Miller, aka, "The Hot Dog Man" from Fort Collins, Colorado.  Every evening from 5:00pm-9:00pm, Terry will grill a different sausage.  To go along with the special dogs, Shake Shack will offer a special beer and concrete each night. Other Shacktoberfest activities will include:

* Election Straw Poll - In light of the upcoming election, Shake Shack will offer blue or red straws to each person who orders a beverage, and will post the results at the end of each day.

* Sundae School - Saturday, October 23, Shake Shack will teach kids how to make frozen custard followed by a "Make your Own Sundae Party."

* Shake Shack will also unveil three new seasonal concrete flavors including Shakes-Pear in the Park, Carmel Apple with Toasted Pecans, and Pumpkin Pie.

* Giveaways (t-shirts, sun visors, shorts, etc.), prizes and more fun.

Shake Shack, which opened this past summer, will be closing for the winter, hibernating until Spring. So, last chance to enjoy the mouthwatering hot dogs, burgers and frozen custards for a while...

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

"Shake Shack will also unveil three new seasonal concrete flavors including Shakes-Pear in the Park, Carmel Apple with Toasted Pecans, and Pumpkin Pie."

I'm at a total loss. Pear and Pumpkin. Pumpkin and Pear. I read that about six times because I was sure I was mis-reading it. YUUUUUUUUUUUUM!! Thanks for those details, Jason!! I'm there.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I had a great reason to get in to NYC today...to meet a friend who works at 28th and 5th. And even on this blustery day, you know what that means...lunch from the Shake Shack!! We got there around 1:20, ordered two double Shack Burgers (5.95 ea), an order of fries (1.95), and one each of the Pumpkin Pie and Shakes-PEAR In the Park concretes (6.75 ea). To go. $27.75 total.

There were a few brave souls sitting at the tables, but we stood near the Shack and didn't wait more than 5 minutes for our order. When I was handed the bag, I asked where the concretes were. "In the bag." I must have looked at her like she had three heads. "With the hot food?" Um, yeah. Chalk up one error in packing judgement, crew! :hmmm: She was already calling the next order, so we just took them out of the bag and carried them separately.

Sadly, b/c of the outside temps and lack of cover over them in the bag, the top layer of fries were cold by the time we walked the 5 (short) blocks back to Jim's office. Luckily, the fries were on top of the burgers, keeping them warm. That was a GREAT burger. An AWESOME burger, in fact! And for $5.95!!! Wow. Jim, who just isn't into food, was marvelling at the beautiful tomatoes and the romaine lettuce on his burger, and announced that the fries were really, REALLY good. And I'll have to swim upstream in this thread to find out what's in the sauce. YUM!!

The concretes were less than concrete by the time we got to them. More like soupy. But the Pumpkin one was full of spice, and the Pear is VERY interesting...their 'official' version is with poached pears, chocolate sauce, almond paste and chocolate custard. I'm really not a chocolate kind of gal, so I had them make it with vanilla; it's VERY almondy. But very tasty! It's also in my freezer, so I'll try more of it later when it's a little more um, concrete.

Get there before they close for the season, folks!!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

• 2 weeks later...

For those of you trying to get your end of season Shack fix in, the new closing date is November 8th, although they will only be open until 4 PM starting on the 1st.

I want pancakes! God, do you people understand every language except English? Yo quiero pancakes! Donnez moi pancakes! Click click bloody click pancakes!

I was over at shake shack this afternoon. I split the trilogy (2 meat patties and mushroom) and the elk sausage with a friend of mine.

The trilogy was big, almost impossible to fit into my mouth and it was very good.

But the elk sausage was very dissapointing probably one of the worst sausages I've ever eaten. There was absolutely no flavor. It tasted like an underseasoned pork sausage. It almost made me want to go over to the street fair on PAS to get an italian sausage to cleanse my mouth out.

There are a couple of problems that may have resulted in such a crappy sausage.

1: I think they only boil the sausages. I saw the veal brat sitting in some liquid, and I know my elk sausage never hit the grill.

2: The sausages comes "flavored". The sausages are not just the meat/fat and seasonings but was made with other ingredients. I think the elk sausage was maded with japlenos and cheese? They also sold a wild boar, buffalo and a pheasant sausage. The pheasant sausage came with mushrooms and other ingredients. They didn't have the pheasant when I was there so I was unable to sample it.

I think I will just stick with the burgers.

I stopped by the Shake Shack this afternoon for probably the last time before they close for the season. It was only my second visit, but I am already a devoted fan. The first time I just had a small vanilla custard. This time, I had a burger and a pumpkin concrete. Both very tasty, especially the concrete. Yum :wub:

I was with Sam and ewindels for lunch on Friday - had a Shack burger (single), fries (yum) and a pumpkin pie concrete.

The concrete rocked my world. The burger and fries were, as usual, stellar - but I swear I'm still bloated, two days later. Good LORD that was a lot of food

K, wondering if there's time for just one...more...visit...

With the closing date looming and the near perfect weather today, the line was murder, about 20 minutes to order and about 45 (!) for the food. But as it was so gorgeous out, it didn't seem to matter too much.

For all the talk of the indeed great burgers, no one has really mentioned the Shroom Burger. I had this today and it is f-ing excellent. They take a portabella mushroom, top it with cheese, bread it and then deep-fry the sucker. Toppings are the same as the Shackburger. I wish I'd discovered it sooner. I will be back for it this week.

"If it's me and your granny on bongos, then it's a Fall gig'' -- Mark E. Smith

Closing 11/8, reopening some time in the spring.

Yeah, you're the only one.

:biggrin:

What's wrong with salt, anyway? Salt is good.

with the closing date looming, i sent the husband to the shack for some custard and concrete today. made him stand in line, too. over 40 ppl but, hell, i was going to try this custard and concrete stuff everybody's been raving about!!!

smooth and creamy they were, good ingredients, but also very, very sweet and the chocolate custard could have used more chocolate. the pumpkin was pretty yummy, esp. after it melted. the spices stood out more

Alcohol is a misunderstood vitamin.

P.G. Wodehouse