• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Shake Shack

Fat Guy

I suppose I'm a creature of habit. Whenever I have business/people to see between midtown and downtown, Shake Shack is effectively a required stop. Yesterday's incessant rain meant no lines at about 2:45, and with the temporary tent set up in the park my eating experience was actually quite pleasurable.

Still nice to see they're doing a solid job here. I really like the food, though I can see why this place is polarizing. It is expensive and not quite revolutionary but they do what they do very well.

Had a Double Stack, a 'shroom burger and a normal patty, and a red velvet cake custard. Thoroughly enjoyed both, especially the firm pieces of cake in the custard that provided both flavor and texture (novel concept, I know), and went on my way.

• 1 month later...

credit to Matt Cerrone, Metsblog

"The Mets and ARAMARK have announced a partnership with Danny Meyer’s Union Square Hospitality Group (USHG), ‘to transport its culinary talent and expertise to Citi Field.’

According to a team press release:

“Among the dining choices USHG will offer at Citi Field are the enormously popular Blue Smoke and Shake Shack, as well as two new food concepts – a taquería and a Belgian fries stand.”

Additionally, the Sterling Club will feature several different dining options, including a casual cafe and market, in-seat service, a dining lounge, and a beer and win bar featuring specialty brews and an extensive selection of wines from around the world.

…this is great, but i will truly be impressed when i see Double Simcoe on tap…right, Johnny G…"

credit to Matt Cerrone, Metsblog

"The Mets and ARAMARK have announced a partnership with Danny Meyer’s Union Square Hospitality Group (USHG), ‘to transport its culinary talent and expertise to Citi Field.’

According to a team press release:

“Among the dining choices USHG will offer at Citi Field are the enormously popular Blue Smoke and Shake Shack, as well as two new food concepts – a taquería and a Belgian fries stand.”

Additionally, the Sterling Club will feature several different dining options, including a casual cafe and market, in-seat service, a dining lounge, and a beer and win bar featuring specialty brews and an extensive selection of wines from around the world.

…this is great, but i will truly be impressed when i see Double Simcoe on tap…right, Johnny G…"

I'm liking the new stadium already! :biggrin:

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Had a Double Stack, a 'shroom burger and a normal patty, and a red velvet cake custard.  Thoroughly enjoyed both, especially the firm pieces of cake in the custard that provided both flavor and texture (novel concept, I know), and went on my way.

All by yourself?? :blink::blink::blink:

I was told to go and try their 'shroom burger and frozen custard when visiting New York last month. I liked their burger and the custard was nice, but I couldn't finish the latter, as it was way too rich and way too much. And I hadn't eaten lunch, so I could save 'room' for the burger :D .

Cannot even imagine having that huge mushroom burger, patty, double stack and a custard :D

It's not as much food as it sounds like -- a Double Stack consists of a 'shroom and a patty. So I suspect Brian's meal was just that, plus a custard.

(Not that it's diet food, of course!)

I find it confusing that a Double Stack is smaller than a Shack Stack, what with being called "double". But if I'm remembering right the Shack Stack is a 'shroom and two patties.

Waits were 45 minutes the last two times I went (a Friday at 7, July 4th at 4) but well worth it. Though I'm sad the salted caramel custard is not among this month's flavors. Maybe I'll just order a caramel shake and salt it myself.

Cooking and writing and writing about cooking at the SIMMER blog

Pop culture commentary at Intrepid Media

• 3 years later...

Shake Shack recently opened in Westport Ct and I had a chance to sample a few items.... Honestly, meh. The shroom burger was crispy but way over priced at $6.50 for such a small sandwich. The fries were nothing better than what I could get from Orida's. If I want fries, I would go to Five Guys fiirst. The custard was good though, but I admit to my bias and snobbery after living in Milwaukee and have enjoyed my weights worth of Kopps custard.

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

You should have gotten the Shack burger.

Custard is very good dependent upon the flavor -- not sure where else you can get Midwestern style custard near NYC.

"I'll put anything in my mouth twice." -- Ulterior Epicure

• 4 months later...

Thanks. That's what I thought. I remember that was the case in the first Shake Shack because of the small kitchen area. With the new, larger ones it is too bad they aren't doing fresh cut so the quality of the fries matches the burgers and frozen custard.

Edit: I asked this question after reading Pete Wells Seven Burgers Go Up Against Shake Shack. I just realized this was a companion piece to his One Star review of the Shake Shack where he makes the same point about their french fries.

Edited by Holly Moore (log)

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter