• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Shake Shack

Fat Guy

If you really want to have your custard and a burger we allow individuals to order and pay for both at the register but you can pick up the custard after you eat your burger. Of course this only works if your order is not to go.

Went for lunch today, and for the first time in months and months of trying, my previously ignored requests for rare burgers (what kept me going? pride? self-righteousness? masochism?) were finally answered with a fantastically juicy but still on the well side of medium burger that nearly approximated the divine, slightly pink inside burgers they were serving the first couple weeks after the grand opening last summer. You give up some of the crispy sear for the pleasure, but man is it worth it. Beef this good should not be overcooked!

Also in evidence were some fantastic looking skinny french fries, which I sadly failed to try because I thought the krinkle-cut had been brought back. Please please please let these be a permanent change--they looked delicious!

When NOT to go to the Shake Shack?  Memorial Day, apparently. :hmmm:  I'd have thought that a sunny holiday when the park was FULL OF PEOPLE would be a good day for a Shack burger and an Arnold Palmer, and there was nothing on the website or on the voice mail about it being closed, so we went all the way down there to no avail.  Blue Smoke was ALSO closed, so we ended up having distinctly mediocre burgers at NY Burger Co.

K, totally unsatisfied. :angry: :angry: :angry:

I did EXACTLY the same thing!! I figured on such a beautiful day that there would be no way it was closed. We also ended up at NY Burger Co. I liked their burgers better when I ate there last summer. Somewhere along the way, they've taken a wrong turn. Cold mushrooms and onions on an overcooked burger. Oh well.

• 2 weeks later...

Before our BBQ quest today in Madison Square Park, Rachel and I had some shackburgers. It was actually our first experience at Shake Shack, and I feel bad we hadn't visited it earlier.

gallery_2_0_46527.jpg

gallery_2_0_82074.jpg

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

(reading above) They close for a street fair a block away, but are open during the BABBP? Well, I'm glad they were, since I hadn't been there before. It was a really good burger.

Later in the afternoon I wanted some ice cream. First I checked out the Blue Smoke dessert tent, but they only had bar cookies and cupcakes. "You have to go to the Shake Shack for ice cream," said the worker. (Last year they had really good ice cream at the stand.)

The only concrete they were offering was a "Strawberry Shortcake" (strawberries & shortbread cookies blended into vanilla ice cream, topped with real whipped cream) which was fine with me because I originally wanted a strawberry milkshake and they were only offering vanilla, chocolate, coffee, caramel and black & whites (for those who don't know a B&W is a vanilla milkshake with chocolate syrup, as opposed to a chocolate milkshake which is made with chocolate ice cream. Hmm, maybe later today I'll order both (if I can find someone to share with me) and compare).

We also had an Arnold Palmer, it was too sweet. Too much lemonade not enough unsweetened iced tea. Or, perhaps they're using sweetened iced tea? So far the only other place I've ever been to that knows what an Arnold Palmer is, is my parents golf club. I order it all the time, but I usually have to let the server or bartender know what it is.

Anyway, I don't think Jason had to wait on a line too long (at 11:45) and our burgers were delish. At 3:30 when I was going for the ice cream, the line was way longer, but just then someone directed the "shake and drink" (and concrete) customers to a second line, so that cut the wait considerably.

(reading above) They close for a street fair a block away, but are open during the BABBP? Well, I'm glad they were, since I hadn't been there before. It was a really good burger.

Later in the afternoon I wanted some ice cream. First I checked out the Blue Smoke dessert tent, but they only had bar cookies and cupcakes. "You have to go to the Shake Shack for ice cream," said the worker. (Last year they had really good ice cream at the stand.)

I'm guessing that the reason they're open during the BABBP this year is that both the Shack and the BBQ Block party are, well, associated with Danny Meyer. Just a thought.

Also, the reason the dessert stand offered ice cream (and root beer floats) last year was as a promotion for the then soon-to-be-opened Shake Shack.

I'll be on the root beer float line today either before or after I stuff my ass with barbeque...or both...:wub:

K

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

• 4 weeks later...

Here's some images from the shake shack a few weeks ago. Line was long but moved fast. I actually didn't like the hot dogs at all. Much prefer the papaya king style. The burger was good - but I was also underwelmed. Good for a fast food burger but I don't think it can compete with the other greats of the city. Next time I will try to get it more rare.

~WBC

gallery_10642_600_25986.jpg

gallery_10642_600_21541.jpg

gallery_10642_600_20350.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just got some Shake Shack-related news in my inbox.

In the custard department, they are adding a "flavor of the day." It's going to be:

• Monday – Peanut Butter Ripple

• Tuesday – Strawberry

• Wednesday – Mocha Nut Fudge

• Thursday – Concrete Jungle

• Friday – Coconut Chocolate Chip

• Saturday – Blackberry

• Sunday – Caramel Peach

Evening hours are now extended to 11:00 PM.

Four new sausages have been added to the menu:

• Spicy Buffalo Brat – buffalo, jalapeño, and cheddar

• Usinger’s Bratwurst – Milwaukee-style pork sausage

• Windy Wurst – Milwaukee brat in Chicago clothing (10 toppings on a poppy bun)

• Bird Dog – smoked chicken and apple sausage

More info as always at shakeshacknyc.com

--

I found the answer to my question - hot fudge, bananas and peanut butter. I am sure it is excellent, even if thename isn't entirely appealing. It sounds a little too reminiscent of concrete shoes. But then it could fit into the "death by chocolate" realm of dessert titles. :wink:

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

• 1 month later...

Working on 27th street today I was happy to be able to go there for lunch today.. I went at 11:15 to ensure quick service.. For some reason I just find the place so, so.. Dont like the fries, the burger is good, but no better then most peoples backyards.. Would i wait more the 10 minutes for a burger, not a shot..

Anyway, Danny Meyer has proven again he runs Madison Square Park.. He has a huge TV Screen with stadium seating for people to watch the US Open... He has a Tabla and a Blue Smoke Stand, as well as other things.. He is really such a great addition to what was once a disgusting area.. And if he can make money too, well then good for him..

Edited by Daniel (log)

Anyway, Danny Meyer has proven again he runs Madison Square Park.. He has a huge TV Screen with stadium seating for people to watch the US Open... He has a Tabla and a Blue Smoke Stand, as well as other things.. He is really such a great addition to what was once a disgusting area.. And if he can make money too, well then good for him..

i'm pretty sure the screen and seating are AMEX sponsored things..

While I'm pretty much addicted to the burgers, I'll agree, the fries pretty much suck. They remind me of Burger King’s improved fries of 10 or so years ago. An odd, unnatural taste and a strange processed crispness. They seem overworked, heavy and not exactly tasty.

Yea, I don't understand the fries situation there. Making excellent fries isn't exactly rocket science. And indeed, when Shake Shack ran out of their usual crinkle fries at one point, I seem to recall several people here declaring that they had finally solved the fries issue -- only to find out later that it was merely an emergency replacement and they were going back to the old fries.

As for the burgers, whether or not one likes them I suppose will depend on individual burger preferences. People who prefer thick steakhouse-style burgers are not likely to enjoy Shake Shack's style. Likewise, those who insist on rare-in-the-middle burgers may not like Shake Shack's style either, as their style emphasizes the crust and it's impossible to have both a good crust and a rare middle on a burger this thin. Personally, I've been finding thick steakhouse burgers disappointing (except Peter Luger) and find Shake Shack's to be the beefiest game in down in terms of flavor. Buit I can see how someone with different priorities would go a different way.

--

I'm going to double check this, but my understanding is that the Shake Shack is owned by the Madison Square Park Conservancy, a not-for-profit organization. Therefore, whatever revenue the Shake Shack generates (after expenses) for the Conservancy must be used exclusively for the Conservancy's purposes. Some of that may of course involve paying for Conservancy expenses not directly related to park maintenance. For example, if the Conservancy has any administrative employees, they might be paid in part out of revenue generated by the Shake Shack. Perhaps the Shake Shack was financed with a bank loan -- that loan would have to be serviced. You get the idea. Danny Meyer's Union Square Hospitality Group (USHG) is the operator of the Shake Shack. I don't know if the USHG receives a management fee or not -- I assume not, but it would certainly be reasonable for the operator to be paid a fee or percentage.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I would assume Danny Meyer's involvment in this is as a profit intending business. That of course, is within the greater context of his, and the USHG's involvement in Madison Square. It's been my understanding that they've plowed considerable money into improving the park. I'll guess they're a major supporter of the Conservancy. That park was a dump when Eleven Madison Park first arrived on the scene. Danny Meyer seems to get considerable credit for being good to the neighborhood that's supported his businesses, and that, in turn, has probably been another good business move. The USHG has played a good part in making NYC a better place to live and I wouldn't begrudge them from making a good profit.

The who tennis thing this weekend was sponsored by American Express. Blue Smoke and Tabla sold food out of stands. I don't know if it will happen again next weekend. The 12 oz. cups of Stella Artois at Tabla and Brooklyn Beer at Blue Smoke were different sizes which was amusing, but not enough to check out which was over or undersize. More annoying was that after buying your beer, you were hassled by park rangers about where you were standing when you drank it. The $3 kulfi mango ice pop was too soft to stay on the stick and had to be eaten with a spoon. It was also shot glass size and a very poor value compared to the custard on the other end of the park. The $7 pulled pork on a bun from shake shack and the even better (for my taste) braised short ribs with horseradish raita were far more interesting than Shackburgers for me. They were also pricier.

I don't like the fries and the burgers are good, but the draw for me is really being able to eat in the park. New York Burger opened a branch on Sixth Avenue near 21st Street. The burgers come with lettuce and good tomatoes and are thick enough to be at least pink in the middle. There's a choice of toppings although the standard lettuce and tomatoes and free raw red onion are just fine, especially with the choice of sauces at the free sauce bar. I recommend horseradish sauce or old fashioned ketchup or mustard. They can be mouthwatering burgers, but you'd have to carry them over a few blocks to eat them in the park. Add the sauce when you eat them or you're liable to have a very soggy burger, depending on sauce.

For a burger in a restaurant setting, I sitll like Balthazar.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

slkinsey,

If you like a thick burger try the Triple Shack Burger. Way too thick IMHO. I usually order a double Shack Burger, cheese fries and an Arnold Palmer.

What would be the closest comparable burger to Shake Shack's? White Mana? I can't think of any other fried burger I really like.

If you like a thick burger try the Triple Shack Burger.  Way too thick IMHO.  I usually order a double Shack Burger, cheese fries and an Arnold Palmer.

I've been finding lately that I prefer thin. I do like a Double Shack Burger from time to time, but am perhaps more likely to want two single shack burgers as I think the single really nails the ratio of burger to condiments to bun.

What would be the closest comparable burger to Shake Shack's? White Mana?  I can't think of any other fried burger I really like.

The main "competition" for this style of burger is the burger joint at Le Parker Meridien (it actually doesn't have a formal name of which I am aware, but is informally known as "the burger joint"). White Mana is really an entirely different style.

--

The main "competition" for this style of burger is the burger joint at Le Parker Meridien (it actually doesn't have a formal name of which I am aware, but is informally known as "the burger joint").  White Mana is really an entirely different style.

Actually, the name of the burger joint at Le Parker Meridien is "Burger Joint".

Who'da thunk?

gb

Slkinsey,

I agree with you in terms of the double to single burger.. After work I met my girlfriend who was eating a single burger and a chocolate shake.. The single does have a much better ratio.. Also that shake was excellent.

Slkinsey,

I think of the burger joint at the Parker Meridien's burgers as being a completely different style then Shake Shack's since it is "grilled" versus "fried". I do like the char of the burger joint burgers but I think the beef in Shake Shack's is much tastier.

George B,

No, it is "burger joint" (lower case) and the Parker Meridian is specified because there are at least two other unrelated "Burger Joints" in Manhattan.

I think of the burger joint at the Parker Meridien's burgers as being a completely different style then Shake Shack's since it is "grilled" versus "fried".  I do like the char of the burger joint burgers but I think the beef in Shake Shack's is much tastier.

I guess I was thinking of the size/shape of the burger rather than the cooking style. The burgers ar Shake Shack and the burger joint at Le Parker Meridien have more or less the same diameter and thickness. The burger joint is able to achieve a char with a medium rare inside most likely because heat transfer by radiation (grilling or broiling) is much less efficient than by conduction (frying). On the other hand, I find that grilled burgers tend to have more of a "burnt" quality to the char rather than that "maillardized beef drippings" flavor the best fried burgers have. This likely contributes to the overall beefier flavor of the burgers at Shake Shack, although I think Shake Shack is probably also using better beef, a better mix of beef cuts and a fresher grind.

. . . it is "burger joint" (lower case) and the Parker Meridian is specified because there are at least two other unrelated "Burger Joints" in Manhattan.

I'm not sure there is any "official" name. I don't recall seeing any signage to that effect there (although I may not be remembering correctly), and Le Parker Meridien's web site doesn't give it a name either -- although they do name the other associated restaurants (Seppi's and Norma's).

--