• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Shake Shack

Fat Guy

The shack is indeed open.  The lines are brutal, the burgers are still amazing, and the prices have been changed to round off nicely with tax.

Finally, I can eat burgers again...

Finally! And just in time, too. Friday is half day of school. Time to hit the shake shack! How are the prices? Higher or lower? I'd be surprised if it was the latter. ;)

I work at Shake Shack and let me firstly thank you all for being so excited for the return of what I think is the best burger in NY! :laugh: I hope you find the food to be worth the wait. It is a very exciting to be swamped with orders, look out the window and see that the rush will not let up for another hour. Our team must be doing something right!

I work at Shake Shack and let me firstly thank you all for being so excited for the return of what I think is the best burger in NY!  :laugh:  I hope you find the food to be worth the wait.  It is a very exciting to be swamped with orders, look out the window and see that the rush will not let up for another hour.  Our team must be doing something right!

Is there a line before noon and after 2:00 pm?

Cmon waiting 55 minutes for a burger,they are not that good

They are pretty darn good. Plus, the weather was warm for the first time this spring. I don't think folks really minded hanging out in the park in line. I'm sure this is the initial rush - people are excited for spring and excited that their favorite burger is back. Once we're in the middle of summer, lines will be much more manageable like last year.

Jennie Auster aka "GIT"

Gastronome in Training

They are pretty darn good.  Plus, the weather was warm for the first time this spring.  I don't think folks really minded hanging out in the park in line.  I'm sure this is the initial rush - people are excited for spring and excited that their favorite burger is back.  Once we're in the middle of summer, lines will be much more manageable like last year.

The shack burgers are really, really good. The only thing bad about them is one isn't enough but two are probably two much. Solution: get a shack burger and a chicago dog. I went yesterday. The line to order took no time -- it was the pickup line that was backed-up -- i think we ordered around 2 and got our food in about 20 minutes. When the weather is as nice as it was yesterday, it was like playing hookie from work (okay, it was hookie from work). Besides the initial rush of the first week, the other thing making it so crowded is the limited hours. I think when people know they can go after work (starting in May) lines will dissapate somewhat.

It looks like they are building bathrooms nearby as well.

"If it's me and your granny on bongos, then it's a Fall gig'' -- Mark E. Smith

It looks like they are building bathrooms nearby as well.

are you talking about the cinder block building structure going up nearby?? if so, i think that's the new artwork for the summertime. :biggrin:

i was. that's disappointing. they need bathrooms there.

"If it's me and your granny on bongos, then it's a Fall gig'' -- Mark E. Smith

Pft, I thought they were bathrooms too. I got there at around 12:30, and the line wasn't that bad. I ended up waiting 20~30 minutes before I sat down. The line was much worse as I glanced from the front. It was mostly people on lunch break. Weather was great, too. Not as great as yerterday, of course (75F!)

I don't think I've seen this mentioned, but how early are they open? I'm down the street, and figured I'd plan my attack by showing up as soon as they're ready.

I'll consider my burgers "brunch," having not had breakfast.

I think they open at 11am.

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Jim Harrison from "Off to the Side"

They're open from 11-4 during April. I was just in NYC this week with my husband and it was the first meal we had in town. Tuesday, with the weather so nice, it was great! We had shack burgers, fries, concrete and shake. Arriving at noon, our wait was 30 minutes to order, but only 10 to pick up. It definitely was a kick off to a fun trip :)

dahlsk

They're open from 11-4 during April.  I was just in NYC this week with my husband and it was the first meal we had in town.  Tuesday, with the weather so nice, it was great!  We had shack burgers, fries, concrete and shake.  Arriving at noon, our wait was 30 minutes to order, but only 10 to pick up.  It definitely was a kick off to a fun trip :)

dahlsk

Fantastic. I'll have to plan for tomorrow, I think, since any attempt now at trying to get burgers will result in me extending my lunch break far beyond what it should be. :)

Stopped by at 11 am today... beautiful sunshine, was fourth in line, so 4 minute wait.

Didn't have the shake, but had the chicago style dog, fries and a soda. The dog was good, real poppy seed bun and vienna hotdog, with pickles, lettuce, tomato, bright green relish, sport peppers and celery salt. Good, but not as good as the gold coast dogs I recall from Chicago.

All that said, worth the stop, worth the wait in line... maybe next time I'll try the burgers...

gb

There are lots of things wer are trying to do to make the lines at the shack more reasonable. If you come from 11-11:30 on weekends there is practically no wait but afterwards it gets a bit loony. We always try to explain that it is not the cashiers or ordering that is the problem rather the fact that each burger is made to order and the grill is just a small to medium sized flattop. We also butter and toast all the buns on the same grill so that takes up valuable burger space. There is talk about a smaller flattop coming in soon strictly for bun toasting and that may speed things up. We may also be starting a custard only line but this is still just an idea.

This past Sunday we were short staffed and everything seemed to flow like silk as far as getting orders out steadily if not lightning quick. It is amazing to look out of the window and ALWAYS see a line that goes to the corner of 23rd street...it's a real rush!

I waited an hour in line on Saturday - around 2pm. It was a beutiful day so I actually enjoyed the wait. Double Shack Burger was outstanding. I recalled the

fries being so-so and ended up being pleasantly surprised although our order of cheese on the "cheese fries" had coagulated by the time our food was ready. Choc Shake was over mixed and had too much milk, Arnie Palmer was delish. $16 was a steep price tag but I def overindulged.

I had a few bites of a their tasty fried Portobello Burger - good stuff.

"Your girlfriend is a vegetarian, tell her she should eat rabbit...they're vegetarians too" Ali

Hit the Shack today about 1:45 only to see a pretty huge line. But hats off to the staff, it moved pretty fast. I made it to the counter in about 15 minutes, then waited a few more minutes for my cheeseburger, fries & shake. Very satisfying lunch.

The nearby construction adds a certain dust bowl quality to the seating area. I took my goods to a bench in the park proper.

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;

but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"

• 4 weeks later...

Now that it's May 16, does anyone know how late in the evening they're open? Neither their phone message nor their website is updated and I want to eat dinner there after work tonight.

K

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous