• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Shake Shack

Fat Guy

ah...the butter on the bun could do it..

(if the burger is sufficiently hot when the bun with butter is placed over it...the butter would instantly melt into the burger creating that butter burger crispness)

As I recall, the butter was already melted into the bun.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Well, butter = fat. We know that the patties are sirloin and brisket, presumably with a relatively healthy (or unhealthy, depending on your viewpoint) amount of fat. So maybe that's what makes it seem like a butter burger.

Christopher

I hacked the Shake Shack burger last year - I don't have a meat grinder so I feverishly chopped the sirloin and brisket small enough so it would at least stay together. I think beef ground up just then makes most of the difference, like the difference between fresh ground pepper and the pre-ground powder... You're not going to have it medium rare because then the brisket is just too tough on the rare side, so the fat and connective tissue dissolving must also help the flavor... anyway, it's not rocket science and I do suggest you try it. Now I'm nearly swearing off the ground beef at the market because it just seems to lose most of it's flavor and if anything inherits the flavor of the foam. I'll be grinding fresh if I can from now on!

Just go for an afternoon snack if you're in the area; the burgers are small and relatively cheap anyway.  The have a kiddie size custard that's more than adequate for sampling the flavor of the day.  Makes a wonderful second lunch or pre-dinner.

They have removed the kiddie size from the menu for this season, although I'm sure you could probably get it if you asked nicely.

"I'll put anything in my mouth twice." -- Ulterior Epicure

Just go for an afternoon snack if you're in the area; the burgers are small and relatively cheap anyway.  The have a kiddie size custard that's more than adequate for sampling the flavor of the day.  Makes a wonderful second lunch or pre-dinner.

They have removed the kiddie size from the menu for this season, although I'm sure you could probably get it if you asked nicely.

there's always the pooch-ini.

there's always the pooch-ini.

Better remove the dog biscuit first....or not as is your wont.

I think beef ground up just then makes most of the difference, like the difference between fresh ground pepper and the pre-ground powder.

Oh, it's an even larger difference than that, IMO.

Several years ago, Fat Guy and I did a hamburger experiment where we were trying out different fat contents and different mixtures of beef cuts. We ground everything to order in my meat grinder. We also had bought one package of high-quality preground beef that had recently come out of the grinder as a "control." When we tried a bite of that burger, after having tried small bites of maybe a dozen different burger iterations we had ground to order, we both immediately spit it out and started laughing. Once we were used to the flavor of the fresh ground beef, something tasted horribly off about the preground stuff. It was a familiar taste (the taste of oxidation) that ordinarily wouldn't have bothered us. But the contrast was striking.

--

Fortunately I live a few blocks from the most highly discounted beef in the city so I can support the habit. Can't imagine buying cuts from Whole Foods only to pulverize them.

Needles to say I'm a convert and if I see one of those cheap hand-crank clip on to your tabletop jobs, I'm all over it...

Where's Mr. Cutlets when you need him?

• 3 weeks later...
Well, butter = fat.  We know that the patties are sirloin and brisket, presumably with a relatively healthy (or unhealthy, depending on your viewpoint) amount of fat.  So maybe that's what makes it seem like a butter burger.

Christopher

This just in from Grub Street, Kyle Dureau Wants Shake Shack to Be Open 24/7 As Much As You Do:

What’s the secret of the Shack Burger?

It’s brisket and sirloin and fat that’s ground all together. We season it with salt and pepper. We grill the potato buns with butter and toast them on the inside, which gives them a nice crispiness. And we have a homemade mayonnaise Shack sauce. They add some spices and a little chipotle and ketchup and some seasonings.

Hmmm, what exactly does he mean by "fat"? I'm assuming they're adding additional fat to the brisket and sirloin? Hmmmm.

What’s on the horizon?

I heard they might be opening somewhere in Chicago or Central Park or maybe downtown. I heard they're looking at properties to open up another one. This year they're going to stay open all year; that's the rumor going around.

Year-round Shack?

• 2 months later...

Well THIS just in from Grub Street -

http://nymag.com/daily/food/2007/08/hark_n...ea_stadium.html

Yeah - read the URL. New Shake shack to open at Shea Stadium.

[edit] it will be at the new Citi Field. I'm pretty sure 20 years of conditioning will have me calling it Shea for the remainder of my years, however.

First off, this is a natural to me. Most baseball stadiums are the antithesis to culinary destinations, BUT since Camden Yards and most since, i.e. AT&T, Petco, Citizen's Bank, they're sure to feature outposts of their local specialities. They also now have loads of options in terms of draft beers.

What sucks is, the overall operation of the park is Sysco, who is somehow capable of overcooking, undercooking, making stale and otherwise mishandling even the most basic items. Their staff is also comicly slow and just gets shit wrong constantly. So I do hope that the ratio of Sysco-operated crapola will decrease greatly compared to the franchised outposts.

It's actually a good opportunity for anyone who wants to do quality takeout food; you will ALWAYS get customers because the lines are so long elsewhere, so people are just hungry and will eat anything, at which point you really must suck if even then you can't do good business... I mean look at the crap people are actually standing online waiting for....

Funniest thing about this - the baseball schedule will exactly mirror the seasonal schedule of the Madison Park shack. So now they still don't have to even think about the shack for 4 months out of the year.

Edited by raji (log)

As a Mets fan (and Saturday plan ticket holder), I saw this and was VERY excited. Just one more reason to go to the park. However, given the general attitude and aptitude of most stadium workers, I don't hold out high hopes that they will be able to keep the quality of SS standards. And I can only imagine what the lines will be like...

• 3 weeks later...

According to Grub Street, DM said this about a New Shake Shack at Shea: "We think it’s a great idea and would love to do it. If you can help us figure out how to make that deal happen, Shack burgers are on the house!"

Also, Aramark denies that Shake Shack is in the works for Citi Field.

In other news, Pat LaFrieda's famous ground-beef mixture will soon be sold at restaurant Market Table. And that meat will be very close in flavor to the burgers he supplies to Shake Shack.

And they're also added some new wurst options to the menu and some sort of vitamin shake concoction:

WISCONSIN BRATWURST

Usinger’s veal and pork bratwurst

simmered in beer and onions. Served

with spicy German mustard $4.75

SHEBOYGAN BRAT

Usinger’s veal and pork bratwurst

simmered in beer and onions. Served with

spicy German mustard, ketchup, onion

and pickle $4.75

VITAMIN CREAMSICLE SHAKE

throw away your vitamin jar and eat more

custard. Vanilla shake blended with David

Kirsch Vitamin-Mineral Orange Super Juice

Edited by kathryn (log)

interesting...heading North from Chicago.

Sheboygan is in the Wisconsin/Illinois border and is close to midway between Milwaukee and Chicago (it's close to O'Hare). the "Wisconsin Bratwurst" listed is a Milwaukee brat while the "Sheboygan Bratwurst" is a cross between the Chicago hot dogs already sold at Shake Shack and a Milwaukee Brat. Usinger's is located in Milwaukee.

• 4 weeks later...

Shacktoberfest coming up. From the PR department:

. . . . Shake Shack’s annual Shacktoberfest celebration, a nine-day long affair that runs from Friday, October 5th, to Sunday, October 14th.  In the spirit of the Bavarian festival, Shake Shack will feature special Shacktoberfest offerings in addition to its regular menu.

Shacktoberfest highlights include:

* Live music with accordionist Al Zimmermann playing from 1:00 – 2:30 PM and 5:30 – 7:30 PM on Friday, 10/5, to toast the beginning of the celebration.

* A selection of Usinger’s brats and sausages – Andouille with red pepper relish, Stuttgarter Knackwurst with cranberry horseradish relish and Italian sausage with pumpkin mostarda.

* A rotating list of Concretes in flavors such as Black Forest, German Chocolate, Apple Strudel and Sachertorte.

* An expanded beverage menu showcasing German-style beers ($4 each) from artisanal American breweries (Brooklyn Brewery Oktoberfest, Otter Creek Oktoberfest, Weyerbacher AutumnFest, Smuttynose Pumpkin Ale and Victory Prima Pils).     

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

interesting...heading North from Chicago.

Sheboygan is in the Wisconsin/Illinois border and is close to midway between Milwaukee and Chicago (it's close to O'Hare).  the "Wisconsin Bratwurst" listed is a Milwaukee brat while the "Sheboygan Bratwurst" is a cross between the Chicago hot dogs already sold at Shake Shack and a Milwaukee Brat.  Usinger's is located in Milwaukee.

I think the Usinger's stuff is great, although I find myself still drawn more to the Shack burger.

My boyfriend, on the other hand, grew up near Milwaukee, and rolled his eyes at my excitement.

Shacktoberfest, or whatever they're calling it, was in full swing this weekend at Shake Shack. I stopped by for some custard, a Shack Burger, and a beer--enjoyable as always--and saw lots of people trying the special sausages (those mentioned above by kathryn and a couple others) and condiments. All of them looked rather tasty. Lines on Sunday were rather long all afternoon, due in large part to the obscenely warm autumn weather. It seriously looked like a day in July more than it did a day in October.

How long is long (re: the line)?  I will be in town Sat-Wed and am thinking this could be a fun spot for lunch with my parents on Sunday.

Could be ten minutes, could be forty five. If the weather is nice, more like 45 minutes. They have a web cam on their site, too.

Don't forget that everything is cooked to order, so you have to wait a little longer while they actually make your food.

Go on a weekday at an off-hour and you'll be fine. On a nice weekend afternoon like this past Sunday, I waited probably 30 minutes. Didn't have anything else to do so it was fine, but if you're crunched for time it's probably not worth it.

• 4 weeks later...

Rumors of a year-round Shake Shack:

There is truth to the rumor. We will be staying open throughout the winter, but we'll be closing around the holidays and through the New Year this year. We'll re-open shortly after that.

The heat lamps are being sorted out, so while it looks extremely likely, it's not 100% certain yet. Our PR Department is planning a release soon to give some details about what we're doing. I'd prefer to wait until we release that to give any other specific details.

omigod this is wonderful news!!!!!

i always feel i should be employed as a shake shack pr as have pointed so many food writers/luminaries in that direction...well they might have been heading in that direction anyhow, but my irrational enthusiasm was flowing. it always does when i think about the shack cheeseburger. that piece of perfection burger-wise.

i do have a second favorite burger in all the world, but its on the opposite coast. and i mean i live in europe! regardless of where i am at any given moment, though...i'm a shake shack girl through and through, and to think that i won't have to wait til summer....i can enjoy the splendour during the cold months when a burger just tastes so good. brrrrr i can hardly wait. bravo all!

marlena

Marlena the spieler

www.marlenaspieler.com

• 4 months later...
It sounds like there is a second (third if you count the CitiField rumors) Shake Shack location in the works on the UWS according to Eater.com this morning.

Yep, here are the details:

SHAKE SHACK This summer a branch of the burger stand in Madison Square Park will open on the Upper West Side, in the former Jacques-Imo’s. “I can’t think of a better location, in a family neighborhood, across from a park and the Museum of Natural History,” said Danny Meyer, whose company owns it: 366 Columbus Avenue (77th Street).

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com