• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

OBF 2004

Rich Pawlak

Just returned form 4 great days in Portland, OR, to attend the Oregon Brewers Festival, Jul 23-25, the best run beer fest I've ever attended. Forget that everyone in Portland in unbelievbably friendly and helpful and welcoming, and that the setting is charmingly beautiful and clean, this year's OBF took place in 103 degree heat, as an outrageous heat wave hit the PNW. But not a scintilla of friendliness was lost, and the beers I sampled were all top notch, with some unusual offerings, from 72 different craft brewers. I'll post TNs shortly, as I sort through my notes and receipts, but, for now, some pics of the OBF, and a visit to the hop-strewn Bridgeport Brewery and Brewpub, as well as some of the, ah, colorful native artwork in town (well one example for now):

i10414.jpg

The welcoming sign, map and menu

i10415.jpg

The early crowd on Friday; the total attendance topped 80, 000 over 3 days

i10416.jpg

i10417.jpg

i10418.jpg

One of the two massive beverage tents

i10419.jpg

The Bridgeport Brewpub

i10420.jpg

The Bridgeport brewpub menu; ironically, our bartender during our visit had just moved there from the Philly area; small world.

i10421.jpg

i10422.jpg

i10423.jpg

i10424.jpg

Yes, those are hops, draped everywhere.

i10425.jpg

i10426.jpg

The local, ah, art scene. This thing seems to be known as "Art Car".

More to come, including a visit to Edgefield, the Mcmenamin-owned country resort that used to be a mental hospital, including its homages to Jerry Garcia no less.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

On my way to the airport, I stopped in Troutdale, OR to visiting McMenamins Edgefield, a 100-room resort fashioned from the buildings and grounds that once held a "poor farm" a mental hospital, and other facilities on its 38 acre spread. Now it is a full fledged resort, with a brewery, distillery, winery, 2 restaurants, 5 pubs, a movie theatre and 18 hold golf course, among other diversions. At the mouth of the Columbia River Gorge, and in view of Mt Hood, it is a funky resort with an old hippie vibe.

i10427.jpg

The brewery at Edgefield, the largest in the McMenamins empire (and they call their group of brewpubs and hotels "The Empire" on posters and calendars!)

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large

I'll second the huzzah for the Oregon Brewer's Festival. I was blown away that there was not a bad beer I tried. So many that if I hadn't taken pictures I wouldn't remember any of them. A great selection of styles, served at the correct temperature, friendly folks, and plenty of water, what more can you ask for? Well, actually, I could ask for a smaller "taste" size. $2 got you a seven ounce taste, which is huge! Taste five beers and you've consumed a liter... Still, I realize that a smaller pour would have slowed down the pourers, so I can see why they don't do it. A very well run festival.

Walt

Walt Nissen -- Livermore, CA

More from OBF 2004, wandering around Edgefield resort:

i10431.jpg

The entrance to the Little Red Shed, maybe the smallest pub I've ever entered.

i10432.jpg

Just a few tables and chairs here, in what used to be the incinerator for the property.

i10433.jpg

The Little Red Shed is in there somewhere.....

i10434.jpg

The bar and bartender at the Little Red Shed

i10644.jpg

Then you wander a bit further and find "Jerry's Ice House"

i10539.jpg

Ive never seen so much Grateful Dead memoribilia in one place

i10540.jpg

i10541.jpg

It's pretty dense.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large

They even celebrate the late Grateful Dead guitarist's birthday every year, and have memorialized his image in bronze:

i10662.jpg

i10661.jpg

Staffers there told me that on Garcia's birthday, people fill the bronze statue with candles and hemp beads and such and do a drum circle there. Wild.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large

There is also a distillery at Edgefield, with its own unique tavern; they distill not only whiskies but eau de vie and gin and rum:

i10651.jpg

i10649.jpg

i10650.jpg

the Distillery Bar, which also acts as a clubhouse for the golf course. The pipework is purely ornamental.

i10647.jpg

the huge pot belly stove at the Distillery Bar

i10645.jpg

Lighting a ceegar at the always available flame there. Clever.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large