• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gina's Panificio in Montclair

emilymarie

Got a birthday cake for my mother last night from Gina's Panificio on Walnut Street in Montclair. It was on the pricey side--$42 for an 8-inch cake--but a tasty cake that was eons better than anything I usually pick up at any number of local bakeries. FYI, I was told the 9-inch cake is $49 and change.

We got a yellow cake with chocolate mousse filling and ganache as a frosting substitute. It was 3 layers. Overall, the chocolate mousse and ganache were a bit too sweet for me, but it was definitely a cake of high quality--nice firm-textured cake, dense mousse, and real ganache. Perhaps it would have improved had we let it come closer to room temperature--it was late. They describe themselves as an artisan bakery, but I don't know anything else about the place.

Has anyone been? Opinions? Are there any other bakeries in the area with good, homemade cakes and pastries?

:rolleyes:

"After all, these are supposed to be gutsy spuds, not white tablecloth social climbers."

I always buy bread from there or from Il Forno on Fullerton Ave. in Montclair.Both excellent places. Have had Gina's fruit pies which I can highly recommend. This is an interesting up and coming area of Montclair. Corso 98, a BYO Italian restaurant on the next block is one of my favorites.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Thanks for the tip on Il Forno.

I've heard lots of good things about Corso 98, which is on my list of places to try (after finally making it to Trattoria Fresco this past weekend). I only knew the area as home to PAWS, where I adopted my cat. :smile:

Will go back to Gina's for bread and muffins. Yum!

"After all, these are supposed to be gutsy spuds, not white tablecloth social climbers."

I always buy bread from there or from Il Forno on Fullerton Ave. in Montclair.

Il Forno also sells bread and foccacia from its bakery location. That's 199 Bellevue Avenue in Upper Montclair, about a block east of Valley Road.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

I always buy bread from there or from Il Forno on Fullerton Ave. in Montclair.

Il Forno also sells bread and foccacia from its bakery location. That's 199 Bellevue Avenue in Upper Montclair, about a block east of Valley Road.

Il Forno in Upper Montclair also has fabulous cheeses, hard salami, cookies, and marinated vegetables.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

I must work too late to get to Il Forno during the week. It seems that every time I pass by the U. Montclair outpost, it's closed. Will definitely have to make a visit to both locations, esp. since the one is so close to home. thanks!

Gina's was originally owned by a "Gina" and her partner/baker was Masi now owner of Il Forno. I believe that sometime after Masi left to open his own operation, Gina sold out. In any event I don't think that Gina's breads compare with Il Forno's. Il Forno is true artisan bread and Gina's seems to have evolved into high end commercial product. For truly excellent whole grain breads I love the Montclair Bread Co which is right across the street from Gina's. This is different bread altogether and as unique in it's own right as Il Forno.

For truly excellent whole grain breads I love the Montclair Bread Co which is right across the street from Gina's. This is different bread altogether and as unique in it's own right as Il Forno.

I believe the Montclair Bread Company's products are made from organic ingredients, as well.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo