• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Speaking of oysters

Does anybody know of a fish market that has them as fresh as you get in restaurants?

"Last week Uncle Vinnie came over from Sicily and we took him to the Olive Garden. The next day the family car exploded."

--Nick DePaolo

Harbor Fish Market in Portland had Damariscottas (the best) for $1.20, Winterpoints @ $1.10, Spinney Creeks for 0.95, and Pepperel Cove (PEI) for 0.90 each. Price is ten cents less if over one dozen purchased and yes, they ship. The PEI's have been out of the water the longest. Dams are the ultimate oyster.

Littlenecks and countnecks were 0.60ea, a dime less if over a dozen. Avoid ones that appear to be mating with the mahogany clams, the flesh isn't as firm or sweet.

I was in there yesterday and these prices are good until tonight. Harbor Fish products are fresher than restaurant fare so start driving, wherever you are...

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

:blink: Where are you located?? im in ct. and can tell you of a few good fish markets. :wink:

Thanks, but I'm north of Boston.

"Last week Uncle Vinnie came over from Sicily and we took him to the Olive Garden. The next day the family car exploded."

--Nick DePaolo

• 2 weeks later...

David's Fish Market in Salisbury, MA, is a great source of very fresh clams, both hardshell and soft. Their oysters are good as well, but they seem more interested in uniformity than local varieties. The Fish Tail chain in Westford and (Acton?) MA has surprisingly good oysters from various locales, again no particular focus on natives. Clams are better at David's.

On Vinalhaven recently I had super oysters from North Haven Island. Maybe I'll try that place in Portland, see if the Damariscottas are similar. (thank you johnnyd that's a great posting!) These were smallish and round but quite plump inside, very fresh and intense. Best I've had in many years.

I ran an oyster bar in Los Angeles (!) for several years and I can tell you that restaurant oysters aren't always that fresh. They come in fine, but they're expensive, and all but the fussiest operators will keep them around till they open up of their own accord. With luck, skill and timing, they'll make it into a stuffing or stew before they disappoint anyone on the half shell, but restaurant owners HATE to throw things out.

You're best bet is always to cultivate a sincere, honest relationship with a local fishmonger (i.e., spend a lot of money there frequently).

--L. Rap

Blog and recipes at: Eating Away

Let the lamp affix its beam.

The only emperor is the emperor of ice-cream.

--Wallace Stevens

Wow! David's is my local fish market and I have bought good clams there. They're good about letting you know what day they come in so you get the freshest. Of course David's is good for many things and the only place my brother-inn-law will buy fish. Somehow oysters I get in restaurants always seem to have more liquid, but maybe I should David's again.

--Nick DePaolo

Hi bobmac, I was in my local Lobster Tail (there's one very near where I work in Westford; a second branch of the chain is in No. Andover and I guess they're going into Windham, NH) and thought to check out the oysters. They sell very picturesque bluepoints from the Chesapeake. They are large and look good and in the past I have found them to be restaurant quality (a nice clue is they never seem to have a whole lot on hand on any given day).

Though as a New Englander I hate buying oysters from any state that has been in the world series during my adult life, I have to appreciate the consistency and size from the fishmonger's perspective.

I don't think bluepoints are anything special but these are good examples of the genre. I'll have to ask at David's where their oysters come from. I don't hesitate to buy them (or anything else) there, but they're a little inconsistent in that particular department. I've had some excellent ones, and some a little tired and dried out.

--L. Rap

--Wallace Stevens

I got some excellent ones at David's yesterday.

I got turned off Lobster Tail when they were selling "Cape scallops" long after another store told me the Cape scallop season had ended.

Edited by bobmac (log)

--Nick DePaolo

I got curious & bought a couple oysters at David's too, along with some countnecks. The oysters were from PEI, according to Mary the Seafood Elf. I have to admit they sat in my fridge for two nights running :shock: , but when I had them they were both good and juicy. One was a bit briny - a little too much oyster sweat. The clams were terrific, as always.

Sorry about your experience at the Lobster Tail. I think I do know what you mean about the cape scallops. In season very late October only and excellent though I think $24 or so a pound. I work close by and picked some up early on that were sweet as candy, then bought more when the priced dropped to maybe $16 and they were worthless; possibly frozen.

--Wallace Stevens

Guys,

Get your clams now then hold off for a week or two: the unusual rain run-off from Hurricane Charley remnant has prompted our local Dept. Marine Resources to close certain areas for shellfish harvesting. Not a help to harvesters already hit with sporadic red-tide closures.

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

I tried David's again and was very pleased.

Edited by bobmac (log)

--Nick DePaolo