• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Goat Topic: Tips & Techniques

RossyW

I only have had  kid stuffed with  parsley butter and slow roasted. I know it is a old Swedish recipe but we dont eat  goat here anymore.  North Sweden used to eat alot of  goat because they are  easier kept. 

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

I found the recipe I made year-before-last  for a potluck on Easter Sunday.  Chivo Guisado.

This is a very good stew - savory, not spicy but  one can add any number of condiments to the stew, traditionally served over rice. 

I made several "sideboys" to set out around the cazeula in which I served the stew.  Chopped avocado, green onions, stewed black beans, mango salsa, toasted chopped peanuts. 

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I found the recipe I made year-before-last  for a potluck on Easter Sunday.  Chivo Guisado.

This is a very good stew - savory, not spicy but  one can add any number of condiments to the stew, traditionally served over rice. 

I made several "sideboys" to set out around the cazeula in which I served the stew.  Chopped avocado, green onions, stewed black beans, mango salsa, toasted chopped peanuts.

Andie,

Your link made me wish we had access to goat up here on the Island. I know it's readily available at home so have saved the link. Thank you.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

To find goat meat, try meat markets in Greek, Armenian, Lebanese and Mexican neighborhoods as well as Jamaican, other Caribbean ethnic enclaves.

A friend who lives just outside Chicago has mentioned buying goat meat at a Carniceria - I think in Avondale if I recall correctly.  Possibly they had to order it but they did get it.

Check the Yellow Pages online or the books themselves. 

• Like 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I buy fresh goat at a Halal butcher in a nearby city , and some local supermarkets carry frozen goat stew pieces for the local  caribbean comunity.  

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

My Jamaican  bro-in-law  takes his mother to a local asian grocery store for goat. So any asian grocery store with a meat counter is also a potential source.  Something I have only heard from his mother , is that there is a difference between the meat of male and female goats.  She believes that male goats have a much stronger gamey smell and taste to their meat than the  females. After tasting her curried goat , I am willing to believe whatever she says about goat. :) 

• Like 1

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

Where can you buy goat in the USA?

There was a food truck called "The Jamaican Dutchy" that used to park on East 51st Street between Avenue of the Americas and Seventh Avenue.  Had goat curry once.  I don't remember much about the flavor.  It must not have been particularly memorable, apart from the number of bones.

Not high on my list, in any event.

OK let's get this back on track, so here's a pseudo-recipe for a Lahori-style goat karahi as I'd make it, one of my favorite uses for goat:

Par-cook some goat, until just about done. Simmered, sous-vided, whatever. Include onions, tomatoes, garlic, ginger, cumin while it's cooking if you wish. (this could take a few hours)

When the goat is nearly done, heat up a wok with a good glug of oil, add minced garlic, ginger, and sliced green chiles. Stir until very fragrant, remove the chiles and reserve them, add some cumin and turmeric, stir, and then add a bunch of fresh diced tomatoes (let's say at least 2 cups' worth). If you want it really hot, add red chile powder. Let that all cook down until the tomatoes have transformed into a thick sauce, periodically adding a splash of water if it threatens to dry out. Once the tomatoes have broken down, add the pre-cooked goat (without all the other stuff it was cooking in) and let it cook until done to your liking. Sprinkle in a spoonful or two of garam masala powder, julienned ginger, and reserved chiles. Top with fresh coriander leaves and serve with naan. (this whole process shouldn't take more than about 20-30 minutes)

Edited by Hassouni (log)
  • Like 2

Another vote here for curried goat, particularly the Carribean style(s).  My first choice for a roti filling.

My girlfriend, a picky eater if there ever was one, LOVES curried goat roti.  How I ever got her to try one, I'll never know....but I'm glad she did.

My go-to Asian grocery store carries frozen goat in their butcher counter.  They never have shoulder or the like, which I'm guessing would be best for the curried form.  Too bad - I'd like to take a crack at making it...

The folks I mentioned, my ex-next-door neighbors, a Mexican family originally from Durango that moved here in the early '80s, moved a few miles away to a small "ranch" and are now raising goats, both dairy and "meat" goats.  I phoned and they are presently packing for a trip to the ranch near Durango that they still own so don't have time to help me but Celia said as soon as they get back - in mid-August, she will translate some of her mother's "famous" goat recipes for me, including the "cabra enchaladas" - which I have tasted, made with stacked large corn tortillas in a large cazuela with green molé sauce  and also the recipe for a fantastic  Cabra Birria - which has about 20 ingredients and is hot enough to blow your socks off - I can only eat a little mixed with a lot of rice and tempered with sour cream but the flavor is so wonderful I am willing to suffer a bit for it.

I know that Celia uses a pressure cooker to initially cook the tougher cuts of meat with the bones because they add flavor.  They butcher only the does or "cabras" - "chivo" is the buck or male and the meat is often gamy after they have reached sexual maturity.  If they are going to raise a billy for meat, it is castrated while still immature, probably 3-4 months. 

Celia said that Mexconnect has some good authentic recipes, she has contributed some as has her sister, a "Molera" in Puebla.

• Like 1

Hello- Does anyone have a curried goat recipe?

"As life's pleasures go, food is second only to sex.Except for salami and eggs...Now that's better than sex, but only if the salami is thickly sliced"--Alan King (1927-2004)

Hello- Does anyone have a curried goat recipe?

I kind of gave you one, a karahi "curry" is probably the simplest and one of the most satisfying to make. But beyond that, almost all Subcontinental "lamb" dishes are really meant to be goat, so just swap the meat and cook longer, because in my experience goat takes foreeeeeeeeverrrr.

I kind of gave you one, a karahi "curry" is probably the simplest and one of the most satisfying to make. But beyond that, almost all Subcontinental "lamb" dishes are really meant to be goat, so just swap the meat and cook longer, because in my experience goat takes foreeeeeeeeverrrr.

Hello- Of course, I should have seen that. Thanks so much for the recipe and the insights. I bought some goat recently!

"As life's pleasures go, food is second only to sex.Except for salami and eggs...Now that's better than sex, but only if the salami is thickly sliced"--Alan King (1927-2004)

I've been very happy with this recipe from Simply Recipes: http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/jamaican_goat_curry/

I've also done indian lamb dishes, like Madhur Jaffrey's Rogan Josh and Saag Gosht, with goat meat.

Hello-Thanks for the link. That goat looked amazing!!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Some interesting goat suggestions from the Guardian today.

Sourcing information is London-centric but the general coverage universal, I think.

Thanks for the link. After reading it I picked up some goat meat in the grocery store but then put it down because the budget would not quite handle it this week. But soon, soon.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog