• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurant Magazine

I couldn't possibly comment!!

I would like to point out that the I didn't actually say the things that are attributed to me, although I did say something vaguely similar. I believe that's called journalism. I also did not say that Shaun Hill is a regular poster, as he quite plainly is not, but he does look in from time to time. I also didn't mention anything about Jay's postings, the journalist found those for himself. What I did point out to him was the Michelin Stars thread on the UK board and the Adam Balic thread as examples of the range and level of debate on this site. The journalist chose to focus on the Blumenthal thing. Ho hum.

Anyway, nice bit of exposure for the site to industry types. It'll be interesting to see who contributes as a result.

I hope that both the Michelin Stars thread and the Adam Balic thread were given as examples of high-brow intellectual debate. Or is the baring of my soul to you people now an example of type of hapless comical fools that frequent egullet?

:smile:

Cabrales,

Our magazine is not yet in every shop on every street corner, though rest assured we are working on it.

You can find Restaurant in WHSmiths nationwide, as well as Borders, and leading independent newsagents (especially in the main metropolitan areas).

If you are having trouble contact either ourselves (0161 606 0442), or our distributor (01483 211222). Simply shout 'I can't find your magazine!' down the phone, and we should be able to locate your nearest retailer and get back to you within 48 hours.

Happy reading.

Thom

It's all true... I admit to being the MD of Holden Media, organisers of the Northern Restaurant and Bar exhibition, the Northern Hospitality Awards and other Northern based events too numerous to mention.

I don't post here as frequently as I once did, but to hear me regularly rambling on about bollocks - much of it food and restaurant-related - in a bite-size fashion then add me on twitter as "thomhetheringto".

thom -- Thanks for your response  :)   If the relevant information is readily available and you are comfortable responding, please consider providing us with background on the reasons the Disclosure thread was discussed in the article, over Michelin Stars and A Balic.

Thom

This was by far the most satisfying issue of the magazine.

Quite apart from alowing Andy to wear his hat at the most jaunty of angles and puff up like a blow fish, the articles on The Perfect Bar, Doing Business, New Orleans and Cassoulet were well written and, shock horror, designed.  I am delighted to see that you had the last deisgner shot or worse still eat at GR's @ Claridges

Not sure what the point of pictures of people at launches serves but perhaps that is because I loathe parties

The article on Valentine's was perhaps one of the poorest pieces of writing in history and Joe Warwick should be cashiered in the centre of your office for crimes against computer keys.

7/10

S

"...I would like to point out that the I didn't actually say the things that are attributed to me, although I did say something vaguely similar. I believe that's called journalism..."

Au contraire, that's called putting words in peoples' mouths and journalists can get sidelined, sacked or sued for this. I haven't seen the article but whomever interviewed you for this should have taken good notes or better still, taped the interview with your consent of course - if s/he intended to quote you. It's really a no-brainer to get quotes right, and if there was any question - such as in the case of turning your quotes into prose, or paraphrasing - they could have confirmed any inferences with you first.

Maggie

I knew there was a reason I liked you.  you have such high standards and bring up the tone of the UK board

We should bear in mind however that this is Andy we are talking about and they probably found it hard to decipher his words through the alcoholic fug which follows him around like pigpen's dust cloud.  So we should as you Americans say, cut them some slack.

Much worse crime is the shocking repro on the magazine.  I am assuming they are doing it on the cheap with some 1970's flat bed

S

All,

Thank you for your feedback on Restaurant magazine. To round up a couple of points:

Cabrales: I think that the simple reason the more controversial/celeb led stories were used for the news piece is that they were more 'newsworthy'. People like celebs and gossip, and if that leads them into discovering the myriad joys of egullet then that can't be all bad.

The michelin piece was a very good indication of the level of debate on egullet, but as a news story - 'Inteligent people argue persuasively and eloquently about the relevance of Michelin, and the objectivity/subjectivity of guides generally' - it didn't have the same hook as the Heston-bashing.

As many of you guys here are loquaicious and opinionated (and I mean that as a compliment) I do suggest you write to Restaurant if you feel the article hasn't done egullet justice.

Simon: Thank you, thank you for your kind words. We do feel the magazine is settling into its niche (though not on to its laurels) and I'm pleased that you noticed. Out of interest, our designer has not been shot, or abandoned in Claridges; he's still here, producing fine, fine work.

On another note, your sharp comments in regard to Mr Warwicks writing ability are unfair. He is a good writer and a lovely chap. I can only assume that you were horribly bullied in your formative years by a 'shaving at 13' monster who was also called 'Joe Warwick'.

Andy, are you heeding Magnolias wise words? I shall tell Phil to warm up his layers...

It's all true... I admit to being the MD of Holden Media, organisers of the Northern Restaurant and Bar exhibition, the Northern Hospitality Awards and other Northern based events too numerous to mention.

I don't post here as frequently as I once did, but to hear me regularly rambling on about bollocks - much of it food and restaurant-related - in a bite-size fashion then add me on twitter as "thomhetheringto".

Simon,

Joe does indeed send his mother, and many other people, bouquets on a regular basis. Sadly, I fear your critique of his writing may have cursed you never to make his 'Interflora' list...

Equally, your 'flat-bed scanner' comment wounds me deeply. I can only assume that you are judging Restaurant by your own 'bodge-is-best' standards, and that gas powered Heath Robinson style flat bed scanners represent the limits of your publishing knowledge.

On the contrary Thom

I spend much of my day pouring over proofs and speaking to repro men who tell me it is "gonna cost yer" every time I tell them an image does not have enough contrast.

I suspect I am on few "interflora"lists unless they have suddenly started doing triffids or nailbombs.

Still none of this should detract from the fact that the magazine does seem to be finding its feet and was being passed around the table at the dinner last night.  If only to see how pompous Andy sounded.

S

Alas Simon, I feel you are more a Fotherington-Thomas than a Molesworth. You should just go back to your girly skipping and saying 'Hello clouds, hello sky'.

Chiz, chiz..

I am, at present, the biter bit. I've been waiting at my desk for the past few days for the editor of the Food Mag to assault me with a freebie packet of carluccios pasta,  for slagging off anything in her fine magazine in a public forum. Now that Restaurant magazine is about I shall have to be more circumspect.

Bloody journalists, eh.  Thankgod I had previously made my feelings about the feature in question known to the editorex herself.

Jay

• 2 weeks later...