• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Waterfront Dining in SF

GoodGrub

Further down, in a pinch, there's the aptly named Waterfront, which is a bit stuffy and over expensive for what it is, but you can't beat the views.

Does anyone know if the upstairs "Waterfront" still serve Asian fusion cuisine? (There were definately great views from the upstairs restaurant).

I ate there a long time ago when Bruce Hill (?) moved there from Oritalia but haven't been there or heard anything about it in quite awhile.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Those places are pretty, but they look so formal and hushed. They look like the kind of place where a dropped napkin would be the loudest thing in the room.

I prefer the dreamy opulence of Farallon--and the comfortable noise level--but maybe that's just me.

Farallon doesn't have a view, but it's a sumptuous and seductive room, and the food is great. I know it would fit the bill for romance. Big time. (Get oysters. Get champagne.) It's the first restaurant where I tried a Gruner Veltliner wine.

If you go to Farallon, absolutely request to be seated in the main dining room, NOT upstairs, where it is not romantic.

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

I guess romance and "comfortable noise level" are in the eye of the beholder.

They are, absolutely. But they look so formal that I'd feel self-concious there.

GoodGrub, another thought occurred to me. San Francisco is quite often socked in with fog. You won't be able to count on having a good view, even if you're on the water. And the litany of every coastal Californian: "Dress in layers."

We had looked at Fleur de Lys, and had mixed feelings. We will have done the French Laundry on our honeymoon, and will be finishing our SF stay at Gary Danko's. We both love the Hog Island Oyster Company. Actually reminds me a lot of an oyster house that I love in Boston. Given that I think we've settled on Boulevard for one night, and Gary Danko for another, I like the suggestions about some good Italian food. I've really enjoyed hearing everyone's recommendations, and exploring places. We are having a lot of fun figuring this out, so if there are any more thoughts or suggestions, keep them coming. I promise a full review of each place we hit when we get back and settled in.

I'd recommend Delfina for Italian in SF.

Second the rec for Delfina, as well. Get the rabbit if it's on the menu.

Edit just to reiterate and make it clear to grubguy that, with a few exceptions like Slanted Door above (which I personally do NOT second), we have long ago abandoned any idea of waterfront dining in our recommendations.

Edited by Squeat Mungry (log)

I'd recommend Delfina for Italian in SF.

Um, maybe it's better now, but Delfina is (check your web) loud, loud, loud.

He asked for romantic, but maybe we need a definition.

Whispering? Boinking on the table?

Delfina isn't quiet but it's not unreasonably loud, and it's hard to find better italian food in SF.

Those places are pretty, but they look so formal and hushed. They look like the kind of place where a dropped napkin would be the loudest thing in the room.

I prefer the dreamy opulence of Farallon--and the comfortable noise level--but maybe that's just me.

Um, maybe it's better now, but Delfina is (check your web) loud, loud, loud.

Tana, you crack me up! You're like the Goldilocks of acceptable noise levels! Any other good SF restaurants (besides Farallon) come in at "Mama Bear" status? :raz:

I'm just kidding you, of course, but on a serious note, is your assessment of the noise at Delfina based on before or after they expanded the dining room (or both)?

Cheers,

Squeat

Edit either for clarity or opacity.

Plus, I'm an ultra-idiot for not remembering that it was Baby Bear's shit that was so cool for G!

Edited by Squeat Mungry (log)

Hi everyone, thanks for the continued support. I think our definition of romantic is something quieter, with some cool atmosphere. Farralon and the Slanted Door both looked interesting. Given our other two SF destinations (Gary Danko & Boulevard), Farallon looked a little similar in cuisine-style, but we are thinking very hard about it. Is there one of the rooms in particular that anyone would recommend. Anyone have any other experience on the Slanted Door in either a positive or negative way? The third restaurant we had been looking at a lot is Crustacean, any thoughts.

Thanks for the info on Hog Island Oyster Co., too. We were thinking about it for lunch. Looks like a lot of fun.

Squeat, I ain't no Goldilocks. My comment about Delfina is based on things I read over the years, lots of which warned about the noise level. If that's changed due to a remodel, thanks for the heads up.

The Slanted Door wouldn't be my definition of a romantic restaurant, in general. The design is elegant, but in a stark/edgy kind of way. It's lots of glass (green glass) and metal. I don't find photos of it on their new website, which depict an old wooden door (evocative of other days?). I would be surprised if there is anything wooden at the new site, honestly. It's sleek, gleaming and tailored. I'd consider it a place for a power lunch or business dinner, but it doesn't evoke warmth and romance, unless perhaps modern minimalism gets you all hot. Great views, though.

I should give up, but I never know when to quit. I like the Slanted Door a lot, usually for lunch, but I wouldn't think it is romantic by anyone's definition- even those who don't remember the Vietnam War, much less WWII. Delfina serves very good food (although completely different from my beloved Acquerello). From what I remember it is hard to call it romantic, unless you find a modern industrial look and wood benches romantic. As far the decibel level, I don't think you'll be whispering sweet nothings in anyone's ear there. Maybe you should just call Gary Danko your romantic night, and then you can pick something interesting and unromantic. That would open you up to a whole bunch of other choices, and we could drive you crazy with more contradictory posts. :wacko:

Squeat, I ain't no Goldilocks. My comment about Delfina is based on things I read over the years, lots of which warned about the noise level. If that's changed due to a remodel, thanks for the heads up.

Tana, I really don't know. I asked because I was curious. I was never bothered by the noise level in the old configuration, but I haven't been back to Delfina since they almost doubled the area of the dining room.

And I hope you know I really was just goofing around with the Goldilocks comment. As it happens, I'm pretty sensitive to excessive noise in restaurants, myself. The original (Valencia Street) location of Slanted Door used to drive me crazy!

Cheers,

Squeat

Thanks again for everyone's help. Our tentative plan (largely due to the research spawned by your responses) is to schedule a somewhat earlier dinner (6:30) at Crustacean, and then adjourn for dessrt and drinks at the Jellyfish Bar at Farallon. Given that all of this is within walking distance of our hotel, it sounds both convenient, and like a lot of fun. Any opinions on this plan would be welcome and appreciated.

Depending on what you mean by walking distance--I mean, anything in SF is pretty much walking distance, or hiking distance, rather--, Crustacean and Farallon are hardly walking distance from one another--at least not in heels and a romantic dress.

I wouldn't go to Crustacean for the food either, nor would I Farallon.

Whoever called Fleur de Lys appropriate for WWII generation was right on.

I don't go to Boulevard for the food. Come to think of it, I don't go to Blvd. for anything.

I'm with Carlsbad on Slanted Door and Acquarello. The room at the Slanted Door is what I called the cafeteria look. A highly designed cafeteria at a modern art museum, I give you, but cafeteria nonetheless. I go there for lunch, but haven't been for dinner since the move.

Acquarello, on the other hand, is what I would call romantic. The room is often sparsely populated, somewhat dimly lit, and the staff is good at being invisible until you need them. And it does serve one of the best Italian in the city, if not the best. But then again I am a snob at French food but clueless at Italian, so what do I know.

Squeat, I am surprised you haven't brought up Quince. I think that room is romantic, and the food is lovely too.

Delfina is great fun, and one of my favorite casual places in the city. It can also be romantic, in the getting-lost-in-the-crowd kind of way.

I haven't tried Masa's after the new chef, has anyone? Never tried the dining room at the Ritz either since Ron S. started there. Anyone?

Edited by pim (log)

chez pim

not an arbiter of taste

then adjourn for dessrt and drinks at the Jellyfish Bar at Farallon. Given that all of this is within walking distance of our hotel, it sounds both convenient, and like a lot of fun.

I think you have the right idea. The bar at Farallon is great. A friend of mine considers their martinis among the best in SF. I went to Farallon for lunch one time, I tried one of his martinis and I thought it was very smooth, but then again, I am a drink dumbass. I wouldn't come back here for desserts though. Romantic? Not for me, but definitely funny. if your hotel is in Union Square this is an easy walk.

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW