• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edible Gum

caroline

As I write I am rolling some edible gum around in my mouth. It comes in small lumps about the size of rock sugar crystals. It softens to a slightly furry texture.

I bought it in an Indian store in Kentucky and it is labelled "Packed by Unique Fragrances" in Delhi.

I'd love some background? What does it come from? How is it used?

Rachel

Rachel Caroline Laudan

you're welcome-presently i will dig out the fossilised pack from the 'to be tried' kitchen cupboard and give it a go myself.here's one more-

gum paak

250 gm gum

500gm sugar

100 ml water

250 gm ghee

break up the gum into small pieces and fry a few at a time in heated ghee till puffed up.make a three thread syrup with the sugar and water and add the fried gum to this.mix,spread on a greased plate and cut into shapes when cool.

Thanks Rushina and Gingerly,

I haven't made the complete recipe but I have tried frying the gum. I had to get the oil pretty hot but then the chunks changed texture nicely (they didn't really expand) and the taste became more pronounced. Good to crunch on specially as they change back to a bit gummy giving a nice contrast.

Now my mind is racing away about gummy things and new mothers. Gums, saps, reinvigoration, etc,

Rachel

Rachel Caroline Laudan

caroline,it occurred to me sometime after posting, that there are several kinds of edible gum and that the one you have may be edible but not necessarily suitable for the recipes indicated.anyway-here's a somewhat kooky looking site but quite informative.meanwhile i think it might be worth another trip to that store to verify if indeed this is the kind you need.let us in on any exciting results!

Thanks Gingerly,

Well it certainly looks like Boswellia serrata though may be all gums look alike. But if it is, I've been munching on frankincense, as in gold, frankincense and myrrh. I'd never given much thought to what frankincense might be like. But I certainly wasn't expecting to find it in this dusty little plastic packet.

I wonder what happens when you heat it dry? A nice smell? I'll have to try that next.

The Dragon's apothecary does tend to the kooky but there's lots of information.

And I can't go back to the store as it's in Lexington Kentucky and I'm now home in central Mexico. But there's a fax number for the Delhi supplier. May be I will get inspired enough to try that. This certainly is taking me down unexpected paths,

Rachel

Rachel Caroline Laudan

okay caroline,you got me working-i found the gum and of course the name on the pack turned up nothing.did some reading and fiddling around and finally concluded it has to be gum karraya what i have is in largish,swirly lumps,white with a tinge of yellow.a lump soaked in water swelled up rather like psyllium husk does but held it's shape.fried,it turned into something that looked like a cross between popcorn and a rather brittle prawn cracker.no taste really other than the oil but a nice crunch to it.burning some produced carbon but no fragrance.

more info-here

and here

i have sambrani in a dilute form.it burns with the most wonderful fragrance.also some camphor( that i hope is edible quality.)i use it for a sweet that called for the addition of a little but i rub it on the container instead, for effect.i figure the fat and sugar will get to me before the camphor anyway!

Looking at the links, I think you are right. Gum karrya and the lower second grade too. So I can't dine out on my enounter with deep fried francincense! Too bad. But this gum does turn out to have lots of interesting properties, wouldn't you say: dental adhesive and ground meat filler etc. Thanks for pursuing this for me. I love these one-off paperchases.

Rachel

Rachel Caroline Laudan

I have to say that this is one ingredient that i have never cooked with - I have eaten it though. Right after my son was born my mother in law insisted I eat these gum balls - they are supposed to be good for new moms...

so I am curious to see what you make with them.. perhpas I will try to do something with them as well

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

• 2 weeks later...

I've come across edible gum being used to make laddoos - gond ke laddoo they're called. They're quite delicious if a bit unusual in taste and keep for a long time if made with the right proportion of ingredients. Gond laddoos are winter sweets and for expecting mothers because they're pretty rich food.