• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Key Limes...

Just need to clarify some reseach.

Is it between June and August?

Thanks!

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

Also just saw a big bag of key limes at a Safeway (in N. CA)...

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I'll just note that most of the Key Limes I see in the supermarket these days are from Mexico (not anywhere in Florida). Traditional citrus harvest season in Florida is spring - but I don't have any idea of the growing seasons in Mexico. Robyn

There's a Key lime tree in my parents' yard in West Palm Beach that's been there since before we moved in in 1970. My experience has been that it bears all year. Every few years, it tires and goes on a break for a month or so, but then it perks up and goes right back into production.

Kathleen Purvis, food editor, The Charlotte (NC) Observer