• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

You're meeting your lover for a secret rendezvous

LEdlund

Once again I need help with my book group's food theme. We just read Little Children by Tom Perrotta in which most of the characters seem to be having affairs (hence the theme). But now I don't know what to bring.... any ideas?

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

Something that you can slurp or eat with your fingers.

Something that won't leave seeds/bits in your teeth or give dragon breath.

Something to drink like champagne or tequilla. If you have champagne, you should have oysters, if you have tequilla, you should have something hot with it.

Did you mean food only? :huh:

Whipping Cream

Strawberries

Honey

A whip (for the cream, of course. Get your mind out of the gutter :wink: )

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Bring foods of love: oysters and chocolate

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

If it's a secret rendezvous, who the hell brings food? :wink:

When I was told of the theme, I thought the same thing!

These are great ideas! Too bad oysters aren't in their prime right now. Oysters and champagne would be perfect. But I also like the strawberries and "whipped" cream with some chocolate thrown in too.

What's fun about all of this is to see what everyone else brings. There are about 14 of us and rarely do we have duplicates.

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

How about children's food as featured in scenes from the novel? Pepperidge Farms goldfish from the first chapter: these could be homemade, of course, into something much nicer. Ditto for any of the other foods.

Or how about things prepared, baked, or served in plastic supermarket bags, recalling the bag of dog poop? I know, this is really reaching for a theme...

The sweetest juiciest strawberries of the season

A cold bottle of Moscato d'Asti and gorgeous flutes to drink it from that will glint beautifully in the sunshine

A soft blanket to lie upon in the grass

A boombox to play romantic music (definition of romantic music will vary wildly for various individuals)

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

If it's a secret rendezvous, who the hell brings food?  :wink:

Can I use this hysterically funny line as a sig line? :rolleyes:

And, of course, you must realize that the sensuality of a tryst can often involve food .. and we have a number of threads attesting to that, certainly!

Spicing things up need not always rely on contemplating new positions but can include a wealth of foods which will enrich and enhance the romantic interlude ...

now, while I fully agree that dragging a freshly barbecued pig on a clandestine date might raise a number of issues, it also opens up a ton of new opportunities :laugh: ...

A wise man once said: all sex and no chow makes Varmint a dull boy .... surely Mrs. Varmint has discovered that pleasures exist on many, many levels ... :laugh:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

I agree with Varmint on this one. I never used to bring food on my secret rendez-vous....I thought it was the other person's job to eat.....Never mind. Anyway, on a recent secret rendez-vous there was petit fours and champagn (he bought it, I didn't).

Otherwise try:

cherries

figs

grapes

peaches

honey

Oh yes, and for those who are challenged....sea moss.

Ya-Roo Yang aka "Bond Girl"

The Adventures of Bond Girl

I don't ask for much, but whatever you do give me, make it of the highest quality.

..I thought it was the other person's job to eat.....Never mind.

That fact remains a truism in my life (I am the "other person" :wink: ) but I've taken to bringing a home made fruit tart for my GF 'cause she just loves 'em (it's hardly secret but we live 600 miles apart and do have "rendez-vous" visits).

Chocolate dipped strawberries

Grapes

Chocolate anything

Cheesecake

Although I wouldn't bring them to a rendezvous - artichokes eaten by tearing off the leaves and scraping the meat off with your teeth..... that has a major sensuality factor.

"A jug of wine, a loaf of bread and thou" (Omar Khayyam) !

Martial.2,500 Years ago:

If pale beans bubble for you in a red earthenware pot, you can often decline the dinners of sumptuous hosts.

A corkscrew. There's no mood breaker quite like opening a wine bottle with a screwdriver from the cartrunk.

Clever way to work the word "screw" into this thread, Mabelline .... :laugh:

No one wants to struggle with a cork in the heat of passion .. time for the screw-off top? There it is again! :rolleyes:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

White Castles!

I have this friend who seemed to always dates these really beautiful women. His seduction modus operandi has always been: take them to lunch at McDonalds (where the girl actually had to pay her own meal) and back to his place for a quick tryst in front of the fireplace. Most of my guy friends still couldn't figure out how he does it.

Ya-Roo Yang aka "Bond Girl"

The Adventures of Bond Girl

I don't ask for much, but whatever you do give me, make it of the highest quality.