• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Boneless Bottom Round--Help!

scratchline

I have some boneless bottom round that has been cut into steaks that I would like to prepare on the grill. Just wondering how this is best done? Was thinking of doing a dry rub on it, but didn't know whether to cook it quickly on high heat or whether it would stand up to a low-and-slow kind of smoking treatment? Would it be better to marinate it? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

-Mike

Bottom round is very lean and sometime tough. I would marinate the steaks and then slap them on the grill and cook only to medium rare (3-4 minutes/side, depending on thickness). Because it is so lean, smoking would not be recommended. The longer you cook it the tougher it will be.

I'd go for the marinade too. Perhaps oil, bourbon, rosemary, oregano, parsley actually whatever fresh herbs you have around), & Garlic, with a rouch of balsamic. marinade them a few hours then toss em on the grill. I'd concur med rare is best, not overdone, though the marinade will help protect them from toughening a bit if you do cook them a little longer

Charles a food and wine addict - "Just as magic can be black or white, so can addictions be good, bad or neither. As long as a habit enslaves it makes the grade, it need not be sinful as well." - Victor Mollo

Recent research has shown that marinades have very little penetration even when the meat is soaked for prolonged periods.

I'd take them back to the butcher, have him add 20% beef fat, and then grind them.

And then I'd proceed to find a different butcher. Any butcher that will sell a bottom round "steak" is not worth his/her salt.

Recent research has shown that marinades have very little penetration even when the meat is soaked for prolonged periods.

I'd take them back to the butcher, have him add 20% beef fat, and then grind them.

And then I'd proceed to find a different butcher. Any butcher that will sell a bottom round "steak" is not worth his/her salt.

Agreed.

Round is good for little except for people who like their steaks well-done and smothered in a bottled sauce or well-done as a roast and smothered in gravy. Best to leave it to them as they enjoy them.

Only strip loins, rib eye, rib steaks, and t-bones (though the filet part can be thrown to young kittens to eat) are steaks.

A "ham steak" is not a steak. A "sirloin steak" or "round steak" are not steaks.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Gave it the marinade treatment. Had to cook it a little longer than I should have to satisfy my girlfriend and then tried to cut it very thin against the grain. It was edible but still too chewy to be really satisfying. Think you're right. Just grind it up, mix it with a little ground pork and veal, and make a meatloaf. Next time I'll just go for the aged porterhouse and be done with it. Thanks for the advice all.

Next time, smack it with a tenderizing mallet (or have your butcher run it through their tenderizing machine), bread it and fry it. Bottom round is good for Chicken Fried Steak, Swiss Steak and a poor man's Stroganoff.

Mmm...Chicken Fried Steak. :wub:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver