• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Perfect Combinations

Episure

Subjectively myself

My favourite combo is Goan style Triphala fish curry with red rice

Is it just a perfect marriage or conditioning acquired over a period of years?

Whatever it is, there is no way I'll break them up, it's unthinkable for me to have this fish curry with any other rice. It has to be this cheap rice which is the staple for most of the non urban bucolic types.

My favorite Dal - Rice combo is with a spoon of yogurt and some lime pickle. And a Papad.

Another one is Mooli(radish) or Gobi(cauliflower) Paratha with Yogurt and Papad.

But if it is Aloo(potato) Paratha, I'll eat it with Mango Pickle and nothing else.

An omelette( onion+ tomato+ green chillis) for me has to be accompanied with a cucumber sandwich and tomato sauce.

Chola/Chana Bhatura/Kulcha must have radish slices on the side.

I'm sure you all have your culinary idee fixes, so out with it.

I fry by the heat of my pans. ~ Suresh Hinduja

http://www.gourmetindia.com

My favorite Dal - Rice combo is with a spoon of yogurt and some lime pickle. And a Papad.

Another one is Mooli(radish) or Gobi(cauliflower) Paratha with Yogurt and Papad.

But if it is Aloo(potato) Paratha, I'll eat it with Mango Pickle

I feel the same way you do about these combos....they are truly matches made in heaven.

Moong dal kitcheree, for me, must also have pickle, yogurt, and papar.

Because of my early childhood conditioning a grilled cheese sandwhich must be served with tomato soup. If it is impossible than ketchup is an ok subsitute, but at least one must be there.

Edward Hamann

Cooking Teacher

Indian Cooking

edhamann@hotmail.com

matches made in heaven...Edward

My soulmate is Rasa vadai - i need to have it at least once a month, twice if I remember my mom's rasam...

Raghavan

Edited by raghavan iyer (log)

Raghavan Iyer, CCP

Winner of 2004 IACP Award of Excellence (formerly Julia Child Awards): Cooking Teacher of the Year

2003 James Beard Awards Finalist for Best International Cookbook - The Turmeric Trail: Recipes and Memories from an Indian Childhood (St. Martin’s Press, 2002) -

Betty Crocker’s Indian Home Cooking (Wiley, 2001)

Spiral Parottas and Vegetable/Chicken/Egg Korma.

These Parathas are spelled like so in Southern India and are also called Kerala/Sri lankan Parottas. If you all have never seen one, I'll take a pic and post one.

Lakshmi has posted an excellent recipe for the Vegetable Korma and sounds better than my version. Lakshmi's Korma

You can use the same recipe to make the other versions.

I fry by the heat of my pans. ~ Suresh Hinduja

http://www.gourmetindia.com

kofta or egg curry with puris.

beetroot or radish dal with rice, lots of ghee and mango pickle.

idlies and chutney (penaut, coconut or tomato)

chicken curry with rice and lots of yogurt. or kema and rice, with lots of yogurt. that works too.

Edited by tryska (log)

• 2 weeks later...
it's unthinkable for me to have this fish curry with any other rice. It has to be this cheap rice which is the staple for most of the non urban bucolic types.

Probably it is conditioning over the years, I prefer parboiled (converted rice) rice with most south Indian curries, especially Kerala curries with lots of coconut in the sauce. When the curries I serve are north Indian I do want the rice to be Basmati.

With idli and dosa the chutrney must be made with fresh coconut (another Kerala obsession, I admit).

With Pulihara (tamarind rice) I want tomato rasam, papad and booralu.

Ammini

Ammini Ramachandran

www.Peppertrail.com

it's unthinkable for me to have this fish curry with any other rice. It has to be this cheap rice which is the staple for most of the non urban bucolic types.

Probably it is conditioning over the years, I prefer parboiled (converted rice) rice with most south Indian curries, especially Kerala curries with lots of coconut in the sauce. When the curries I serve are north Indian I do want the rice to be Basmati.

With idli and dosa the chutrney must be made with fresh coconut (another Kerala obsession, I admit).

With Pulihara (tamarind rice) I want tomato rasam, papad and booralu.

Ammini

you should try the medium grain japanese rices with south indian curries. they take a lot of rinsing, but mm..so sticky and delicious.

Kali(black) masoor dal with basmati rice, a spoon of ghee(clarified butter) on top. Served with papad, not fried but roasted over open fire and mint chutney. This shall be my last meal.

Welcome to the forum ! I'm curious about the kali masoor dal - could you please elaborate?

Suman

Kali(black) masoor dal with basmati rice, a spoon of ghee(clarified butter) on top. Served with papad, not fried but roasted over open fire and mint chutney. This shall be my last meal.

Welcome to the forum ! I'm curious about the kali masoor dal - could you please elaborate?

Suman

Kali masoor is just whole masoor with the cover still intact.

how about puris and pudhina chutney I don't even want my aloo curry with it if it is there then I love it any way

of course puris are fried rotis, with pudhina (mint) chutney being made of zeera, ginger, tid of tamarind, green chilli a small amout is enough for flavour only, one garlic clove, and coriander leaves :shock: and last not the least mint leaves 1 cup.. I don't know any other way.. I wade my way

Edited by Geetha (log)

i just wanted to say, partly spurred by the peanut butter sadnwich thread that a piece of fluffy white bread, toasted, and slathered with penaut butter and patak's garlic pickle is sublime, and not to be tampered wiht.

that is all.