• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Favorite Sandwich

Daniel

I invented a hamburger based on the Mexican torta.

Tortaburger. You start with telera, toasted and sliced, add avocado, lettuce, tomato, onion, refried beans, mayonaise, jalapeno, and grilled hamburger.

What is telera? I am sorry if this is a common thing, i being an east coaster have very little contact with any good mexican food. Assuming that telera is mexican.

I had something that reminds me of your sandwich kind of. It was because of a wrong push of a button at a vending machine in the middle of no where in illinios. It was a sub sandwich served with refried beans on the bottom, jalepenos and monteray on top and mayo. I just assumed it was a grilled chicken sandwich until i took the first the bite when I unwrapped it after taking it out of the industrial sized microwave. I dont if it reminded me of the days eating the 7 eleven truck stoppers as a red eyed youth, or the idea of using the vending machine. But it was pretty dam good.

tortas are gooooood...

i can tell you what kind of sandwich i do NOT recommend and that is the one i ate for lunch today.

whole wheat tortilla, low fat cheddar, prosciutto, grilled chicken breast and tomato with mayo.

it had some good points, but did not make a good combination as a whole. that's what you get when you put whatever leftover crap you have in your fridge into your lunch.

I've got to weigh in on the Turkey Day sandwich love. I make mine an open-faced turkey sandwich, with the layers as follows:

- Thick sliced, soft italian bread

- Flavored butter of some kind (I usually do either a roasted chile & garlic butter, or a tart cranberry-orange butter)

- Cranberry relish, always very tart (unless the flavored butter was cranberry, in which case I skip this)

- Stuffing

- Turkey - a nice mix of dark & white meat with some crispy skin

- Macaroni & cheese (homemade with good sharp chedder and gruyere, with bits of the crispy breadcrumb topping)

- Gravy over top

It's the whole meal in one sandwich. The only sad part is that the gravy renders the sandwich un-pick-up-able, therefore I go with the open-faced approach. I'm looking forward to Thanksgiving already!

:biggrin::biggrin:

...wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --Alexander Pope

_yankee3.JPG

My favorite Italian meat combo: The "Yankee Stadium" from Mike's Deli In the Arthur Avenue Retail Market in the Bronx.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

My favourite:

Medium rare roast pork loin. Real mayo, Dijon mustard (Maille). Normandy cultured butter. Good salt, much cracked pepper. A few grape tomatoes or some teeny full sour pickles.

I serve and like many more complex sandwiches, but this is what I really love.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Favorite sandwiches:

The Cuban Sandwich handed out the window of the hole-in-the-wall tiny little restaurant on 14th Street and Sixth Avenue.

Almost any sandwich from The Second Avenue Deli (but maybe most of all a corned beef, turkey and tongue with coleslaw and 'russian' dressing on that soft steamed rye bread...)(Don't forget the bowl of pickles...)

A shish-kebob sandwich from the Greek place on Montague Street.

A meatball hero topped with hot peppers and melted good mozzarella cheese with enough sauce to drip and ruin my shirt...

A barbecue sandwich (pork with the vinegary sauce) from another dumpy little place with a ridiculous name in Lumberton, North Carolina.

At home: A freshly made steak sandwich on a nice baguette with a sesame-soy mayonaisse and chopped scallions...

A 'Thanksgiving' sandwich of thin sliced turkey breast (not from the deli, please), leftover sausage-apple stuffing, gravy, and cranberry sauce on a baguette. (Yeah, another really messy sandwich!)

An 'Italian Tuna' sandwich...albacore tuna mixed with mayo, lemon juice, minced flat-leaf parsley, chopped garlic, salt and pepper, spread onto a roll or baguette, topped witha thin slice of tomato and a fatter slice of provolone, wrapped in aluminum foil and heated in 375 oven for 25 minutes or so till hot, melted, crusty (what great words, huh?!).

Sigh. What can compare with great sandwiches? The ultimate comfort food. And the ultimate chow-down food! :smile:

Almost forgot one.

Thin slices of black forest ham grilled slightly with slivers of onions in clarified butter. Put on toasted thick waffles, top with cream gravy made with pan drippings. Sunny side up egg on top of that and a tiny drizzle of maple syrup if you're in that sort of mood.

Heaven.

My favourite:

Medium rare roast pork loin. Real mayo, Dijon mustard (Maille). Normandy cultured butter. Good salt, much cracked pepper. A few grape tomatoes or some teeny full sour pickles.

I serve and like many more complex sandwiches, but this is what I really love.

Sounds wonderful Jinmyo... the butter sounds great with it..

A few other favorite pork sandwiches (can not pick only one):

1. From Philly (DeNic's or Tony Lukes): roasted pork, aged provolone and broccoli raab sauteed w/garlic and red pepper.

2. Carolina pulled pork (eastern style vinegar sauce) and slaw on a bun

3. Roast pork on rye bread with mayo, grated fresh horseradish, salt and pepper

Others:

4. Westphalian Ham sliced paper thin and swiss cheese on good rye bread, buttered.

6. Smoked liverwurst on toasted rye bread, lots of paper thin cucumbers, mayo, salt and pepper.

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

_yankee3.JPG

My favorite Italian meat combo: The "Yankee Stadium" from Mike's Deli In the Arthur Avenue Retail Market in the Bronx.

Can you please break down the contents of that sangwich please.. I might just start watching sports.

Sliced and slightly smushed avocado (one per sandwich), good handful of grated mozarella, smaller handful of alfalfa sprouts, between wheat bread with mayo and mustard: creamy and crunchy at once, plus the added entertainment factor of attempted escape by avocado pieces and gooey goodness of comfort food. Eat using both hands.

Re: Yankee Stadium contents:

According to the description on the catering menu, its mortadella, ham, salami, cappicola, provolone, fresh mozzarella, lettuce, basil and sweet and hot peppers "Morante style".

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...=0entry262877

I will note that while the meats used in that sandwich sound rather pedestrian, the ones at used at Mikes Deli are by far the most excellent quality -- their mozzarella is extremely fresh and the bread is baked that day.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

I used to be quite fond of two from a local sub-shop, Capriotti's.

One was the Capastrami - nice sub roll, warm pastrami, really tasty cole-slaw, russian dressing, and provolone.

The other was their turkey dinner sub: Fresh roasted turkey (they roasted turkeys and baked bread fresh every day), tart cranberry sauce, warm stuffing, mayo, cheese of some variety, and I think something else that I can't quite recall.... I believe some people call this type of sandwhich a 'White Horse'.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

Runner-ups to the Yankee Stadium at Mike's:

i5340.jpg

TC Fireman's Special, a spicier version of the Yankee Stadium -- hot sorpressata, genoa salami and peppered ham on it, in addition to hot and sweet peppers with lettuce, tomato and fresh mozarella

i5342.jpg

The "Albanian", Bresaola with Greek Feta

:blink: MUST... HAVE... SANDWICH... :blink:

this will probably be gross but...

while up in the upper islands of lake champlain my breakfasts have been black forest ham and swiss cheese with miracle whip on cheap white toast - sorry guys i guess there is more of a tt steak in me than i ever believed :shock:

course i use fresh jersey tomatoes and some cool local lettuces to complete the sarnie....

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I like all kinds of sandwiches, so it's hard for me to say what my faves are. But here are a few:

1. I love pastrami. It's not something I eat often, but when I do, it's just simple pastrami on rye. I don't condiments, just pastrami and rye. The rye may have seeds...

2. I love a good reuben... deliciously messy. I would never eat Russian dressing on a salad, but I guess it's just fine on a sandwich.

3. Tuna fish salad, made with real mayo, good tuna, carrot, onion, celery, a little finely shredded red cabbage, and a drop of lemon juice. I don't care what kind of bread. I sometimes like some potato chips on the sandwich, too, and possibly some hot peppers. Especially when I was pregnant...

Those are three that come to mind...

-- Judy B

If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay home.

--James Michener

Does falafel count? The best I've ever had (and please do note that I have never been to the Middle East, so say what you will) is at L'As du Fallafel on rue des Rosiers in Paris. A soft but sturdy pita stuffed to overflow with fabulously fresh and crispy knobs of falafel, green and purple cabbage slaws, julienned cucumber, chopped tomatoes (I believe), and hummus, the whole liberally doused with tahini sauce. "Sauce piquante" is essential. Oh, it's so lovely. :rolleyes:

She blogs: Orangette

I would certainly count falafel. I would like to see a couple of balls mixed with gyro, FF, L, T, HS,WS,O,. :smile:

I also would like to add: 1)summer sausage aka lebanon bologna on buttered white bread with potato chips. 2) Also chicken keiv on ciabatta bread with l,t,m,o.

Sliced and slightly smushed avocado (one per sandwich), good handful of grated mozarella, smaller handful of alfalfa sprouts, between wheat bread with mayo and mustard: creamy and crunchy at once, plus the added entertainment factor of attempted escape by avocado pieces and gooey goodness of comfort food. Eat using both hands.

This is something like the sandwhich I often get at Pret a Manger: avocado and thinly slice parmesan (such a good combination), sprouts, tomato, arugula, and -- the best part -- pine nuts. On WW bread which, quite frankly, could be better (it's mushy).

I figure I'm probably a minority of one on this, but I don't like sandwiches that make me break my jaw in order to take a bit. :angry:

I figure I'm probably a minority of one on this, but I don't like sandwiches that make me break my jaw in order to take a bit. :angry:

Oh no, I quite agree.

A sandwich is meant to be eaten. By a person. By the person it is made for. If I serve sandwiches, they are scaled according to what I know or can see of who is eating them.

In any case, I loathe food spilling and oozing. Then it becomes garbage.

I like tidy food in that I like it to be food that can be eaten rather than which must be wiped from face, fingers, and frock.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

This sandwich is only worth making with the bestest bestest ingredients, & then it's the bestest sandwich in the world:

8 or 9 inches of baguette (has to be totally fresh and crisp), split lengthwise

with

a slather of unsalted butter

filled with

sliced ham (Black Forest, or Jambon de Bayonne, or Jamon de Serrano, or Prosciutto de Parma)

and

a few slices of cheese – whatever your preference, but make sure it's good. Something in a Tomme style works for me.

While attending a recent Phillies game I had a Schmitter sandwich. This is named after former Phillie great Mike Schmitt, grilled steak with melted cheese, grilled onion, a slice of tomato and topped with a hunk of grilled salami on a hard roll with a sort of russian dressing sauce. This was the best ballpark sandwich I have had.

This time of year I second the call for the tomato sandwich, a juicy warm tomato, a crank or two of pepper, some sea salt, just enough mayo to moisten the bread. Wonderful.

However my favorite is still sweet bologna and cheese with spicy mustard on Martins potato roll. This is a Pa specaity but I love it.

When sweet onions are available, an onion sandwich. Spread some good tasting soft white bread with Hellman's. Slice the onion paper thin and pile it on. Sprinkle with s&p or Jane's Krazy Salt. Eat with an ice cold beer. Nap.

When the avocados are particularly good... only buttery Haas need apply... spread a multi-grain bread with mayo, add avocado slices, a little thinly sliced sweet onion, add lentil sprouts, mayo, sprinkle with the Jane's.

There is something about the Jane's that is particularly good with veggies.

Lentil sprouts are my hands down favorite for sandwiches and salads. I sprout them myself from the bag from the grocery.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose