• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Favorite Sandwich

Daniel

While sitting here eating my turkey w/ roasted red peppers on provolone , proschuitto bread, I wonder what other good sandwiches there are out there that i havent tried yet. Yesterday, I ordered something called an Italian Cheeseburger Sub. It was several cheeseburger patties on a sub roll lathered in mustard and mayo with peppers and onions. It was then topped with cheese whiz french fries swimming in ketchup. It was a little too much , but the fact that it was something new.

I want people to post their favorite sandwich or their must uncommon sandwich. For example what is the best italian meat combination. Dressings and whatever. Just looking for new ideas for lunch.

Hmmm... This is a hard one to answer.

Here's what I do know:

I only like hot sandwiches for the most part.

Melted cheese is a good thing.

OK, I just thought of a favorite (not THE favorite, just up there):

It's called Avocado Luck.

Take a great quality bread (I use Zingerman's Farm Bread) and cut two generous pieces. Brush one side of each with olive oil. Place one piece oil side down on a Lean Mean Grilling Machine. Add sliced avocado (I use quite a bit), provolone cheese, and a drizzle of raspberry vinaigrette. Place other piece of bread on top, oil side up. Close machine. Cook till nice and melty and crispy. Eat. :biggrin:

Danielle Altshuler Wiley

a.k.a. Foodmomiac

While sitting here eating my turkey w/ roasted red peppers on provolone , proschuitto bread, I wonder what other good sandwiches there are out there that i havent tried yet. Yesterday, I ordered something called an Italian Cheeseburger Sub. It was several cheeseburger patties on a sub roll lathered in mustard and mayo with peppers and onions. It was then topped with cheese whiz french fries swimming in ketchup. It was a little too much , but the fact that it was something new.

I want people to post their favorite sandwich or their must uncommon sandwich. For example what is the best italian meat combination. Dressings and whatever. Just looking for new ideas for lunch.

That is not an italian cheeseburger sub

It is a Fat Cat. http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=38713&hl=

Adding Bacon & Eggs is another option.

-mjr

ps I always had a soft spot for edam cheese, fresh sliced tomatoes, butter on wheatbread and S&P.

�As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy, and to make plans.� - Ernest Hemingway, in �A Moveable Feast�

Brooklyn, NY, USA

A really good BLT is always my favorite - on good, toasted wheat bread, with really good, ripe tomatoes and crisp bacon. A little avocado in there is good, too.

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

Haha. I know what a fat cat is my friend.. I grew up in East Brunswick NJ. Mr C's was my go to daily.. I was actually going to post a couple of grease truck type things here.. Here is a menu and description.

TRADITIONAL FAT SANDWICHES

All FAT Sandwiches - $4.00

#1 FAT CAT

Cheese Burger, F.F., L.T., Mayo & Ketchup

#2 CHICKEN FAT CAT

Grilled Chicken, F.F., L.T., Mayo & Ketchup

#3 FAT SAM

Cheese Steak, Grilled Chicken, F.F., L.T., Mayo & Ketchup

#4 FAT DARREL

Chicken Fingers, Mozzarrela Sticks, Marinara Sauce, F.F.

#5 FAT KOKO

Pizza Steak, Mozzarrela Sticks, F.F.

#6 CHICKEN FINGERS FAT CAT

Chicken Fingers, F.F., L.T., Mayo & Ketchup

#7 FAT NIGHT

Cheese Steak, Chicken Fingers, Mozzarrela Sticks, Marinara Sauce, F.F.

#8 FAT BITCH

Cheese Steak, Mozzarrela Sticks, Chicken Fingers, F.F., Ketchup

#9 FAT ELVIS (JASON)

Gyro, Mozzarrela Sticks, F.F., L.T., White Sauce, Hot Sauce

#10 FAT MOON

Chicken Fingers, Bacon, Egg, F.F., L.T., Mayo & Ketchup

#11 FAT BASTARD

Gyro, Chicken Fingers, Mozzarrela Sticks, F.F., L.T., Mayo & Ketchup

#12 FAT ROMANO

Cheese Steak, Egg, Pork Roll, F.F., L.T., Mayo & Ketchup

#13 FAT BEDI-BOY

Cheese Burger, Grilled Chicken, Mozzarrela Sticks, Marinara Sauce, F.F.

#14 FAT BUDDAH

Cheese Burger, Pork Roll, Egg, F.F., L.T., Mayo & Ketchup

#15 FAT BULLS

Cheese Steak, Gyro, F.F., L.T., White Sauce, Hot Sauce

VEGGIE LOVERS

#25 VEGGIE BURGER FAT CAT

Veggie Burger, F.F., L.T., Mayo & Ketchup

#26 VEGGIE INDIAN

Falafel, Mozzarrela Sticks, Marinara Sauce, Hot Sauce, F.F., L.T.

#27 VEGGIE KOKO

Mozzarrela Sticks, Marinara Sauce, F.F., L.T.

#28 VEGGIE BRIAN ($4.50)

Veggie Burger, Mozzarrela Sticks, F.F., L.T., Mayo & Ketchup

#29 FALAFEL ON PITA ($3.00)

White Sauce, Hot Sauce, L.T.

#30 HUMUS ON PITA POCKET ($3.00)

White Sauce, Hot Sauce, L.T.

#31 BABA GHANOUSH ($3.00)

Eggplant on Pita, L.T.

#32 GRAPE LEAVES ($3.00)

On Pita, White Sauce, L.T.

Here is a picture of another grease truck samich

i10379.jpg

And here is a picture of another one of my favorites. My 4 pound baby boy i cooked up.

i9207.jpg

#15 FAT BULLS

Cheese Steak, Gyro, F.F., L.T., White Sauce, Hot Sauce

Is "white sauce" like tzatziki (sp)???? :blink:

My God. We don't have ANYTHING like these Fat Cats in D.C.

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Oh sorry got caught up in the trucks.. The difference between the Italian and fat cat is the pepper, onions.. Like if you get an italian hot dog it comes onions,peppers, and fries. Fat is: L,T,FF.. Also on all fat sandwiches i believe it is crucial to go white sauce hot sauce, bacon.

Oh sorry got caught up in the trucks.. The difference between the Italian and fat cat is the pepper, onions.. Like if you get an italian hot dog it comes onions,peppers, and fries. Fat is: L,T,FF.. Also on all fat sandwiches i believe it is crucial to go white sauce hot sauce, bacon.

HOT SAUCE IS CRUCIAL!!!

GET EXTRA NAPKINS! :biggrin:

�As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy, and to make plans.� - Ernest Hemingway, in �A Moveable Feast�

Brooklyn, NY, USA

Do you go with cheese on that? Roasted Red Peppers or marinated mushrooms

oh yeah! i forgot the provolone.

and mayo and spicy mustard. i tend to be purist with that particular sandwich - no veggies of any sort.

i haven't had one in a long time, actually. since i moved south, actually.

another favorite is a pastrami on pumpernickel (don't like rye) with mustard.

Get yourself a big round bread. Cut in half and scoop out some of the innards. Drizzle with good olive oil and a sprinkle of red wine vinegar, a little oregano. Layer provolone, genoa, soppressata, good ham, more provolone. Hot peppers and red onions optional. More oil and vinegar. Smash top on, wrap in foil, stick in 350-375 oven with a weight on it. Bake until cheese gets gooey.

I also like extra sharp cheddar and bacon grilled with lots of butter on cinnamon raisin bread. Sounds odd but it works.

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Get yourself a big round bread. Cut in half and scoop out some of the innards. Drizzle with good olive oil and a sprinkle of red wine vinegar, a little oregano. Layer provolone, genoa, soppressata, good ham, more provolone. Hot peppers and red onions optional. More oil and vinegar. Smash top on, wrap in foil, stick in 350-375 oven with a weight on it. Bake until cheese gets gooey.

I also like extra sharp cheddar and bacon grilled with lots of butter on cinnamon raisin bread. Sounds odd but it works.

I was expecting a little basil on that bad boy too!

Wow bacon cinnamon grilled cheese. Thats a new one to me.

See 2 posts below...Technical issues.

Edited by TJHarris do to being a loser.

Edited by TJHarris (log)

Tobin

It is all about respect; for the ingredient, for the process, for each other, for the profession.

Though I don't usually make them myself, I love sandwiches with roasted red peppers on them.

There's a joint in Santa Cruz that specializes in turkey sandwiches: the turkey is just like leftover Thanksgiving bird. And they put stuffing and cranberry sauce on them, with grated carrots and lettuce, and there is nothing better.

My own post-Thanksgiving turkey sandwiches have shiitake mushroom stuffing and shiitake-sherry cream gravy, and I'd feed those to the Queen of England. Or someone else very rich whom I actually liked and admired.

Sharp cheddar is good. Toasted sourdough bread is good.

Grilled cheese is even better.

Substitute Capacollo for the ham. Peppers and onions manditory!

Tobin

It is all about respect; for the ingredient, for the process, for each other, for the profession.

Though I don't usually make them myself, I love sandwiches with roasted red peppers on them.

There's a joint in Santa Cruz that specializes in turkey sandwiches: the turkey is just like leftover Thanksgiving bird. And they put stuffing and cranberry sauce on them, with grated carrots and lettuce, and there is nothing better.

My own post-Thanksgiving turkey sandwiches have shiitake mushroom stuffing and shiitake-sherry cream gravy, and I'd feed those to the Queen of England. Or someone else very rich whom I actually liked and admired.

Sharp cheddar is good. Toasted sourdough bread is good.

Grilled cheese is even better.

My grilled cheese of choice these days is with truffle butter and gruyere. But i must acknowledge how awesome that turkey shiitake sandwich sounds. Is this shiitake stuffing w/ cream recipe a heavily guarded seceret. I think i might have some royalty in my family, I am not positive, but I am pretty certain. :laugh:

Grated strong Cheddar cheese on wholemeal bread with enough sliced shallots to bring tears to your eyes. (after some red wine).

Martial.2,500 Years ago:

If pale beans bubble for you in a red earthenware pot, you can often decline the dinners of sumptuous hosts.

Grated strong Cheddar cheese on wholemeal bread with enough sliced shallots to bring tears to your eyes. (after some red wine).

Wow.. Would you put any type of dressing on that.

Whenever I want to make my sandwich *really good*, I add bacon. Easy, que no? This works on egg salad, peanut butter, melted cheese, etc.

I fry one or two pounds at a shot, place the slices on wax paper, and freeze them. 20 seconds in the microwave and you're set...........

I'm a canning clean freak because there's no sorry large enough to cover the, "Oops! I gave you botulism" regrets.