• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Corkage fees

Wilfrid

If a restaurant is using BYO as a selling point, well then there is lack of confidence in the other aspects of what makes a restaurant great.

As a selling point, I agree. But as a business decision, it's another matter entirely. There are many different types and levels of restuarants for a very diverse clientele. I've been to Mark's restaurant years ago. When I walk into a place like that, I do not think BYO (and I wouldn't even call to ask about corkage). But there are yet plenty of establishments that serve up great food, have professional service staff, and an attractive ambience that have also chosen to allow BYO. I don't think that makes those places any "less" of a restaurant.

Yes, there are abusers. And I'm embarassed when I'm out with a group of local wine geeks who show up with 2-3 bottles per person then try to push around the serving staff. I don't do those mega BYO events anymore.

I'm fortunate enough to live in a metropolitan area that has many terrific BYO-friendly places. I'm also fortunate that there are many places with very well put-together and consumer-friendly wine lists (where I don't even bother to bring my own).

But, as a consumer, I think it is short-sighted to dismiss out of hand any restaurant that does not allow BYO. To those people I would say look at the list, look at the quality of everything you go to a restaurant for, and then make your judgment. Granted, there will still be those whose door you will never darken. But I would also wager there will be those you will enjoy that you might otherwise have missed out on.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

I didn't mean to imply that offering BYO makes a restaurant any "less" in any way. If I did somehow, that was not my intent or position.

Using it as a selling point is dubious.

I can be reached via email chefzadi AT gmail DOT com

Dean of Culinary Arts

Ecole de Cuisine: Culinary School Los Angeles

http://ecolecuisine.com